NEurope
Ashley

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption

Hands-ON IGN

http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/814/814436p1.html

US, August 22, 2007 - Metroid Prime 3: Corruption begins as space-drifting heroine Samus Aran awakens from a cryogenic sleep to a fleet of Federation Ships. In a first for the acclaimed franchise, you take control of the character well before her feet touch the ground. Your initial mission is to guide her Hunter-Class Gunship to Docking Bay Five on the enormous battleship, S.S. Olympus. While you can engage its thrusters and tinker around with several of its in-cockpit gadgets, including a screen that tallies exactly how many kills you've amassed and even how many times you've shot your weapon, you don't ever really control Aran's ship so much as you select positions on a galactic map for it to fly toward. (Later, you'll be able to call the ship to Aran's side -- it can rain down extra firepower when necessary or, bare minimum, function as a portable save system, literally flying a save portal your way.) Before you've got a moment to ponder the fact that the game's epic storyline is delivered by way of genuine and very well acted voice work -- all the humanoid characters save for Samus have speaking parts -- the Space Pirates are attacking and soon after you're off on a quest to save the galaxy.

Right off the bat, you're going to notice several major differences between Metroid Prime 3: Corruption and its predecessors. The most immediately obvious are the graphical enhancements. Not only does Corruption run in both 480p and 16:9 widescreen (another first for the series), but it dishes out larger, more detailed environments, crisper textures, dramatically improved particle effects, depth of field blur, screen shakes, and what is easily the best utilization of bloom lighting in any Wii game to date. It may seem like a trivial inclusion to some -- games like Ico, for example, have developed visual styles that revolve around bloom lighting -- but developer Retro Studios has taken it to the next level. Environments, objects and particle effects alike are illuminated with a neon-like hue that fits exceptionally well within the game's science-fiction setting. Other visual additions are more pronounced. When bringing up Aran's scan-visor (activated by pressing the minus button on the Wii remote), you will now see the bounty hunter's face clearly reflected -- not just for a split second, as in previous titles, but permanently. That face may even show signs of change as you advance through the game.

Corruption is further differentiated from Echoes in that its environments are incredibly varied. You won't be exploring drab purple Dark Worlds in this adventure, which spans across multiple planets, each with a highly stylized appearance. Like the original Prime, you'll travel from space station to earthly locales that marry the high-tech with the biological. Retro has designed environments that we didn't think were possible on Wii -- walls with jutting pipes, holographic displays, sparking particles, and all of them multilayered so that you will be able to see pistons chugging back and forth beneath glass walkways. The effect is very impressive indeed. Just as impressive, though, is that Corruption runs at an uninterrupted, silky smooth 60 frames per second 99.9% of the time. Through the first third of the game, we only noticed one point where the fluidity dipped -- very momentarily -- below 60 frames. Since Prime 3's new control scheme enables a more intense shooting experience than previously possible, that speed goes a long way.

We were prepared to be disappointed by Prime 3's visual presentation because many of the early screenshots and videos designed to represent the title frankly did a poor job of it. However, the truth is that Corruption is the best looking Prime game to date and very easily Wii's flagship visual stunner. That honor may be handed over to Super Mario Galaxy upon its release, but for now Samus has earned it. For those who care, we'd like to point out now that Corruption does not run in full 854x480 resolution, but rather something closer to 825x470 -- it's still pro-scan widescreen, but it won't fill your entire screen. (The screens we posted with this story show the black borders, as the game may appear on some televisions.)

What of gameplay, though? How has that changed? Well, for once, Samus does not take some level of highly inconvenient first-stage battle damage that somehow results in the loss of her extra special abilities. She starts with her trademark Varia Suit, which is equipped with morphball, bombs, double-jump and standard power beam. Within 10 minutes, she gains missiles, and only keeps upgrading from there. We're not going to spoil the upgrade system, but as any hardcore followers have very probably already spotted in numerous screenshots, Aran gains a new Phazon Enhancement Device, or PED Suit, that dramatically changes her appearance and works hand-in-and with Corruption's central theme. Samus is able to use this special new suit to go into hyper mode (by holding plus button), at which point time appears to slow down and she can unleash a powerful onslaught of gunfire, but it comes at a cost. If she stays in hyper mode for too long, she runs the risk of becoming corrupted and quite possibly dying. There's an integral balance required when going into hyper mode and it only increases as the bounty hunter progresses and enemies become more difficult.

Corruption plays better than any of its predecessors due in large to the new Wii control scheme. Unlike The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, a game whose control scheme worked very well, but also felt like it originated from a GCN design, Prime 3 feels like it was designed from the beginning for the Wii remote and nunchuk. Some gamers complained that in the first two Prime games you could not move while free aiming. If you remember, you had to hold the right shoulder button on the GCN controller to look around. Not so in Corruption. Now, you move with the nunchuk's analog stick and can freely aim in any direction simply by pointing the Wii remote. There are three sensitivity settings designed for beginners, intermediate and advanced players, with the major difference being the invisible bounding box that defines when Samus turns becomes smaller (and hence she turns quicker) the more advanced you go.

If you ever follow any advice we give you, let it be this: don't even bother to try out any of the control modes beyond 'advanced.' It yields the fastest and most responsive first-person controls in any Wii game to date -- possibly in any home console game ever -- and it alone makes the experience so thoroughly enjoyable that you won't want to put the Wii remote and nunchuk down. Retro seems to have realized this truth and designed some characters around it. For instance, early on you will fight a series of flying antipersonnel drones called Aeromine; these nuisance bots huddle together in shielded groups, leaving only one unit exposed at a time. You will have to manually target and shoot down each drone in succession in order to advance.

We're not Wii newbies by any stretch of the imagination. We've played and completed games like Call of Duty and Medal of Honor for Wii, both of which featured fairly speedy FPS controls adapted to Nintendo's remote and nunchuk. Metroid has them beat (and we won't even mention Red Steel). Targeting feels tighter and looking left/right and up/down quicker, and as a result you can effortlessly zip through locations while blasting away at enemies and objects. Critics have complained that first-person games on Wii have yet to prove their control superiority to those on other consoles, but we really do think that Prime 3 will open some eyes. That noted, even with advanced controls, Samus does not turn around as quickly as we'd have liked. It still takes the bounty hunter about two and a half seconds to perform a full 180-degree turn -- certainly fast enough for this adventure-heavy experience, but it's still not going to show mouse and keyboard users how it's done. Diehard Prime fans may be happy to know that Samus is able to retain the auto lock-on feature of old games, but those who want a little more manual control can additionally enable a free-look while auto-locked, effectively letting the bounty hunter remain locked onto enemies, but still manually target their specific body parts. The IGN Nintendo team initially had a split of opinion about which method was better. At first, only one of the editors was for the auto lock-on with manual aim method, but eventually everybody came around because of the added precision gained.

Retro has also utilized the Wii remote and nunchuk for context-sensitive actions that create very immersive play scenarios. Samus oftentimes interacts with environmental pulleys and levers, all pushed, pulled and twisted with the Wii remote. You'll actually make the appropriate gestures with the peripheral to perform these functions. For instance, you might have to pull backward on the Wii remote to pull a lever down, then twist left with the controller to twist the on-screen device, and finally push forward to lock it back in place. In our experience, these maneuvers work very well and do not feel at all gimmicky. You will also use the hunter's Grapple Lasso to latch onto objects and enemies To do so, you simply lock-on with the Z button and then make a quick throwing gesture with the nunchuk; once latched, you snap backward with the attachment to rip off wall panels, or even pull the tails off some flying enemies, quickly disposing of them. Again, these maneuvers work quite brilliantly. The only gesture that has given us some trouble -- albeit only occasionally -- is the one associated with morphball jumping. You can jump in morphball form by laying bombs the traditional way, but you can also hop upward while in ball form by flicking up with the Wii remote. It usually works and feels very responsive (indeed, you can roll and jump over objects very easily most of the time), but every so often it doesn't recognize the gestures. If you make distinct, exaggerated motions, you probably won't have any issues, but those with more subtle hand movements may encounter the drawback.

During the first third of the game -- the portion we're able to write about (and for the record, we completed Corruption in full earlier today after 20 spectacular hours of play) -- Samus explores the battleship Olympus, the futuristic planet Norion and the undeveloped Bryyon, with its fire pits and Chozo temples. Eventually, you'll journey to the Seed, where you'll do battle with a massive and thrilling boss (Prime 3 boasts some of the best boss battles in any videogame, period). All the locations are stunning in their own right and all are full of challenges that revolve around both blasting apart enemies and solving environmental puzzles. Samus will need to contract into morphball form nearly as often as she'll need to use her weapons, so if you're under the impression that the new Wii remote controls equate to a dumbed down or shooter-intensified experience, don't be. We're not going to reveal any further details about the content of the main game, except to say that its tale will ally Samus with and against some recognizable hunters and introduce her to the Aurora Units, gigantic semi-organic super-computers that power entire galactic networks. Might one of these brainy creatures amount to the mother of all enemies? You're going to have to play to find out.

Metroid Prime 3 features a very welcomed rewards system that some have compared to achievements on Xbox Live. As you progress through the game, you earn Samus medals for accomplishing various goals, from 500 kills to beating certain enemies and scanning items. There are differently colored medals for your various successes, and you can use combos of these achievements to buy special unlockable extras -- concept art, music, storyboards, stickers and bobbleheads, and even a screenshot tool that enables you to (by pressing up on the D-Pad) snap in-game photos and send them to friends over WiiConnect24. The game also uses WiiConnect24 to let you trade friend vouchers with players you've already added to your Wii system address book. Friend vouchers can be converted into friend credits, which are also utilized -- in combination with the other medals -- to unlock the extras. Indeed, the best extras can only be purchased if you trade friend vouchers with your buddies. For the purposes of our hands-on update (and eventually our review), we traded vouchers with our friends at GameSpy, and then we converted those vouchers into friend credits to buy, for example, the screenshot tool.

We're going to have the full review of Metroid Prime 3: Corruption shortly before the game ships, but we don't think you'll be surprised to learn that it's an amazing experience both mechanically and visually. If this is truly the end of Retro's magnificent trilogy, Samus Aran will have gone out on a very high note indeed.

We've posted 60 new 480p / 16:9 screenshots in our media section below.

TONS Of Screenshots from IGN

http://uk.media.wii.ign.com/media/748/748547/imgs_1.html

metroid-prime-3-corruption-20070822001337227.jpg

metroid-prime-3-corruption-20070822001340055.jpg

metroid-prime-3-corruption-20070822001340773.jpg

metroid-prime-3-corruption-20070822001342976.jpg

metroid-prime-3-corruption-20070822001343820.jpg

metroid-prime-3-corruption-20070822001349492.jpg

metroid-prime-3-corruption-20070822001355148.jpg

metroid-prime-3-corruption-20070822001356663.jpg

metroid-prime-3-corruption-20070822001359757.jpg

metroid-prime-3-corruption-20070822001400444.jpg

metroid-prime-3-corruption-20070822001406116.jpg

metroid-prime-3-corruption-20070822001406850.jpg

22nd August 2007, The final installment to the stellar Metroid Prime series is close on the horizon! Step into the shoes of the legendary bounty hunter, Samus Aran, this time with the most tactile and innovative controls the series has seen to date. Join the battle as Samus’ final epic adventure. Metroid Prime 3: Corruption hits shelves across Europe on 26th October 2007.

Never before has a Metroid game allowed you to feel more in the heat of the action! When players take control of Samus in Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, they will experience a whole new style of gameplay through the Wii’s unique controls. Using the Wii Remote and Nunchuk attachment, players are able to intuitively aim their weapon by pointing the Wii Remote at the screen, whilst moving Samus around her various destinations with the analogue stick on the Nunchuk.

With the Wii Remote, players will find they can shoot, jump and activate Samus’ visor select system with comfort. Players can even use the Visor to control Samus’ ship by remote control, helping them overcome obstacles. What’s more, players can upgrade and even take the helm and fly the ship for the first time. The Nunchuk‘s motion sensor also plays an important role as it activates the useful Grapple ability, which can be used to pull shields out of enemy hands, open hatches and move large objects and much more! You can also swing across huge gaps by using the Grapple beam.

Set six months on from the events of Metroid Prime 2: Echoes on planet Aether, which saw the confrontation between Dark Samus, the Galactic Federation’s computer network has been hit by something which resembles a crippling virus, and only quick action will save the entire network from going down. Believing Space Pirates are behind the attack, The Galactic Federation calls upon Samus and a band of bounty hunters to jump into action. However, they soon discover the enemy at hand is greater than just the Space Pirates. The presumed-dead Dark Samus has returned with a sinister plan to corrupt the universe with the deadly Phazon! In their first face-off Dark Samus blasts the player and their allies with a blast of corrupted energy. What sort of effect will the Phazon have on them?

As Samus travels from planet to planet, exploring different worlds to thwart this evil plan, players must seek upgrades for her and her ship, to help defeat Dark Samus and restore peace to the universe. A brand new upgrade named Phazon Enhancement Device outfitted by Galactic Federation is available for the first time in Metorid Prime 3: Corruption giving Samus extra strength to fight enemies in Hypermode. However super strength comes at a price – if players remain in Hypermode too long they will become corrupted by the Phazon and if they don’t vent their corruption in time it could mean death.

In Metroid Prime 3 Corruption, players are able to adjust the sensitivity levels of the Wii Remote’s aim, allowing the amount of assist provided to vary. There is also another setting which enables even the most advanced player to enjoy Lock-on-Free Aiming, where they will have complete aim control of their weapon when the enemy is within their sights! The game features different control settings allowing players of all different skill levels to vary the assistance they receive.

As an additional bonus, players will be rewarded throughout the game with Special Achievement Points, which can be used to unlock additional content. So, with plenty of hidden areas and secrets to uncover, Metroid Prime 3: Corruption will not disappoint as it launches only on Wii across Europe on 26th October 2007 for an estimated retail price of approximately £35.

Let me repeat a section

upgrade and even take the helm and fly the ship for the first time.

Now I need to get a new pair of pants.

Why the delay?

One word.

Halo.

Well... that and translation.

Its shame because Metroid Prime games piss all over Halos single player but the dumbass public are too think to realise.

Its shame because Metroid Prime games piss all over Halos single player but the dumbass public are too think to realise.

Halo has the casual gamer appeal that Metroid Prime (so far) lacks.

Halo 1 single player was better than Metroid Prime 2's.

Metroid Prime 1's single player was better than Halo 2's.

Imo, anyway.

Woo! it's released 4 days after my Birthday!!! :grin:

I guess i know any money that i get for my birthday will be spent on. :D

Woo! it's released 4 days after my Birthday!!! :grin:

I guess i know any money that i get for my birthday will be spent on. :D

4 days eh? well its released on my birthday therefore this will probs be my best birthday ever.

4 days eh? well its released on my birthday therefore this will probs be my best birthday ever.

That's much better!!! :grin:

I'd love to be playing that on my birthday but then i would be playing it all day and have no time for chinese food. :D

I just found out i'm going away on the 29th so i only play it for a day then i'm off on holiday for a few days!

Oh well it will be sitting there waiting for me when i get back. :)

I'd love to be playing that on my birthday but then i would be playing it all day and have no time for chinese food. :D

I just found out i'm going away on the 29th so i only play it for a day then i'm off on holiday for a few days!

Actually i just realised the thread now says 28th October I thought it was 26th considering games aren't normally released on Sunday's?

Actually i just realised the thread now says 28th October I thought it was 26th considering games aren't normally released on Sunday's?

Oh well. :)

You can have two great days within a day of each other now!,your Birthday on the 26th and Playing Metroid on the 28th. Enjoy October. :grin:

Oh well. :)

You can have two great days within a day of each other now!,your Birthday on the 26th and Playing Metroid on the 28th. Enjoy October. :grin:

But were did 28th come from? It says 26th here I demand answers bitches.

But were did 28th come from? It says 26th here I demand answers bitches.

That's a good question, i'm not sure what the date is i just went with the date that was in the title ofthe thread. :)

hmm the site does clearly say the 26th....

Too true! Metroid Prime was the best game of the last generation. MP3 is what the Wii was made for.

After the IGN preview I just can't wait, now come lets see higher scores for this than Bioshock :P

[ducks for cover lol]

OMG, don't know if everything has been posted before, but this sounds incredibly promising:

- Huge amount of voice acting.

- Friendly NPC's plays a big part in the game.

- Less backtracking and more action oriented compared to the previous games.

- Cutscenes, more story oriented.

- No losing and recovering of abilities and weapons. Starts with Varia Suit, morphball, bombs, double-jump and standard power beam.

- Controls are significantly improved. Feels like it was designed from the beginning for the Wii remote and nunchuk.

- "Advanced" control method is prefered. Possibly fastest and most responsive first-person controls in any home console game ever.

- Looks a lot like its predecessors, but more detailed and crisper textures.

- IGN completed the game in 20 hours.

- Reward system similar to achievements on Xbox Live.

There are places where you can get games before the release :blank:

I'll show you nearer the time so that means you can have a good few days of play time before your holiday ;)

There are places where you can get games before the release :blank:

I'll show you nearer the time so that means you can have a good few days of play time before your holiday ;)

That would be great, thanks. :D

But it is coming out on the 26th now so i can get at least 2 days in!

It would be good if i could get it on the day of my Birthday :)

i hate that i'll have to be doing essays when it finaly arrives, i'll just get as much done before hand as possible.

The public are stupid yes.

Need fror speed wins number 1 christmas every year.

people buy fifa every year.

yearly updates work because our public are just stupid.

But this game looks more appealing to them.

Anyone seen the 1Up preview? the guy's a total and utter ass:

...Nintendo is reportedly proud to be releasing it up against another spacey shooter hitting around the same time: Microsoft's Halo 3.

But is that really a fair match-up? Although the previous Metroid Prime titles may have looked like Halo-esque first-person shooters...

Honestly, the presentation and scripting seem amateurish compared to what's going on in megabudget productions such as Halo 3 and Heavenly Sword.

A few new blur effects and a rock-solid frame rate give it a negligible "next gen" sheen and crispness, but one look at the hyperdetailed, evocative visuals in BioShock will make the most ardent Wii-faithful envious.

Source: http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3162168

I find it funny, Comparing Metroid with Halo, that and how he didn't touch Halo 3 single player yet and goes boasting about it, and the Bioshock reference is just the same, "what?" is the fucker selling me a game I don't want boasting I should be obvious?

This is blog material, this guy's an asshole.

Darned X360 Fandorks.

Nintendo is reportedly proud to be releasing it up against another spacey shooter hitting around the same time: Microsoft's Halo 3.

But is that really a fair match-up? Although the previous Metroid Prime titles may have looked like Halo-esque first-person shooters...Honestly, the presentation and scripting seem amateurish compared to what's going on in megabudget productions such as Halo 3 and Heavenly Sword.

A few new blur effects and a rock-solid frame rate give it a negligible "next gen" sheen and crispness, but one look at the hyperdetailed, evocative visuals in BioShock will make the most ardent Wii-faithful envious.

I cannot believe he just said that