NEurope
Ashley

Super Mario Galaxy

The answer could becuase DS hardware sales than Wii hardware sales
That's what I said, the portable market is very different! But still, I hope this game sells incredibly well!

Gamespot's review http://www.gamespot.com/wii/action/supermario128/review.html?sid=6182474&tag=topslot;title;1&om_act=convert&om_clk=topslot

9.5/10

The Good

# Some of the best level designs of any 3D platformer

# Beautiful, colorful graphics

# Controls work just about flawlessly in nearly every situation

# Soundtrack is a delight

# Lots of stages and tons of stars to find and collect

The Bad

* A couple of Mario's special suits can be frustrating to use

* Minimal amount of story doesn't tie everything together especially well.

The sales don't surprise me much, good but not amazingly stunning. The thing is from what I've noticed, among casual gamers, even ones that liked Mario 64 a lot, there's not much hype for Galaxy. I think after the Gamecube a lot of them just have this mental image that the franchise "went down the drain" and even if they see this game looks good they probably think it'll be like Sunshine. I mentioned the game to someone the other day after the first reviews came in and he was like "I think Galaxy will probably turn out poorly" as he hadn't heard much. When I first showed videos to some people after E3 2006 the reaction wasn't really positive, just more like "How does it control with THAT thing?! Isn't it hard?!"

I don't really think it's Nintendo's fault with advertising or anything of the sort. Perhaps part of the issue too though is that because of the huge casual interest in the console, more systems are being snapped up by casual gamers than hardcore, with hardcore gamers that would usually buy a system on a "whim" choosing not to because they're so damn hard to find. So the main Wii audience will watch Galaxy adverts and not even think about them, yet when the Wii fit ones are rolling they'll jump from their chairs and go crazy.

Anyway the game's sales are still nice enough but I have a sinking feeling they're not going to remain consistently strong and the game will plummet from the Japanese charts like every other non-casual Wii title has after the hardcore crowd has picked it up. That'd be a real shame for a title of this quality, especially a Mario game.

Hopefully western sales are strong and it sells consistently well for a while. This is the very definition of a big Christmas hit, or at least it should be.

Dudes... the game was released Thursday. 250k in the first week's not all that bad.

I can never watch gametrailers reviews of games I know I'm buying nowadays. It's just one long chain of spoilers, they don't hold back at all with the footage they show.

I did skip to see the score though! Excellent.

Dudes... the game was released Thursday. 250k in the first week's not all that bad.

No one said it is but if a game is one of the best ever, naturally people want it to have some of the best SALES ever. NSMB managed 900,000 first week, though of course with a larger install base and that game is honestly pretty naff in comparison to almost every other Mario. Game sales go down drastically after the first week too, so it might be that Galaxy never sells a million copies in Japan.

Sunshine sold 280k in its first week!

Now now, even though you both give valid arguments, I wouldn't see why SMG wouldn't be a great game saleswise. This game is the first genuine must own game on the wii (or so it would seem), so it's guaranteed sales as long as the Wii's alive and kicking.

Besides, saying the game flopped or something like that in this early stage of its lifecycle is just stupid. There have to have been killer apps in the past where sales picked up after release?

I am suprised about it selling 250,000. I mean what about the supposed 700,000 pre-orders??

Yes the DS has a bigger consumer base but I am telling you now even if Wii and the DS had the same user base NSMB would of still sold more. remember when that was released DS hardware sales went through the roof.

Wii Hardware sales numbers should be released tomorrow. I pretty worried about Galaxy not shifting units to be honest. 250,000 in first week means next week will be lower as the 1st week is the strongest.

250k isn't a bad start. You guys don't seem to appreciate the legs Wii games have had, combined with the fact the whole Japanese market is on a slump at the moment (in both hardware and software). Sales are obviously going to pick up in time for Christmas, and the game will be a consistent seller probably for all of 2008, much like Wii Sport, Wii Play, Super Paper Mario and Mario PArty 8 have been in Japan.

Also someone said Nintendo might use 'poor' sales of Bwii / MEtroid / SMG to justify making more casual games. Well all I can say is non of those games have sold poorly. Metroid Prime 3 will easily break 1 million and is set to become the best selling in the franchise, whereas SMG and Bwii are just too soon to tell. We all know SMG is going to kick arse in Europe and the US anyway though.

I think the hardware estimates were like 45000 Wii's or so, which isn't really much of a drastic increase. Could be because of lack of hardware though.

You guys don't seem to appreciate the legs Wii games have had

The only Wii games that have had legs in Japan are Wii Sports and Wii play. Even Fire Emblem dropped like a stone from the charts.

Also no one is really saying the game has bombed or had a "bad start", this is being read wrong. The thing is it's just disappointing that with the already pretty large Wii install base, the game didn't have a FANTASTIC start and wasn't massively hyped and queued for.

Just read IGN'S review (well skimmed read) 9.7 WOW!

One thing which worried me, but i'm probably over-reacting...The game only has 40 Galaxies?!

Thats fine if they get much bigger and more challenging...but i've seen at least 5 which are quite small...

I don't know why i'm worried, Mario/Nintendo have never let me down!

I just don't want it to end and thats even before playing it! :D

methinks Rokhed should go to GAME next Thursday evening, dressed as Peach.

I don't really suit blond, besides I like to show off my legs.

Just watched the GT review and my hype for this game has gone through the roof! Just over a week to go!!!!

I think the hardware estimates were like 45000 Wii's or so, which isn't really much of a drastic increase. Could be because of lack of hardware though.

The only Wii games that have had legs in Japan are Wii Sports and Wii play. Even Fire Emblem dropped like a stone from the charts.

Also no one is really saying the game has bombed or had a "bad start", this is being read wrong. The thing is it's just disappointing that with the already pretty large Wii install base, the game didn't have a FANTASTIC start and wasn't massively hyped and queued for.

so Wii got a roughly 25,000 increase in Wii sales due to SMG. Not really sure if that is bad or good. could be worse I suppose, look at Zack & Wiki. I think that bombed.

http://www.cubed3.com/news/8958

1.) Super Mario Galaxy (Wii) - 256,000

2.) Ace Combat 6 (Xbox 360) - 67,000

3.) Final Fantasy Tactics A2 (NDS) - 52,000 | 210,000

4.) Nishimura Kyotaro (NDS) - 21,000 | 96,000

5.) Super Robot Wars Scramble Command the 2nd (PS2) - 20,000

6.) Pokémon Mystery Dungeon Time / Darkness (NDS) - 19,000 | 1,030,000

7.) Nintendo Literature Collection (NDS) - 19,000 | 79,000

8.) Wii Sports (Wii) - 17,000 | 2,074,000

9.) Wii Play (Wii) - 16,000 | 1,632,000

10.) Ar Tonelico II (PS2) - 14,000 | 82,000

12.) Kanken DS (NDS) - 13,000

16.) Dragon Tamer - 10,000

18.) Kanken DS 2 (NDS) - 9,000 | 98,000

20.) Ghost Squad (Wii) - 8,300 | 25,000

21.) Dragon Ball Z (PS2) - 7,600 | 281,000

22.) My Housekeeping Diary (NDS) - 7,200 | 267,000

26.) Mario Party 8 (Wii) - 6,800 | 877,000

29.) Sangokushi DS 2 (NDS) - 6,600

30.) Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII (PSP) - 6,200 | 72,9000

G1 Jockey (PS2) - 5,900

Idolmaster (360) - 5,600

G1 Jockey (PS3) - 4,500

Moto GP (PS2) - 3,800

Oneechanbara (360) - 3,300

Gears of War (360) - 3,100

Opoona (Wii) - 3,000

Dead Rising (360) - 2,100

Gears of War (360) - 2,100

Dead or Alive 4 (360) - 900

Lost Planet (360) - 700

Dead or Alive X2 (360) - 700

Project Sylpheed (360) - 600

hardware

Nintendo DS - 80,000

PlayStation Portable - 57,000

Wii - 41,000

Xbox 360 - 17,000

PlayStation 3 - 16,000

PlayStation 2 - 11,000

Zack and Wiki got to 29 in it's first week. God knows for the second. Don't care much about the Mario sales, i'll care and question the Japanese if it drops out the charts fast.

I bet any money Wii Fit will do better than Galaxy.

Wow! 9.7 from IGN, 9.5 from Gamespot and 9.8 from Gametrailers?

Those are some awesome scores.

Now we'll have to deal with the legion of dissapointed fans.

It would be better if it got 8.8:laughing:

What a GT review! Without having played a single jump in it, this game looks legendary...

It's absurd to think about it, but the game seems of such quality that it's something that may never be surpassed.

Got my subscription copy of NGamer mag this morning and they gave Mario a 97. Graphics 10, Audio 10, Gameplay 10, and Innovation 9.

I only looked at the score and skipped the rest.

Is the GT video review spoiler free or not? Just found out this has a metroid style achievement system....woohoo.

Is the GT video review spoiler free or not? Just found out this has a metroid style achievement system....woohoo.

I've heard that it contains spoilers, like new areas and stuff. So I'm not watching it. :p