NEurope
Ashley

Super Mario Galaxy

Does anyone know if the collect 100 coins for a star thingy is back in this game?

According to the ONM questionnaire it's not.

"Are the levels big enough to allow a decent mixture of running around aimlessly and completing your goal?

Sort of. The levels are very large, but you won't be running about them "aimlessly" like yo udid in Sunshine and (to a lesser extent) Mario 64. Because there are stars that blast you to other areas, most of the time once you've blasted off you can't return to that area. While this seems like it might be annoying, there's really no need to go back to an area once you've been there: you don't get a star for collecting 100 coins any more so there's no need to backtrack."

EDIT: How did that guy get his sensor bar glowing like that?

Most cameras catch the infrared lights. If you take a picture or record a video of your sensor bar when your Wii is on you will be able to see the lights in the picture.

there's really no need to go back to an area once you've been there: you don't get a star for collecting 100 coins any more so there's no need to backtrack."

No backtracking? Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Heh. I kid.

According to the ONM questionnaire it's not.

"Are the levels big enough to allow a decent mixture of running around aimlessly and completing your goal?

Sort of. The levels are very large, but you won't be running about them "aimlessly" like yo udid in Sunshine and (to a lesser extent) Mario 64. Because there are stars that blast you to other areas, most of the time once you've blasted off you can't return to that area. While this seems like it might be annoying, there's really no need to go back to an area once you've been there: you don't get a star for collecting 100 coins any more so there's no need to backtrack."

Thanks for that although I should have seen it as I have this months issue.

He says it took him 8-9 hours and he already knew the first portion of the game. I'd say it'll be more like 10-12 for a first time player and up to 20 for 120 stars, which isn't bad at all.

On the EDGE discussion, I highly doubt EDGE will give this a 10. I'll still be furious when it doesn't. EDGE used to save 10 scores for games that redefine the genre. Goldeneye only got a 9! I think they've been handing out 10s too much of late.

According to the scans of the player's guide, you have to attain 100% completion, which includes collecting purple coins. However, the reward is actually worth it for once. Mechanics for Luigi are different (higher jump, faster run, slower stop), and supposedly make the game a bit more challenging.

Quote from Limited Edition SMG Guide: "That's right. If you beat Bowser again after collecting all 120 stars, you get to play the game as Luigi. And let me tell you, the game is a little tougher as Luigi because the bro with the green duds jumps and runs differently that Mario. Luigi jumps higher and futher, and also runs faster, but has trouble stopping. The each have the same moves., such as the long-jump or backflip, but the different in their basic jump, running speed, and stopping ability makes completing the game harder."

The purple coins:

"Even after completing the Trial Galaxies and rescuing every Power Star from the Dome missions, Mario still only has 105 stars. Where are those last 15 Power Stars? They appear under the shadow of the purple comet, a phenomenon that colors the sky only after Mario defeats Bowser at the center of the universe.

Check the star map on the Comet Observatory to see where the purple comet was last seen. When a purple comet appears over a galaxy, travel to that Dome and look over the map to see it. Visit that galaxy and collect 100 purple coins while the comet flies."

I don't think I'll be buying this game on launch. Not because I don't want it (I do, even though I'm no Mario fan), but I fear it'll distract me too much from my school work. =/

If I don't buy it, I guess I already have something to add to my Christmas list...

Played this game today. Can't tell you anything you don't know. The game is awesome and I absolutely loved the 2player mechanics.

According to the scans of the player's guide, you have to attain 100% completion, which includes collecting purple coins. However, the reward is actually worth it for once. Mechanics for Luigi are different (higher jump, faster run, slower stop), and supposedly make the game a bit more challenging.

Quote from Limited Edition SMG Guide: "That's right. If you beat Bowser again after collecting all 120 stars, you get to play the game as Luigi. And let me tell you, the game is a little tougher as Luigi because the bro with the green duds jumps and runs differently that Mario. Luigi jumps higher and futher, and also runs faster, but has trouble stopping. The each have the same moves., such as the long-jump or backflip, but the different in their basic jump, running speed, and stopping ability makes completing the game harder."

The purple coins:

"Even after completing the Trial Galaxies and rescuing every Power Star from the Dome missions, Mario still only has 105 stars. Where are those last 15 Power Stars? They appear under the shadow of the purple comet, a phenomenon that colors the sky only after Mario defeats Bowser at the center of the universe.

Check the star map on the Comet Observatory to see where the purple comet was last seen. When a purple comet appears over a galaxy, travel to that Dome and look over the map to see it. Visit that galaxy and collect 100 purple coins while the comet flies."

Finally!!! :D For certain now i'm going to be playing this game for more than 20 hours...

I'll be leaving this thread in a couple of days, i don't wanna spoil anything!

Too bad, I always liked collecting coins. That spoiler news is truly fantastic though - finally, after so many years :D

I took me 6 months to get the 120 stars in Super Mario 64. I miss those times.

Aaah to be young....

The purple coins:

A link to the guide scans:

http://kotaku.com/gaming/spoiler/hidden-playable-character-in-mario-galaxy-revealed-317469.php

Just for anyone who wants total confirmation.

Too bad, I always liked collecting coins. That spoiler news is truly fantastic though - finally, after so many years :D

Is it really great...? I don't wanna read it, lol. Don't want to spoil anything! Oh well, not long till we get our hands on the game anyway.

I didn't mind the coin collecting either. On some levels on SM64 it was a real challenge.

Super Mario 64 made the coin collecting perfectly. Super Mario Sunshine on the other hand was just annoying, IMHO.

I turned on SMSunshine last night, after about 2 years of not playing it, just to remember the graphics, since SMG comes out in 2 weeks, and it sort of reminded me what I didn't like about it. Not the graphics, cause those are great, but the sound. I really dislike SMS tunes and general sounds. Like the news sound you get in Delphino Island, Delphino Island's theme song, don't like that tune, the stupid brazilian/samba tune you hear when you get a Shine (I hate samba) and some other stuff. The whole tropical island theme got old after about 1 hour, but what pained me the most was really the sound of the game, I don't like it.

Fortunately, SMG has none of that nonsense.

42611520071027_204649_0_big.jpg

42611520071027_204650_1_big.jpg

42611520071027_204652_2_big.jpg

42611520071027_204653_4_big.jpg

42611520071027_204656_9_big.jpg

1. Gateway Galaxy
  2. Good Egg Galaxy
  3. Boo's Boneyard Galaxy
  4. Honeyhive Galaxy
  5. Loopdeloop Galaxy
  6. Flipswitch Galaxy
  7. Sweet Sweet Galaxy
  8. Bowser Jr.'s Robot Reactor
  9. Space Junk Galaxy
  10. Battlerock Galaxy
  11. Rolling Green Galaxy
  12. Hurry-Scrurry Galaxy
  13. Sling Pod Galaxy
  14. Bowser's Star Reactor
  15. Beach Bowl Galaxy
  16. Ghostly Galaxy
  17. Drip Drop Galaxy
  18. Buoy Base Galaxy
  19. Bubble Breeze Galaxy
  20. Bowser Jr's Airship Armada
  21. Gusty Garden Galaxy
  22. Freezeflame Galaxy
  23. Dusty Dune Galaxy
  24. Honeyclimb Galaxy
  25. Bigmouth Galaxy
  26. Bowser's Dark Matter Galaxy
  27. Gold Leaf Galaxy
  28. Sea Slide Galaxy
  29. Toy Time Galaxy
  30. Bonefin Galaxy
  31. Sand Spiral Galaxy
  32. Bowser Jr.'s Lava Reactor
  33. Deep Dark Galaxy
  34. Dreadnought Galaxy
  35. Melty Molten Galaxy
  36. Matter Splatter Galaxy
  37. Snow Cap Galaxy
  38. Loopdeswoop Galaxy
  39. Bubble Blast Galalxy
  40. Rolling Gizmo Galaxy
  41. Bowser's Galaxy Reactor

1UP Preview: Super Mario Galaxy

10 reasons Mario Galaxy could be a perfect 10.

I'm just gonna say this.

What the hell Japan? There's barely any queues for the game apparently and retailers are reporting brisk sales, it's like the game doesn't exist over there. The sales better pick up.

I really dislike SMS tunes and general sounds. Like the news sound you get in Delphino Island, Delphino Island's theme song, don't like that tune

I really liked the Delphino Island tune. Don't really remember much about the other tunes in the game, that probably tells you something about them...

I loved Sunshine when it first came out, but now when I think about it it's not as great as I first thought. The island setting didn't have enough variety to it. Even now, after all the years since I last played it, I don't have any motivation to go back and play it again. Probably the best bit about the game was the platforming bits when your stupid waterpack, Fludd I think, was removed from you and it was all down to pure platforming skill.

I'm just gonna say this.

What the hell Japan? There's barely any queues for the game apparently and retailers are reporting brisk sales, it's like the game doesn't exist over there. The sales better pick up.

The japanese just seem to be buying up all the training and mini game things. The game will be huge in america, and hopefully pretty popular here too.

I'm sure things will pick up in Japan.

Andre-IGN-Blog Preview.

Mario Galaxy > Portal > You

"I think Portal, which was to be my "game of the year," has just been knocked down to runner-up status. Granted, I base this entirely off of a mere 30 minutes total with Mario Galaxy (which, let's be fair, is half the length of Portal), but unless Nintendo completely screws it up down the line (which would necessitate a travesty of Matrix Reloaded proportions), I don't foresee my opinion changing. But before I provide my impressions, I offer a brief story to both set the mood and provide context...also, I'm a little drunk.

The last time I had a go at Galaxy was back when I worked at Nintendo in 2006. Nintendo hosted a "mini-E3" for its employees, which had all of the Big N's big games on display, except sans the crowd, stink, and booth whores...err, babes, of the real show -- a nice perk for working there. Even then, it was clear Galaxy was the true embodiment of Nintendo's grand ambitions for the Wii. And ever since that day, I've longed for the chance to wrap my hands around it once again.

Little did I know what today would hold in store for me. It just so happened that today was Zack and Wiki day, so the guides team took our once-a-week-but-still-too-damn-often trek to the mall to pick it up before grabbing lunch. But as I was exiting the store with Z&W in hand, something on the Wii kiosk my eye -- behind the inconspicuous "Home" screen lied what appeared to be one of the worlds from Mario Galaxy! I lunged for the controller and pressed the Home button to return to the game -- nothing. I pawed at the controller like a retarded monkey hoping for something to happen onscreen! Still nothing. "Dammit all!" I exclaimed to no one in particular, "this here controller ain't synced to the console!" My frustrations were summarily ignored by the GameStop gods, who couldn't be arsed to fix what didn't involve them making a pre-sell. I fled the store in tears, and tried to comfort my soul with McDonald's. Today was not going well.

As I was riding my motorcycle home after work, it occurred to me that, contrary to their name, GameStop wasn't the only game store I could stop at. And with this revelation came the revving of my engine as I hauled ass to my local Game Crazy, which is located inside a Hollywood Video for some reason. After working my way through the barren Hollywood Video to the far corner containing Game Crazy, I sifted through the cob-web covered entrance and worked past the tumbleweeds to the empty Wii kiosk playing Mario Galaxy. How this game was currently unoccupied I will never know, but such questions fled my mind as sheer joy overtook any rational thinking.

Mario Galaxy is, in a phrase, the antithesis of Mario Sunshine. Which is to say, it's actually good -- damn good. As in "I haven't felt this sense of awe and wonderment of a game in close to a decade" good. Did I mention it's good?

Mario Galaxy gets everything just right. It offers a gigantic playground broken up into easily digestible chunks that makes exploring both painless, yet immensely rewarding. Flying from planet to planet and exploring their (often, but not always) spherical layouts makes for an incredibly unique, yet familiar experience. Hell. Mario Galaxy even offers up Portal-esque mind-fuck moments as you're whipped from one side of a planet to another, via the wonders of some insane gravity-defying moments.

Even better, Mario Galaxy is, at its core, a Mario game -- something Mario Sunshine often forgot. In fact, in many ways, Mario Galaxy is truer to the old school Mario's than even Mario 64 was. Platforming has definitely been emphasized in this version, and as well it should, given the ease in which the spherical environments can be explored, largely thanks to a camera which doesn't need to be coddled like a baby. Also, there are many throw backs to the previous Marios, such as warp pipes, ? blocks, goombas, and more, which are sure to resonate deeply with older fans.

Astonishingly for a Wii game, gameplay isn't the only thing Galaxy excels at. The game has it going on both visually and audibly as well. Excepting the lower resolution, the game can go toe-to-toe with any 360 or PS3 game -- hell, both my database homie (Mike) and myself nearly forgot we were playing on a Wii until the low-battery indicator popped up on screen (damn you double-A eating Wiimote bastard!). And the orchestrated score is among some of the finest I've yet heard; it's epic, while playing into the sense of wonderment the gameplay provides. It's almost bizarre to see the production values lavished upon this Mario game when compared to the relatively bland Twilight Princess.

The sensation I felt when playing Galaxy is one I honestly haven't felt since Mario 64. Sure, I've enjoyed many a game since, and the recent Portal was particularly excellent (really excellent, even), but few in recent years have offered the magic that can rival the memories from some of my favorite games, yet Galaxy does just that. I'm counting the days (and hours, minutes, seconds, micro-seconds, etc) until I can enjoy this baby in the comfort of my own living room.

*no tears were actually shed in the making of this blog post. But one of my roommate's cats was sacrificed. deal."

From Matt C's Blog at IGN.

Nintendo called today to let me know that there are apparently no embargoes on our coverage. We can post our review as soon as we're ready. Normally, we'd shut down the site, go home, play all night and hope to have a review ready for the weekend. But I'm not going to do that this time and I want to explain why. We've got nearly two weeks before Galaxy ships in America and I don't want to rush through the game in order to publish a very early review. This benefits nobody.

The written and video reviews will go live when we're ready -- after I've had my fill of the game and really feel confident in the final rating. We'll definitely post well before the title ships, giving you enough time to consider our critique, but don't expect it this weekend -- that's for sure.