NEurope
Ashley

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption

Just defeated:

Omega Ridley and thought he was a piss easy.

If there is one very minor criticism of the game and that is IMO the difficulty of the bosses is a bit all over the place.

A couple of the early bosses are real SoBs whereas some of the latter ones are a breeze. And I don't think it is necessarily down to just having more health and items either.

I have suspended my playthrough on Hypermode for a while as it is annoying the crap out of me. Some of these enemies (Spare Pirates in particular) are a hell of a lot tougher especially when they go into Hypermode and your own Hypermode doesn't seem to last as long and isn't as effective as previously.

I am just unable to progress past

destroying the first anti-aircraft gun.

I've just played through the first two hours and the space station intro. I can't understand the criticism of this bit that says it doesn't feel like Metroid - this bit is simply mindblowing and sets the scene perfectly for the rest of the adventure. I loved all of the interaction and the cinematics.

Having just completed Bioshock, Metroid 3 actually looks better. Not in the detail, obviously, but in the sheer creativity and variety. The cinematic feel works much better and the adventure has far more depth.

I am suitably impressed so far at how far this game takes the series. It isn't the minor step forward most reviews had me believe, it's a gigantic leap forward in terms of Metroid presentation. I'm staggered places like IGN have poo poo'd the first section, unbelievable.

PigMarcher, it usually is like that with Metroids, because of the upgrades you get. Asides from Metroid Prime in MP, that was a bitch, before I got the hang of it.

If there is one very minor criticism of the game and that is IMO the difficulty of the bosses is a bit all over the place.

Yeah, the boss in the seed on Bryyo has probably been the hardest for me, so far.

Boss battles in the Metroid Prime series are mostly about survival, not inflicting damage, because the damage you inflict is very small. They are all about avoiding damage to yourself for as long as possible, cause these battles take a minimum of 5 to 10 minutes when you master them and as long as 30 to 40 minutes the first time through (can you think of anything more hardcore than that?). So, avoiding damage for half an hour is quite the challenge! But bosses have ways of giving you power ups along the way, which makes it easier with good management.

Yeah, the boss in the seed on Bryyo has probably been the hardest for me, so far.

Just beaten him! :D Must have taken 5 tries or so...

The end got very frustating:

I didn't have enough Phazon left for hyper-mode, and had to repeatedly go through his potential healing phase to get more!

This game is too short, is should be twice as long, way shorter than prime 1 or 2

It's only shorter because of how much easier it is to manouever around and fight in combat. You don't actually have to STOP to shoot in this game, so you spend much more time on the move.

A couple of the early bosses are real SoBs whereas some of the latter ones are a breeze. And I don't think it is necessarily down to just having more health and items either.

I have suspended my playthrough on Hypermode for a while as it is annoying the crap out of me. Some of these enemies (Spare Pirates in particular) are a hell of a lot tougher especially when they go into Hypermode and your own Hypermode doesn't seem to last as long and isn't as effective as previously.

I am just unable to progress past

destroying the first anti-aircraft gun.

Hyper Mode is awesome. Are you sure you are actually hitting them? The pirates should die in only a few hits.

Need 13 more items now. Is there any expansions when you leave on the leviathan ship at the area?

Need 13 more items now. Is there any expansions when you leave on the leviathan ship at the area?

No, everything is before that. There's nothing to collect at all in the final areas.

Hyper Mode is awesome. Are you sure you are actually hitting them? The pirates should die in only a few hits.

You read he's on Hyper Mode difficulty level as well though?

No, everything is before that. There's nothing to collect at all in the final areas.

Oh yes there is. EXPERIENCE.

I got a Save related question.

When I'm done beating the last boss. Can I go back and get the rest of the things? Or should I get all of the things before take on the last boss?

When I'm done beating the last boss. Can I go back and get the rest of the things? Or should I get all of the things before take on the last boss?

As long as you don't save after beating the game you can go back and get all expansions.

As long as you don't save after beating the game you can go back and get all expansions.

Tnx. That sucks though. Gonna copy my save to a SD card and first then.

Are you sure you are actually hitting them?

I would hope so , considering the amount of time I have spent on this. ;)

Could be the pirates are using those gernades that cause your hyper mode to malfunction and turn off?

Could be the pirates are using those gernades that cause your hyper mode to malfunction and turn off?

Could well be , although I thought that only happened later in the game. Perhaps on Hypermode difficulty it happens earlier , will check when I go back to it.

Could well be , although I thought that only happened later in the game. Perhaps on Hypermode difficulty it happens earlier , will check when I go back to it.

Also possible that in hypermode difficulty each shot while in actual hypermode uses up more energy than it would in veteran difficulty

Cus of A levels and work and stuff haven't been able to sink my teeth in yet.

But played this morning and last night. Enjoying it, but still haven't come across and WOW moments. Like entering Phrendrana for the first time or fighting Thardus. Bryyo's ok but theres something about it that feels a bit un wowish:indeed: . Could be the fact the world is a bit disjointed.

BTW how many planets are there? and is there a particular time where the game really picks up. (About 16% in)

I remember them using grenades in Veteran was well at the point where you are currently.

It's actually quite easy to get all the items if

you go back to sky town once you have the spider ball and get to the observation chamber. There are quite a few bomb-slots and each of them launches a probe that adds the location of all the items on a certain planet to your map

Um... are you sure? Cause no other Metroid is like that. You can't even save after finishing the game.

Got this game very late, and I'm just on Bryyo, but I must say the game is really impressive so far. Controls take more getting used to than I thought though. I had the MP1&2 controls so hammered in me that I still do things like pressing C when I want to view the map and things like that. Also,

that Ridley battle was amazing!

I think Hypermode is a chore. Not the difficulty level, the hypermode itself (what's with Retro naming a difficulty level the same as a move in the game, anyway?)

IMHO, Hypermode is to MP3 what ammo was to MP2, unfortunately.