NEurope
Ashley

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption

i'm yet to get Galaxy, waiting on it dropping to the £10-£15 mark.

Good luck on that one. Seriously, Galaxy is worth the £30 you'd spend on it.

Yes, Metroid Prime 3 is a standout title for Wii. Absolutely sublime. Can't wait to play through the first two when they're Wii-ified.

Just got this game (finally). It's absolutely terrific! The Wii finally actually makes sense! I'm struggling to get used to the controls, but i can already see their brilliance! The game looks fantastic as well, it's just a shame it's on such an underpowered machine (by that i mean i'd love to see how good it could look with more powerful hardware).

I'd be right in saying that this has been Wii's high point so far though, right? I guess i'd better not rush the game because everything else i've tried has been pretty dull (i'm yet to get Galaxy, waiting on it dropping to the £10-£15 mark).

I wouldn't bother waiting for galaxy to drop in price. Its worth every penny.

I'm struggling to get used to the controls, but i can already see their brilliance!

Crank the IR sensitivity to its highest option (I think it's 'Expert'); it's the only way to play, proverbially speaking.

Just got this game (finally). It's absolutely terrific! The Wii finally actually makes sense! I'm struggling to get used to the controls, but i can already see their brilliance! The game looks fantastic as well, it's just a shame it's on such an underpowered machine (by that i mean i'd love to see how good it could look with more powerful hardware).

I'd be right in saying that this has been Wii's high point so far though, right? I guess i'd better not rush the game because everything else i've tried has been pretty dull (i'm yet to get Galaxy, waiting on it dropping to the £10-£15 mark).

You cheap bastard! Not only have you been a detractor of the Wii without playing THE games for it, you're not willing to pay full price for Galaxy. There's a special place in hell for people like you.

Crank the IR sensitivity to its highest option (I think it's 'Expert'); it's the only way to play, proverbially speaking.

Call me a wimp if you like, but I always found the standard option best - for me, expert was just too sensitive. I'm sure I could get use to it if I put the effort in, but the middle option felt just right without having to learn it. Plus the greater dead zone means I don't have to hold the remote totally still to walk in my chosen direction.

It's walking around that i'm struggling with, i keep walking in to walls and doors and i'm generally finding myself constanly disoriented. Killing things while stood still is no problem :p I'm guessing sensitivity needs to go down rather than up?

You cheap bastard! Not only have you been a detractor of the Wii without playing THE games for it, you're not willing to pay full price for Galaxy. There's a special place in hell for people like you.

Prime 3 cost me a tenner :p

I'm skint and catching up on titles i've missed at the moment. Priority goes on price, hence why i've bought Prime, Metal Slug and Vegas 2 in the past week. A tenner each for the 2 Wii games and £7 for Vegas. As much as i'd like to play Galaxy it'll cost me the same as all three of these titles put together!

As much as i'd like to play Galaxy it'll cost me the same as all three of these titles put together!

And so it damn well should! ;) It's not sitting in the top 5 highest ranked games of all time for no reason, dude!

I haven't bought Metroid 3 yet however, due to being driven to tears by Prime 2 and Hunters.

I'm skint and catching up on titles i've missed at the moment. Priority goes on price, hence why i've bought Prime, Metal Slug and Vegas 2 in the past week. A tenner each for the 2 Wii games and £7 for Vegas. As much as i'd like to play Galaxy it'll cost me the same as all three of these titles put together!

Tellyn's right. As good a Metroid is, Super Mario Galaxy is even better and worth every penny it would cost you to get and a couple more on top.

Besides, it's rare you see main entry Mario games going that cheap. It will be sold out and discontinued before it hits the price you are looking for - assuming you want it new that is.

Yeah, I loved Prime 3 but I was completely hooked on Galaxy, its just so much simple fun and well done, I kept giggling while playing.

You are weak McPhee! I've seen Prime 3 for a tenner and still haven't bought it. :heh:

I'd be right in saying that this has been Wii's high point so far though, right?

Absolutely. Console launch, Balance Board, WiiWare titles. None of that compares to the moment McPhee bought Metroid Prime 3! :grin:

I haven't bought Metroid 3 yet however, due to being driven to tears by Prime 2 and Hunters.

Hunters I can understand because as technically impressive as it is, it's still a mess in the way that the single player was designed, but Prime 2 was excellent, not as good as the original as it was kind of spoiled by the drabness of the dark world and some cheap boss sections but it was still decent, Prime 3 easilly pwns it though. :smile:

I havent touched this game for a very long time.. think it had to do with some checkpoint that "was missing".. I kept getting killed and just got so pissed that I had to "do it all over again" that I put the game aside for good

I posted about some ebay shop selling the game for £10 in the general bargains thread. But does anyone want to be kind and send me loads of friend vouchers so I can get those green credits. But I loved prime 3. I thought the ending fell flat on its face though, felt kinda rushed.

It's walking around that i'm struggling with, i keep walking in to walls and doors and i'm generally finding myself constanly disoriented. Killing things while stood still is no problem :p I'm guessing sensitivity needs to go down rather than up?

No, trust me, sensitivity needs to go up. Crank that sucka up to Expert and just play through it. It does feel weird at first, but when you get used to it (won't fool you, it took me a few hours of gameplay), it will be second nature. Unless you kinda suck at games... :heh:

Hunters I can understand because as technically impressive as it is, it's still a mess in the way that the single player was designed, but Prime 2 was excellent, not as good as the original as it was kind of spoiled by the drabness of the dark world and some cheap boss sections but it was still decent, Prime 3 easilly pwns it though. :smile:

agreed hunters was just shit.. worst metroid ever.

my metroid preferences go like this.

super metroid>metroid prime>metroid zero mission>metroid fusion>metroid prime echoes>metroid>metroid 2>metroid prime pinball>metroid themed cup and ball>metroid prime:hunters.

prime 2 was excellent but maybe it was too hard for it's own good.. certinaly more difficult than the first.

And so it damn well should! ;) It's not sitting in the top 5 highest ranked games of all time for no reason, dude!

Well tbh TellyN im not a fan of any of the prime games (including hunters) but MP3 is easily one of the best games I've ever played. The backtracking is far less annoying and it really is absolutely stunning.

Another thing is if your playing in a well lit room you might have issues with the game because of the IR pointer. Just switch of some/all the lights and you'll be fine.

I don't really understand all the hate for Metroid Prime Hunters. It encapsulated the feel of the bigger Metroid Prime titles into a much smaller and restricted game. Graphically, it is superb and the sound is great as well. Controls are excellent and the single player mode is very good. The only real downside to it was the bosses being replicas of each other except with a new attack each time. The introduction of the other hunters was a great idea which has left room for Nintendo to expand upon should they want to explore their backstories. Granted, the game isn't as good as any of the bigger Prime titles but it's still a very good one and a lot better than the majority of crap appearing on the DS at the moment.

Likewise, Prime 2 was a fantastic game also. I really enjoyed it. I liked the two different worlds and the exploration of both of them. The dark Aether had more of a tense atmosphere, due to it being dark, and added to the feeling of anything can happen. Losing your life when outside of the light was also a nice little touch because it made you strategise and think carefully how you were going to tackle enemies and bosses. The start to the game was also great seeing the dead soldiers being brought back to life and trying to kill you. Perhaps they could have gone further with it, for example if you killed an enemy in the light world and travelled into the dark one, you'd see the body become possessed, perhaps mutated slightly, by the Ing. That would have been a nice little touch.

I don't really understand all the hate for Metroid Prime Hunters. It encapsulated the feel of the bigger Metroid Prime titles into a much smaller and restricted game. Graphically, it is superb and the sound is great as well. Controls are excellent and the single player mode is very good. The only real downside to it was the bosses being replicas of each other except with a new attack each time. The introduction of the other hunters was a great idea which has left room for Nintendo to expand upon should they want to explore their backstories. Granted, the game isn't as good as any of the bigger Prime titles but it's still a very good one and a lot better than the majority of crap appearing on the DS at the moment.

It doesn't give the feel of Metroid Prime games at all. Plus, in Metroid games, you start as a weak "soldier" and end as a juggernaut destroying everything which is not a boss in a second. In hunters, you start weak and finish weak ... with more useless weapons.

The hunters idea is a good premise but was completely unexploited. They could have not been here and I wouldn't have notice. Prime 3 have done it well: powerful hunters with a actual role.

The game was linear and poorly designed, had poor art (hunters design is the only good thing even if Weavel is no longer a space pirate).

The power-ups were boring and make no sense storyline-wise (gaining them by defeating hunters would have been logic but no, the aliens have made the exact same weapons as the hunter's native weapons prior to their arrival without knowing it... yeah...). The bosses were not only annoying, uninteresting and fugly, you also have to fight them countless times. The last boss was a joke.

Also, why the hell did they name it Metroid Prime? No phazon, no Metroid Prime or Dark Samus. There's not even basic metroid. Maybe it's just for the complete copy-pasta of the plot (and some others things to). :indeed:

If you play the demo of it that came with the DS close to when the DS came out, there are actually metroids in it. The question is really why they took it out.

I found hunters had a claustrophobic atmosphere, awful controls, and bad bosses. And after you get half the ocoliths, you have no idea where to go or what to do, and before that, the game is too linear. The hunters were really annoying. I would have rather seen them come up as bosses and not just have you face all of them in the first bit of the game.

Absolutely. Console launch, Balance Board, WiiWare titles. None of that compares to the moment McPhee bought Metroid Prime 3! :grin:

You knows it!

No, trust me, sensitivity needs to go up. Crank that sucka up to Expert and just play through it. It does feel weird at first, but when you get used to it (won't fool you, it took me a few hours of gameplay), it will be second nature. Unless you kinda suck at games... :heh:

I suck at this game. Badly. I can't seem to get a feel for the controls and i have absolutely none of the "6th sense" and understanding of surroundings i get on the PC and 360. I miss the enemies, walk in to walls, spend a lot of time staring at the floor/celing and just feel constantly disoriented. Oh the joys of what happens when you take someone who's pretty good at PC shooters and give him a Wiimote! It kinda reminds me of what it was like when i first started playing PC games, only it's a LOT more difficult (i guess it's the extra dimension of movement).

It doesn't give the feel of Metroid Prime games at all. Plus, in Metroid games, you start as a weak "soldier" and end as a juggernaut destroying everything which is not a boss in a second. In hunters, you start weak and finish weak ... with more useless weapons.

The hunters idea is a good premise but was completely unexploited. They could have not been here and I wouldn't have notice. Prime 3 have done it well: powerful hunters with a actual role.

The game was linear and poorly designed, had poor art (hunters design is the only good thing even if Weavel is no longer a space pirate).

The power-ups were boring and make no sense storyline-wise (gaining them by defeating hunters would have been logic but no, the aliens have made the exact same weapons as the hunter's native weapons prior to their arrival without knowing it... yeah...). The bosses were not only annoying, uninteresting and fugly, you also have to fight them countless times. The last boss was a joke.

Also, why the hell did they name it Metroid Prime? No phazon, no Metroid Prime or Dark Samus. There's not even basic metroid. Maybe it's just for the complete copy-pasta of the plot (and some others things to). :indeed:

If you play the demo of it that came with the DS close to when the DS came out, there are actually metroids in it. The question is really why they took it out.

I found hunters had a claustrophobic atmosphere, awful controls, and bad bosses. And after you get half the ocoliths, you have no idea where to go or what to do, and before that, the game is too linear. The hunters were really annoying. I would have rather seen them come up as bosses and not just have you face all of them in the first bit of the game.

2 points that pretty much sum up how I feelabout it.. I'm all for the multiplayer, it's one of the most complete and best experiences but this game should have been around thge 7.0 or 7.5 mark.. Ign gave it 9.5 like WTF!?

this didn't NEED to be a metroid game at all..

It feels like the metroid paint(and barely at that) and coated at the very last minute. It also feels rushed which is unusual because this game was a very very long time coming.

All the signs were there though. They wouln't tell us about the single player for months and kept showing us videos of the mutliplayer..

Also pisses me off that most people tend to judge metroid as a whole on this one game.