NEurope
Ashley

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption

(and we all know how annoying it is to die on Alpha Blogg and go all the way back to that save point...).

Man, oh man do I agree! Fortunately, I only died once against Alpha Blogg, but I couldn't believe how far (and yet so close!) from him you respawn. He's the only boss in both Prime games that doesn't have a close by save point.

As for the Boost Guardian... fuck don't remind me of that bastard! I got at least 6 confirmed deaths from that one. Hardest in the game indeed, apart from the last one.

Man, oh man do I agree! Fortunately, I only died once against Alpha Blogg, but I couldn't believe how far (and yet so close!) from him you respawn. He's the only boss in both Prime games that doesn't have a close by save point.

As for the Boost Guardian... fuck don't remind me of that bastard! I got at least 6 confirmed deaths from that one. Hardest in the game indeed, apart from the last one.

I died once against the boost guardian, but it was the Alpha Blogg that got me, I only died against him once, but damn, the amount of play I needed to go back and do to get there again!

I died once on the Boost Guardian, and on my replay I beat him on the first try, I was sweating bullets though because I was nearing death. The Spider Guardian gave me more trouble than he used to because I couldn't line myself up correctly with those last two bomb slots. I still made it in one go though.

mother brain in original metroid was a bitch in fact the entire game was hard but besides that i'm not sure.

Totally agree. If you've beaten the Boost guardian, you've beaten the hardest boss in the game already.

QFT! I found quite strange that semi-bosses were harder than big bosses. Amorbis, Chykka and Quadraxis were impressive but so disappointingly easy. Maybe it's because I ptreviously beat Metroid Prime in hard and completely owned Meta-Ridley before playing it...

You guys are pussies. The Boost Ball guardian is as hard as any other mini boss in Echoes.

You guys are pussies. The Boost Ball guardian is as hard as any other mini boss in Echoes.

You got lucky. :heh:

It's weird, I found the Alpha Blogg really easy, hardly lost any health on him!

The Boost Ball Guardian was the only one I struggled with... but enjoyed it thoroughly! Nice and challenging!

The Alpha Blogg isn't hard, he's easy to dodge but harder to actually hit (especially with a Super Missile) so you must be able to dodge him for a lot of times after shooting.

I know some people may disagree but I really think that Metroid Prime 2 at points is a stunningly beautiful game. At one point your in this corridor with those glowling blue see through plants? or phazon whatever it is. And some red lights and purple creatures and its like something out of some sci fi film or something.

Progress report ive just seen dark samus who again moving arond as those blue things is so pretty. But I am pissed off as im in this kinda water bit and theres these fish that u can only kill when they charge towards u with their mouths open. Ah well hopefully I can move out of this section soon.

http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/811/811682p1.html

Anti-Hype

Unfortunately I can't help but agree with Matt to some extent. Metroid has always been absymally marketed in my opinion, especially when in comparsion with other big name Killer Apps (Halo... anyone).

However on the other hand I think the lack of hype is sometimes a blessing for gamers who don't want their games spoiled by over circulation and years of hype and build up which in my opinion kills many excellent games (Halo, Zelda TP, Mario Sunshine etc...) when the stellar expectaions of gamers is not met.

Yet, there is still time for Nintendo to build up a substantial marketing campaign especially in Europe :p and to give Nintendo credit over the last couple years Nintendo have learned from their mistakes and have advertised DS and Wii products expertly pouring resources into advertising. The popularity of such products is a testament to how strongly Nintendo have improved their game.

They must remember that games unfortunately do not sell on the basis of quality or critical acclamation.

If they did Metroid's sales would eclipses the likes of Halo every single time.

I know some people may disagree but I really think that Metroid Prime 2 at points is a stunningly beautiful game. At one point your in this corridor with those glowling blue see through plants? or phazon whatever it is. And some red lights and purple creatures and its like something out of some sci fi film or something.

Progress report ive just seen dark samus who again moving arond as those blue things is so pretty. But I am pissed off as im in this kinda water bit and theres these fish that u can only kill when they charge towards u with their mouths open. Ah well hopefully I can move out of this section soon.

You'll be able to progress through water a lot easier after that part, luckily. :)

Completely agreed with Matt's feature. This game is SOOOOO underhyped it's rediculous! God I really wish they'd start giving websites more hands-on times, show off some new levels, and FOR F*CK sake, UPDATE THE OFFICIAL METROID WEBSITE!!! The site doesn't even have an icon for Corruption :(

I don't mind that they aren't releasing new info. But I don't know why they aren't releasing any adverts, or info. The game is already out in three weeks, and it's way too quiet.

That IGN article just annoyed me, what with its constant reminders that America is getting it in less than three weeks, and we have to wait over two months! :cry:

Completely agreed with Matt's feature. This game is SOOOOO underhyped it's rediculous! God I really wish they'd start giving websites more hands-on times, show off some new levels, and FOR F*CK sake, UPDATE THE OFFICIAL METROID WEBSITE!!! The site doesn't even have an icon for Corruption :(

maybe they dont want such a game with high production values and quality to eclipse Brain Age and Mario Party because then people will start expecting high production values and quality from them again.

I dont really believe that do I?

It may do a Goldeneye and spread due to word of mouth. But who are Nintendo going for with this game? Hardcore gamers who know and love the Metroid series and PC gamers who doubt the control schemes of consoles? (Different to casual gamers they are happily focusing on right now.)

Seems like Nintendo think this will sell regardless. And with Galaxy, Fit, Brawl etc will get all of their advertising dollars. But what are they going to advertise here over Christmas?

Seeming as we are only getting Galaxy and Metroid this year I think it may be a different story this side of the Atlantic. As opposed to the US where Brawl will probably get top billing. Just like always we will have to see what happens over here.

I didn't read the article, but it seems some people seem bothered with the lack of hype for this game. Actually, the lack of hype is a good thing.

Twilight Princess was hyped beyond belief as the greatest Zelda of all time. Even though the game was good, it didn't live up to the hype nor to the quality of the previous Zelda games.

Super Mario Sunshine was billed as the greatest platformer of this generation and the true successor to Super Mario 64 by game reviewers. The game was a nice platformer, but that was it. It fell short of expectations.

Metroid Prime showed us a piece of in-game exploration and mechanics and was kept quiet beyond that. Some people even doubted the game could be good. Nowadays, it is regarded as one of the greatest games ever. Had it been hyped, it could be remembered as a disappointment.

The reason Halo can live off hype is because the standards weren't that high to begin with. The original was overrated and I would guess it didn't take much to leave the fans happy. I even heard the Single-Player experience in Halo 2 was below-average. As long as the multiplayer full of people is there, Halo is still going to be hailed as the Xbox best-seller.

My point is, there's no reason to be bothered because of lack of hype. The less we know, the better. (I even think the SmashBros site has revealed too much information about SSBB. And it certainly is the tip of the iceberg.)

I didn't read the article, but it seems some people seem bothered with the lack of hype for this game. Actually, the lack of hype is a good thing.

No. No no no no no.

This doesn't compare to Zelda or Mario Sunshine. This game hasn't been hyped for the last 3 years as the second coming of the most highly rated game ever or the sequel to the game that defined 3D gaming forever.

This game needs hype because it's a MAJOR Nintendo release, it needs to sell because it will be an awesome game. I agree that being understated is better than being overstated but this is just a marketing issue. The game's gonna be a masterpeice, why the heck isn't Nintendo telling us about it?

People are overeacting thanks to IGN.

Nintendo only needs to advertise the game AFTER it launches. Right now the game has the hype it needs, it's not overhyped so people come out like some came from Zelda TP "guess what it's not the biggest game ever made, I'm disapointed" but has all the hype and stigma surrounding "Best FPS controls on Wii"

this isn't about hype. That's the wrong word really. Like Pedro says it has that.

It isn't marketed as much as halo because it doesn't appeal to a very wide audience. If you look at the most popular games among casuals, Gta,halo,need for speed. They're all Very easy games whereas metroid isn't.

Hype can be good or bad thing but I think corruption has the right balance and I believe NIntendo will advertise this game properly but metroid will NEVER ever appeal to the casual gamer which means it will never sell as much as games like halo.

This game needs hype because it's a MAJOR Nintendo release, it needs to sell because it will be an awesome game. I agree that being understated is better than being overstated but this is just a marketing issue. The game's gonna be a masterpeice, why the heck isn't Nintendo telling us about it?

I'm assuming Nintendo is spending their advertising money in the games that sell better (Brain Training, Nintendogs, Pokemon, Mario and so on).

About the lack of information, quite frankly, they already showed us what needed to be seen. The gameplay elements and the information about a new direction in the storyline department have already been shown.

What else is there? You want them to reveal the new items and spoil the game? Give more details about the story? That is the kind of thing that will be saved for the rest of the game.

If you're worried about the sales, don't. Any Metroid fan will buy this one and reviewers and fans alike will praise it as the best Wii game yet. That is all the advertising they need.

Then again, it may have to do with the fact that Metroid is unpopular in Japan and they don't want to bother advertising a game from a series that has established itself as successful here in the west. Who knows?

EDIT: Ya know, Pedro and Mcj already said it better.

I think what IGN wanted was Metroid to be marketed as the Halo killer, taking a little from it's spotlight with Metroid being tailored as Nintendo's response to it.

Halo and Metroid being compared was always a bad thing for Retro-Studios and Nintendo, because unlike Halo who is quite similar to every FPS out there (i'm not questioning it's quality), Metroid is unique as a first person game; being compared to Halo it's almost a insult, it's generalizing, it's ignoring what makes Metroid unique.

Thing is... the products strenghts are different, Metroid is single player, Halo is multiplayer... Metroid isn't what I'd call a game for the masses, I remember past installments for being a love or hate experience, and while lots of us in the forums loved it, I don't think it appeals to the masses who buy most FPS. (I don't know if MP3 does anything to change this, but truth to be told it doesn't need to).

Part of the article:

Where's the pre-release hype? In 2002, prior to the original Prime's release, Nintendo had convinced the world that it was GameCube's Halo killer. And for franchise fans, it was.

I don't recal people calling it a Halo killer, and fans of Metroid know the game is totally different.

Also, saying things like that ust discredits him a bit here. Its like he cares to win some fanboy battle over 360owners having halo 3.

It's just that Metroid is going up against these big FPSs and it's Nintendo's major hardcore title of the year. Now that Metroid's also more user-friendly and more FPS-like in gameplay Nintendo should really capitalise on that. Maybe it's not a Halo-killer, but it could totally be marketed as, say, a Bioshock killer. They could bring in new gamers to the series with this game and expand their fanbase, there's no reason why they shouldn't. It's not like they don't have the cash to spare to market this thing.

Look how they advertised Prime 1 for God's sake:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=MFdWH-BBBiI

Can we honestly expect this kind of thing for a title with even greater market potential? It's what Nintendo should be doing, but I don't think that's how the ad's gonna look.