NEurope
Ashley

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption

I don't get why you would watch the 100% ending. As for me I know almost nothing about the story/weapons/bosses which will make it even more fun to play. I was spoiled a lot with Prime 2, knowing about the last suit because it was leaked before the release and stuff like that, I don't want that to happen with Corruption.

I know nothing about this game. And it'll stay that way until I purchase it.

I couldn't agree more!

The 100% ending in the previous games were usually a hint at the next one.

Item collection isn't that big of an issue in this game though because if you are quite a bit thoughtful and return to a certain room later in the game you'll get the location of almost any of the items on the map. I got the 100% with ease.

Still haven't beaten the game though. Tried the last boss four times last weekend, then Uni and now I'll try again this weekend.

And to add a bit of fuel to the fire. I read that the US Version of MP3C already has had German screentext (so it's already localized), possibly more languages as well, only it doesn't support 50 Hz mode.

The 100% ending in the previous games were usually a hint at the next one.

Well, this could always "hint" towards Metroid II.

You know I never thought about the 100% ending for this. Wonder what it'll be like.

It's great knowing nothing about this.

You know I never thought about the 100% ending for this. Wonder what it'll be like.

It's great knowing nothing about this.

Considering that there will be no more Metroid Primes, maybe something to do with the stolen Aurora Unit which i suppose is going to become the Metroid 3's Motherbrain. Either that or a reference to Metroid 2.

Considering that there will be no more Metroid Primes, maybe something to do with the stolen Aurora Unit which i suppose is going to become the Metroid 3's Motherbrain. Either that or a reference to Metroid 2.

It will be intersting how all of it ties up.

I wonder if there will be any sequels to Metroid Fusion? in the metroid storyline the latest is still Fusion.

There is going to be another hoe console Metroid game, and bets are that Retro will develop it. So there may be a hint in there.

Didn't they say they were gonna do other games that Nintendo couldn't do or something?

Be a while before we hear about another Metroid.

With all the scanning and text its no surprise that its taking about a montha and a half. Can't believe some people are so impatient, that's actually quite fast for NoE you know?

And there's bug fixes. If there's bugs to fix it can add anywhere between 2 weeks and a month due to all the bodies the game must pass through.

*mid-spoilers ahead*

Interview:

- Kensuke Tanabe (producer, SPD3),

- Risa Tabata (assistant producer, SPD3)

- Michael Kelbaugh (President and CEO Retro Studios)

- Mark Pacini (Game Director)

- Bryan Walker (Senior Producer Retro Studios).

NoE: Can you set the scene for us – what is the starting point for the story that unfolds in Metroid Prime 3: Corruption?

Risa Tabata: "Metroid Prime 3 begins with a scene where Samus wakes up after having a nightmare about the re-birth of Dark Samus. Dark Samus is one of the key themes of this title. The idea of making Dark Samus a key feature came from a member of staff at Retro during a meeting we held with them at the early stages of development. At first we were struggling to find an outstanding idea regarding what should make up the core of MP3. We wanted something new for Prime 3, because we did not want to make it just like an advanced version of Metroid Prime and Metroid Prime 2. We had ideas for new activities in the game, but did not have the idea for the core theme of the game."

"In the process of thinking about the game, a member of staff at Retro put forward an idea that "Samus could turn into Dark Samus". I thought this was a winning idea when I heard it, because Samus had always been a heroine and had never been evil. Then we started thinking about what “becoming Dark Samus” actually meant and decided it probably meant “gradually becoming evil”, or “being corrupted”. Then we asked what would bring about this corruption before coming up with this final setting that mainly focuses on the theme of “corruption”. Personally, I wanted to create a feature that makes your blood freeze in the fear that you may become Dark Samus. Does that sound like Japanese-style horror? I also wanted to provide some definitive information about the Phazon material that has appeared throughout the Prime Series."

"The story of the game occurs in the period about six months after Metroid Prime 2. Samus and her friends, who were called by the Galactic Federation, move to defend the Federation’s base from a sudden attack by Space Pirates. Dark Samus, who they thought was dead, is involved in the attack. Dark Samus implants Phazon into Samus’s body, but Samus still looks normal, and she accepts a new commission from the Galactic Federation. However, inside her body, some change is about to be brought about, slowly, but surely…”

NoE: The game is generating a lot of excitement because of its unique control system. How important have the capabilities of the Wii Remote and Nunchuk been in helping you to make the game all you wanted it to be?

Mark Pacini: "We are always looking for ways to make the player feel more immersed in the game world. Using the motion sensing technology of the Wii Remote, we were able to create controller interactions that made the player feel like they were really doing them, rather than just pushing a button. We would not have been able to do this on any other console."

RT: "The Wii Remote was always expected to be well-suited to first person games, even when Wii hardware was being developed. Originally, I was not an enthusiastic fan of first-person games, so I did not think it was a necessity for Metroid Prime to have separate controls that goverened your view point and walking simultaneously. Yet when I tried the controls I was surprised to feel how natural they were and to realise they were much easier than I expected! Of course, this is thanks to a lot of effort by the Retro staff who did a lot of work with the controls. However, I think it is more natural to say that I had a fresh realisation of how comfortable it is to play with the Wii Remote after playing other platforms’ games and previous Metroid Prime series games, because previously I had always been experiencing the process of the game controls improving gradually."

"Especially in Japan, first-person games are not very popular because people think first-person games are difficult to control and are likely to give you motion sickness! So we thought more people will enjoy playing first-person games if we can make one that is easy to control and is less likely to make players feel sick. Retro was able to make the easy-to-use control system, so we Japanese staff rather paid attention to how we can prevent people from feeling sick and even inexperienced players can play comfortably. For this reason, we incorporated three types of control sensitivity; Basic, Standard and Advanced."

"We are pleased that we could create a first-person game that everybody can play comfortably - from novice players to experienced players. I think it wouldn't have been possible if it hadn’t been for the Wii Remote.

And in Metroid Prime 3, there are many occasions where you will make the same movements as Samus in order to control her actions. I heard this control system is appreciated by many players and this is thanks to Retro, who thought of the ideas and made the effort. I hope you enjoy becoming Samus."

NoE: When the Wii Remote was first revealed, its first-person shooting capabilities were demoed with Metroid Prime. Did you feel a lot of pressure in making Corruption the flagship title for first-person shooters on Wii, and what have been your experiences in creating the final control mechanism?

Michael Kelbaugh: "We first demonstrated the Wii Remote with Metroid Prime 2: Echoes at the Tokyo Game Show in 2005. We really never thought of it from the perspective of pressure. From the beginning, our goal was to make the control scheme fun for the player, accessible and not over complicated. We’re pleased with the results and hope Metroid fans across the world enjoy the experience."

NoE: Wii has attracted a lot of new people to gaming since it launched. Do you think Metroid Prime 3: Corruption will be accessible to a new audience who perhaps aren’t familiar with previous Metroid games?

MK: "Metroid Prime 3: Corruption is, simply put, a fun game. We feel it’s fun for people of all ages and levels of experience. One of our objectives was to stay true to the Metroid Prime fan but to also make the game accessible to all Wii owners. MP3 is a challenging experience that keeps players of all skills excited and engaged."

RT: "Because this is a Metroid Prime series game, we definitely wanted to make a game that excited the people who have loved other games in the series. But, I believe for the people who are not good at complicated manipulations of first-person games, this game is easier to play, because of the Wii Remote and the comfortable control system. Retro also proposed lowering the difficulty level because we had received opinions mainly from North American players that previous games were difficult. By providing a solution for this, I think the possibility that more casual gamers would pick up this game have increased."

"However, at the same time, we know the opinions of core gamers who have enjoyed previous Metroid games (although I am talking mainly about the Japanese market). If we make the game just easy, that means we may betray these fans. Therefore, we decided to have two difficulty modes, normal and veteran from the start. On the whole, I think we could make a game that is easier for the new users to pick it up. But, I will be really happy if Metroid Prime fans enjoy playing as well."

NoE: Metroid games have always been successful at blending various gameplay elements together - puzzle-solving alongside good old-fashioned blasting, for example. Have you focused more strongly on any one particular element in Metroid Prime 3: Corruption?

MP: "The functionality of the Wii Remote was crucial in allowing us to make MP3 a more well-rounded experience. In the past Metroid Prime games, combat was important, but took a back seat to the exploration. This was mainly due to the fact that we designed the GameCube controls around the platforming elements of Metroid, rather than just the shooting. The Wii Remote allowed us to make the combat (shooting) a more compelling aspect of Metroid Prime 3, while still maintaining a good balance with exploration."

RT: "As Mark mentions, it becomes much more comfortable to control Samus and her viewpoint and aiming at the same time because of the Wii Remote. Therefore, the proportion of shooting in the game has naturally risen. The new mode in the game - Hypermode - brings in the new corruption element, but we did not concentrate on any single element in the game to develop. It is because it is essential to incorporate every feature in a well-balanced manner to make the game."

"Of course, new elements are required, but at the same time, good old features are also absolutely necessary. It is often the case that good old things are neglected when we challenge new things. So, the Nintendo staff have kept our eyes wide open for the elements that shouldn’t be eliminated, while Retro staff are willing to challenge new things."

NoE: What kind of environments can players expect to explore in Metroid Prime 3 - both in terms of scale and what they will see on the planets they visit?

MP: "We really tried to tell the story through the backgrounds of the game, so you will see much larger and more expansive areas as compared to the previous Metroid Prime games. Because of the additional power of the Wii, we are able to have more active elements going on outside of the player’s direct path, which helps give the sense that there is a story happening around you."

"Since Metroid Prime 3 takes place on several different planets, we were able to make the locations much more diverse. One area of the game, Skytown, is a research facility floating above the swirling clouds of a gas giant. These hovering buildings are connected together by a series of large cables. This really changes up the way the player goes between areas as well as allows us to create interesting traversal gameplay."

NoE: We understand you’ve increased the use of voice-acting in the game. Do you think that replacing text with speech at certain points has enhanced the Metroid experience?

MP: "We decided to include voice acting in Metroid Prime 3 because it helped us tell a better story. We needed Samus to build some personal relationships at the beginning of the game in order to have more impact for the events that happened later. However, we tried not to use too much voice acting so that the feeling of isolation was still felt by the player. The feeling of being on your own is still an important part of any Metroid game."

RT: "Personally, I am skeptical about the assumption that voice acting has enhanced the Metroid experience. If you hear a human voice, you will feel someone’s existence nearby. And, it may contradict the Metroid Prime series’ concept where we put importance on a feeling of loneliness. Whatever we develop, we will always want to carefully think if it fits well. However, players may understand the storyline better because of voice-acting since they are hearing and not reading."

"That's not to say you don’t have to read any text! You can discover new things by using the Scan function. This gives you a feeling that you discovered something on your own. Please look for and discover many things in the game!"

NoE: The name of the game relates to the fact Samus has been corrupted by Phazon. How does that corruption manifest itself when you play the game?

MP: "Samus becomes corrupted by Phazon early in the game. As a result, she is outfitted with a new suit technology called the Phazon Enhancement Device (PED). This device allows Samus to use her Phazon corruption to enter a supercharged state called Hypermode. Hypermode allows the player to use an Energy Tank in return for a temporary boost in power. However, with this power comes risk. If the player allows Hypermode to overload, they will die. This is one of the key features in the game, and we encourage players to experiment with it. It seems like a simple system, but it is actually pretty deep and it allows you to do a lot of interesting things."

RT: "You will encounter the risk of Hypermode, which Mark has just explained, all of a sudden in the game. It is like the power inside you unexpectedly runs out of control. Hypermode gives you the sense that something inside you is out of your control and is trying to take over, and came from the idea of “becoming Dark Samus”, which I previously explained. It began from our desire for players to experience fear because that they don’t know when they might be taken over by Dark Samus. You would not experience actual fear unless you have to constantly face the situation where you could be taken over by Dark Samus. Therefore, we decided to combine the idea of Hypermode with the idea of “turning into Dark Samus”.

"Hypermode is something players will want to use, because it makes you very powerful. However, if you are continuously using Hypermode, contamination from Dark Samus will suddenly spill over and destroy you. If Samus is taken over by Dark Samus it's game over. You want to use Hypermode, but fear will cross your mind, which is just like a double-edged sword. Putting yourself at risk by entering Hypermode will make you more fearful in a situation than you would have been otherwise."

"In the game, not only Samus but also the planets where the story takes place will be contaminated by Phazon. As the contamination is being spread, you will see more evidence of Phazon’s existence, and may even encounter huge tentacles on the planets! Samus herself will be gradually contaminated from entering Hypermode. Before you know what has happened, your reflection in the mirror may be precisely that of Dark Samus."

NoE: Samus has a busy time ahead – appearing again in Super Smash Bros. Brawl next year. Can you reveal if she will be able to use Phazon in Brawl, and if there is any chance of Dark Samus making an appearance in that game?

Bryan Walker: "All of us here at Retro are very excited about playing Samus in Super Smash Bros. Brawl. We really don’t know what Sakurai-san and his team have in mind for our favorite Bounty Hunter, but there’s no doubt in our minds that he’ll have some surprises."

Kensuke Tanabe: "Unfortunately, I did not talk with Mr. Sakurai about Metroid Prime 3 at all. If Samus in Super Smash Bros. Brawl uses Hypermode, I will be surprised in various ways."

NoE: Getting back to the Metroid series, what does the future hold? Do you have any plans for where to take the series next or are you just looking forward to a well-deserved rest?

BW: "While Retro Studios won’t be working on a Metroid-related project in the near future, it’s a safe bet that Samus is a long way from retiring! Who knows what the future holds?"

KT: "Retro staff want to challenge a new project next time. I think it’s natural for them because they have been making this series about 10 years. But I am still interested in the expansion of the Metroid Prime world. I am now formulating plans for the next projects, which could take a new approach - like Metroid Prime Hunters on DS and games with a different flavour like Metroid Prime Pinball. I’m sorry that I cannot give you the details at this point in time, but please look forward to it! And, I partially have a wish for life to slow down a little, but will be busy for the time being because we need to work on the Japanese version of Metroid Prime 3, and there are lots of projects other than this series ongoing. But, I think this brings us a sense of fulfillment as well."

NoE: Thank you all very much for your time!

Source: http://www.nintendo-europe.com/NOE/en/GB/editorial/article.do?elementId=ZBg1BplJakZA9sDRGMjcAXvKubgKYrYF&_requestid=121208

edit: now in spoiler tags:

Yeah I finally killed the last boss! I must say the 100% ending isn't too spectacular so nothing you can't catch up with on youtube.

But still I think the Expansions are not that hard to find once you get a certain upgrade for the map-system. I took my time and still only got 20 hours out of it on Veteran with all items so why not give it a try?

Oh and by the way before I got the game I read on a few forums that you should play Veteran difficulty if you played previous Prime games. Follow this advice. I'm a decent player and found the bosses challenging but not too hard.

And don't forget to use hypermode in tough situations because you're invincible then.

Erm, this could be regarded as a bit of a spoiler no?

Yes it could, I put it in spoiler tags now. Although I think if you aren't new to the series and have been following this thread it'll hardly spoil anything.

didn't wanna come in this thread again...too many spoilers about....just wanted to ask how many hours in metroid prime 2? wondering if I'll have time to complete it before 3 comes out...

didn't wanna come in this thread again...too many spoilers about....just wanted to ask how many hours in metroid prime 2? wondering if I'll have time to complete it before 3 comes out...

I completed my first run in about 17-20 hours, I believe. It felt a bit longer than Prime 1.

Kensuke Tanabe: "Unfortunately, I did not talk with Mr. Sakurai about Metroid Prime 3 at all. If Samus in Super Smash Bros. Brawl uses Hypermode, I will be surprised in various ways."[/Quote]

Dark Samus' chances for Smash aren't very good when I read this. :p

It does make you wonder if there'll be any other Metroid characters playable in Brawl. Metroid isn't that popular in Japan, so it's possible that Samus is all we'll get, which would be a shame.

It does make you wonder if there'll be any other Metroid characters playable in Brawl. Metroid isn't that popular in Japan, so it's possible that Samus is all we'll get, which would be a shame.

They still love the 2D Metroid's there though...

Isn't Ridley rather popular over there?

Isn't Ridley rather popular over there?

I believe Ridley was one of the 4 most requested characters. He's number one on my wishlist for Brawl as well.

I believe Ridley was one of the 4 most requested characters. He's number one on my wishlist for Brawl as well.

Yeah same.

I hope they won't fix any of the sequence breaks that have been found. :heh:

Apparently each boss is effectively triple locked, guess this means triple locked in the skills you need to reach them...so perhaps certain weapons to open certain doors etc...

Anyway started Echoes today..only about 3 hours in, but loving it so far...gotten straight back into and so far loving it so much.Feels odd though playing an FPS with a controller so used to Red Steel and COD3 neither of which were perfect but it is still a very different control system....

Hope to get it complete before Corruption comes out so I am up to scratch on the plot...

I'm hoping to complete both games intime for Corruption which will hopefully be just over 2 weeks.

Hoping to get it early like SPM :heh: