NEurope
Ashley

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption

hmm... i dropped it wayyyyyy back.. I think I was so annoyed by the lack of a savepoint just before some major "battle".. it took me about 15 minutes to get back to that battle when i died.. so I just dropped the game. I have no patience for that sort of thing.

This would suggest the 'battle' wasn't a boss. Every boss encounter lets you continue from the beginning of the fight if you die.

I can't remember anything I died from that wasn't a boss. Possibly the Metroid Hatcher?

Just finished the Rundus battle and got the ice missles. stupidly tried to fight him with normal weoponry.

Then later went into hypermode, and ended up getting corrupted and dying. Happened twice already. They don't give you long in hypermode before its too late. Havent worked out how that really works yet.

I can't understand why people are having problems with Rundus. Shoot at him, shoot at his ice, shoot at him, all the while dodging sidewards.

I guess I prefer this to the other two as I actaully finished this one.

You'll never get the "jaw-dropping" moments in sequals, it doesn't mean they're not better games though. Had MP3 been released first you would probably have preferred it over the others.

I disagree, I really don't think anything looks great in Corruption, and also that wasn't my only reason.

I think scans and lore in this one is poor too.

That thing is called lock-on free aim btw. Turn it off so that when you lock on you can't move your cursor manually. Makes it easier but less fun.

Really dwarf, come on. Corruption is a classic and yet you're diminishing it to nothing. You've made your point clear numerous times now, we get the point. Excuse us for actually having memorable moments, like landing on Bryyo for the first time, the events on Norion, the epic Sky City, and pretty much the entire ending sequence.

Then later went into hypermode, and ended up getting corrupted and dying. Happened twice already. They don't give you long in hypermode before its too late. Havent worked out how that really works yet.

When you enter hypermode, you get a filled tank of phazon. Each time you shoot, it empties a bit. If you empty it all before a certain time, you return to normal.

If you don't empty it all before a certain time, you will get corrupted, and now it's a bit different. The tank will begin to fill on its own, and if you let it get filled, you die. But if you shoot, it empties a bit, although it never stops filling up. So, with careful management, you can stay in Hypermode for a long time, you just have to not let the phazon tank fill up and you must not completely empty it either.

Really dwarf, come on. Corruption is a classic and yet you're diminishing it to nothing. You've made your point clear numerous times now, we get the point. Excuse us for actually having memorable moments, like landing on Bryyo for the first time, the events on Norion, the epic Sky City, and pretty much the entire ending sequence.

Ok fine but I can't help but get the feeling that people mostly like it because it's one of the only great games out on Wii.

I don't think Corruption is a classic :heh:

When you enter hypermode, you get a filled tank of phazon. Each time you shoot, it empties a bit. If you empty it all before a certain time, you return to normal.

If you don't empty it all before a certain time, you will get corrupted, and now it's a bit different. The tank will begin to fill on its own, and if you let it get filled, you die. But if you shoot, it empties a bit, although it never stops filling up. So, with careful management, you can stay in Hypermode for a long time, you just have to not let the phazon tank fill up and you must not completely empty it either.

I see, so you can actually stay in hypermode for long while. might try it when i'm not in danger of losing a lot of progress i made, eg just after save.

i'm enjoying the game now. it's just like prime 1 and 2 in many respects. love it. i wonder what it will be like when i go back to the other two now. will i still like them as much as i did i wonder.

Thing is if you stay in hyper mode and get corrupted, you'll run through the energy tanks like a thirsty elephant at an oasis. Also I found on the solid difficulty that it only takes a couple of shots from an enemy while you're corrupted til you die anyway. Found that very annoying in parts.

Cool charge beam I must say.

Thing is if you stay in hyper mode and get corrupted, you'll run through the energy tanks like a thirsty elephant at an oasis.
No you don't. You don't lose any energy except the first tank you use to enter it. Corruption is really useful, it almost feels like cheating.

And you can actually get corrupted faster by being hit with phazon by an enemy whilst in hypermode. You get corrupted instantly. :D

Just pounded Ridley!

Although, not the same feeling as killing him in MP original, this was good. I felt that everything about him was far more true to Ridley the character as well, especially the way he moved. He was far more like a dog with wings in MP but here he was his fully pterodactyl/gargoyle -ish self.

Fucking hate the bit when he flies around though, can't seem to help getting bashed by his missles.

Just pounded Ridley!

Although, not the same feeling as killing him in MP original, this was good. I felt that everything about him was far more true to Ridley the character as well, especially the way he moved. He was far more like a dog with wings in MP but here he was his fully pterodactyl/gargoyle -ish self.

Fucking hate the bit when he flies around though, can't seem to help getting bashed by his missles.

I think going into ball form helped me with this part. Can't remember.

No you don't. You don't lose any energy except the first tank you use to enter it. Corruption is really useful, it almost feels like cheating.

I meant if you keep going into corrupted form. It feels like cheating on Easy and Normal, but the bomb bit where you have to take out the ships is impossible to do without getting corrupted a few times. On hyper difficulty that is.

I think going into ball form helped me with this part. Can't remember.

oooh, i never thought of that. really cool battle i thought,

So both the director and lead art director of all 3 Prime games and a senior engineer have left Retro, that seriously blows. I get the strong suspicious they hated the idea of being stuck with Wii tech for the rest of the life cycle and wanted to move on while they still had the chance.

So both the director and lead art director of all 3 Prime games and a senior engineer have left Retro, that seriously blows. I get the strong suspicious they hated the idea of being stuck with Wii tech for the rest of the life cycle and wanted to move on while they still had the chance.

I'm thinking a thread will be created but here's the deal: this happens all the time in every company, people change studios all the time, specially when they get a good resume and are offered more money, the possibility to do something different or to create a new studio.

Retro was picked up by Nintendo and it was a pile of shit, Nintendo invested heavily and made them what they are, they gave them what they needed, got awesome staff, but they also breathed down their necks, which can make for a bad working environment. Lots of staff left in MP1, lots came in MP2, left in the end, others came in MP3, it's nothing new. Paccini for example, I think was only the director since MP2. Of course, it's bad for Retro to lose talented people, but that's how the business works, it's possible that this may have upset some people and more will leave. This also means that their next game will have a different feel, considering they'll have new directors.

Also, most rumours pointed out that they didn't quit, but were fired, although this doesn't seem very reasonable, it's most likely, because it's hard to work under Nintendo.

Yeah, I'll just copy paste this post when the thread comes up.

The idea was from the fact that the Prime series has been heavily tech focused since the beginning, pushing gorgeous environments with fantastic art design. The fact is no matter how great your creative ideas are on Wii, you are limited by the tech in what you can accomplish visually, there's no doubt about that.

I don't believe it's a coincidence that 3 senior members left all (assumingly) around the same time period with no strong personal reasons for doing so. If they were actually fired Nintendo would have to have had a good reason to do so as well, which certainly wouldn't be based on their track record. If they were given the boot it must've been due to internal disputes between Nintendo and the Retro staff, probably about their future projects.

a couple of guys don't do all the environments and design and whatever, it's the whole team, just because they leave to a 360/PS3 team, it won't magically change everything if they don't have a good team. But that's beside the point.

I'm not denying that possiblity they could have left for millions of reasons, I just hate this jump-the-gun mentality that it's everything because "Wii graphics suck".

I'm inclined to believe that they want to go their own way without Nintendo telling them what to do, which is pretty normal. It's of course, possible, that they want to work on more powerful hardware who knows.

i think they just want to start their own development team to make games for other consoles as well

I understand now then because maybe the designer I liked for Prime 1 decided to leave for Prime 3. Some people liked the latest designer as well I guess.

I'm intrigued to see what the next Metroid is going to be like. But we've had this discussion many a time so...

Retro is working on something that's not Metroid right now, Pacini said it himself and he said he was very excited about it. They also said it's not in the direction of "casual" games like WiiFit and Wii Sports, before you start asking :P

I understand now then because maybe the designer I liked for Prime 1 decided to leave for Prime 3. Some people liked the latest designer as well I guess.

I'm intrigued to see what the next Metroid is going to be like. But we've had this discussion many a time so...

Mark Pacini was definitely the lead designer on all 3, which in all likelyhood means he was probably responsible for a lot of the genius gameplay concepts for the franchise since the beginning.

Just finished the game. I loved it! But that 100% final movie left me thinking...

Well, they confirmed the Prime trilogy is over. And that credits music was beautiful.