NEurope
Ashley

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption

It took me ages to do that (I have the PAL version) but I finally made that jump after trying 2 hours. It made the first part of the game a lot more fun, because you could do so much more, like getting the first missile expansion without fighting the first mini-boss.

Pre-ordered this game yesterday from Videogamesplus.ca. Should be sent out to me on release (20th Aug) so hopefully will have it by this time next month.

I honestly can't wait. This signals the first in the 3 big games that are being released prior to the end of the year and just thinking about it gets me hyped for all of them. Bring it on!

It took me ages to do that (I have the PAL version) but I finally made that jump after trying 2 hours. It made the first part of the game a lot more fun, because you could do so much more, like getting the first missile expansion without fighting the first mini-boss.

It took me a while too. I also got the missile expansion before getting the misile launcher. I then tried that technique of defeating Flaaghra and dropping halfway down the shaft afterwards, using the wall-clinging enemies to bob back up to the top again to get the artifact left behind. After a few attempts of this, I gave up my sequence breaking run!

It took me a while too. I also got the missile expansion before getting the misile launcher. I then tried that technique of defeating Flaaghra and dropping halfway down the shaft afterwards, using the wall-clinging enemies to bob back up to the top again to get the artifact left behind. After a few attempts of this, I gave up my sequence breaking run!

Ah, I never tried that one, it's supposed to be one of the hardest to pull off IIRC. I did get the Plasma Beam before fighting Tardus, and that includes getting one Powerbomb expansion early, the one in Phendrana Drifts, because they decided to put rocks in front of the entrance to the Plasma Beam room in the PAL version. :heh:

I also got the Ice Beam early, before the Spider Ball. That was harder in the PAL version because the wall glitch was removed. I found this one of the harder ones to pull off because of the Wall Triple Bomb Jump Morph that I had to do to get up the Furnace Spider Ball track. It involved a lot of screaming towards the TV. :D

Ice Beam Early Part 1

Ice Beam Early Part 2

Ice Beam Early Part 3

I also got the Ice Beam early, before the Spider Ball. That was harder in the PAL version because the wall glitch was removed. I found this one of the harder ones to pull off because of the Wall Triple Bomb Jump Morph that I had to do to get up the Furnace Spider Ball track. It involved a lot of screaming towards the TV. :D

Oh yes, I had forgotten about that one. The first time I attempted it, I managed it successfully within about two minutes. After that, I have tried again for fun and have never been able to do it again. I can get high enough to just scrape the part of the track where it bends. Sometimes she'll hover there for a split second, deciding whether or not to give herself one last tiny push!

Oh yes, I had forgotten about that one. The first time I attempted it, I managed it successfully within about two minutes. After that, I have tried again for fun and have never been able to do it again. I can get high enough to just scrape the part of the track where it bends. Sometimes she'll hover there for a split second, deciding whether or not to give herself one last tiny push!

That was what happened to me all the time as well. That last millimeter was hell to overcome. :heh: One time I even made it but accidentally fell off while trying to get into the hole at the top as a ball. I was really pissed :heh.

Pre-ordered this game yesterday from Videogamesplus.ca. Should be sent out to me on release (20th Aug) so hopefully will have it by this time next month.

I honestly can't wait. This signals the first in the 3 big games that are being released prior to the end of the year and just thinking about it gets me hyped for all of them. Bring it on!

But its released in the States on that date...

Looking forward to this. The first one was absoloute gold, so this should be, too. The second one was a disappointment to say at the very least, though. They got rid of metroid Prime! The coolest Meroid boss, second to Ridley!

I thought the US release date was the 27th.

Yes it looks like it is the 27th GoNintendo Link

You have a Wii from North America, right?

Yeah it's the 27th August and i've done the same. I reckon this will be HUGE and can't wait to play it!

Still, it sames like an age since we've known about this first-party titles to actually playing them....

IGN Australia Preview

IGN's Australian brethren recently went hands-on with the E3 2007 build of Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, and they offer their own impressions, along with new details, below:

It's not like Metroid Prime 3: Corruption coverage has been thin on the ground here at IGN, but after our cosy little session with the game here in Sydney, we can't resist weighing in with our own thoughts. Simply put, this is going to be one of a handful of titles due out this year that will completely justify your purchase of a Wii. This is a game for gamers, not your granny, and as such it's hugely refreshing to go hands-on, and to see the promise of the Wii's motion control realised in an FPS.

Yes, unlike the clumsy implementations we've seen in other Wii games, Retro Studios has really nailed the feel of movement and aiming in this world, and has also provided a number of control options to choose from, just to be sure you find something to suit. It still takes a little while to get your eye in for the range of aiming movement before you start turning or looking up and down, but the balance is a good one, and the ability to enable 'lock-on free aiming', which means you can still aim within a limited area while locked on, is great. There's no doubt that a mouse is still far superior - you can't execute the kind of precise 180 degree twitch turns you can on PC, but as a console solution, this feels great, and the movement is far smoother than using dual analogue.

That's not to say it's perfect - most control requirements are easily accessible, such as shooting, locking on, jumping, switching to morph ball and grappling, but the functionality assigned to the plus, minus and '1' button (Hypermode, switching visors and accessing the menu respectively) are a little awkward to reach. Still, you're not pressing them every five seconds so it's not so bad.

We played through two distinct sections of the game (as did Matt), and both serve as a great introduction. The first, G.F.S. Olympus, sees Samus docking with an enormous command ship. Workers and technicians attend their posts and move about the ship - you can stop to talk to anyone you see, and their responses are fully voice acted, but it's unlikely you'll get much of interest out of them. You will, however, get the opportunity to try some of the extra Wiimote functionality. Have to enter a keycode? You'll need to manoeuvre Samus' index finger to hit the appropriate numbers. Want to release the seal to get into a room? Grab the handle in the wall, pull it out, twist it, then push it back in - all of which is done by pulling, twisting and pushing with the Wiimote.

The scene for an epic mission is well set on the command ship. A number of other hunters - including a shape shifter who immediately assumes Samus' form - have also arrived onboard, to receive a briefing about a virus of Space Pirate origins. The Federation's networks have been hacked, leaving them incredibly vulnerable to attack. The hunters are given the assignment to bring the systems back online by delivering a vaccine to each of the Aurora Units in the wider network, which spans a whole host of locations. As Samus leaves to make her way to her ship, however, the command vessel comes under attack. It's here that the pace really picks up as Samus comes under fire from Space Pirates. One corridor has been breached by what seems to be a fleshy docking bay; as if a giant mouth has latched onto the ship, tongue extending into the hallway. In another, a fighter jet crashes into the side of the ship as you're running along, sucking a couple of workers into space - one of whom clings desperately to the wall before being torn away - before the blast doors come down, sealing the corridor off.

The command ship itself is nicely realised, but relatively by-the-book in terms of its sci-fi design. Industrial-looking pipes run along the walls and ceilings of hallways, while the bridge of the star ship is as you would expect - staff at their terminals, controls panels edged with futuristic neon blue, a massive window opening onto a starry vista in front of them.

While designed to be an introduction to the game, nothing we came up against presented much of a threat, and one area even had Space Pirates following tight little loops - not trying to escape, just playing tedious cat and mouse with an energy pack in hand until you kill them. You jump down to the lower level, they jump up, follow and shoot… rinse and repeat until you've mastered the aiming we guess. Still, despite weak resistance and a thoroughly linear path (don't fret though - the second level seemed to have far more potential for exploration and backtracking) this is still great stuff - only moments later aliens swarm down the walls towards you, forcing Samus to escape in morph ball form, moving through a slalom-like path, blowing up vent fans and jumping up ledges.

Wrapping up the level is the obligatory boss battle. Only a couple of times larger than Samus, this heavily armoured warrior nonetheless packs a punch. As expected, he has a couple of weak points to take out, and an attack where you fires slow moving blue orbs at you that can be turned back on him. He'll attack in a number of other ways too - squirting some kind of toxic blue goo at Samus and unleashing wave attacks that you have to jump over. After taking out the weak points on its shoulders a couple of times, new points open up. Take it down and the first part of the demo is over.

Thankfully, we still have another level to talk out. Joy! There's no question we've saved the best for last, either. Skytown, Elysia (think a city in the clouds… a Cloud City if you will) is nothing short of stunning in terms of design. The other level was a great introduction to the controls and some of the story, but this is Retro flexing its creative muscles. The world is comprised of a whole series of narrow towers in the clouds, each held up by a warm orange jet underneath. Samus is able to travel between them via morph ball cannons and on-rails sequences where you latch onto a monorail with Samus' grapple and hang underneath, while it whips you along a winding path to a new section, all while you shoot doors open and take out any enemies.

This level takes place after G.F.S. Olympus, as Samus is tasked with delivering a vaccine to the city's network to bring its Aurora Units back online. Not that we paid much attention to what we were supposed to be doing. Nope, we were stopping to stare, goggle-eyed, at our surroundings every time we turned a corner or stepped outside. This level is absolutely stunning; rich in atmosphere, with an incredible level of detail, both in the overall architecture and in individual surface textures. Even as you first disembark on the landing platform, a large beaked bird head wrought of iron surveys the scene from above the door, while great patterns are carved in the floor beneath your feet. The style of design is so strong and interesting - a wonderful mix of curved lines and soft green neon inside, bronze with rusted red towers outside - that within seconds you're viewing this seemingly ancient and arcane place with a sense of reverence. Ornate patterns adorn the walls, concentric arches rise up above doorways, corridors slink around corners, while walls curve away to the roof. It's gorgeous, and ably complemented by great use of lighting - luminous glowing green portals are set into the walls, giving interiors a soft, yet rich atmosphere, while tendrils of blue neon move along fine paths. Adding further to the atmosphere, a choir rises up when you step outside.

This mission finds Samus in a different suit - the PED suit (or Phazon Enhancement Device), which doesn't just look spiffy with its icy blue and rusty red colour schemes, but it enables Samus to harness her corruption by Phazon and enter Hypermode. This is accessed by holding the plus button and puts Samus into a "temporarily supercharged state" - think quad damage, but with a cost, as using Hypermode depletes one full energy tank. During this section we had two visor modes accessible in addition to the battle mode, and switching is as simple as hitting the minus button and pointing to a section of the display that pops up. In addition to the scanning mode (in which you can follow the movement of Samus' reflected eyes as you move the reticule about), you also have access to the Command visor, which gives the world a rich emerald tinge, while your reticule becomes a tiny dark green dot. The Command visor is used to send commands to your gunship, but we weren't able to test this.

We did, however, get to use Samus' Grapple Beam a fair bit. In addition to catching a ride on the monorails and swinging across gaps, it's also used in other ways. At one point we had to destroy a number of valves around the edge of a large, dank room. Doing this brought an extra level of physicality to the game as you're literally throwing out the grapple with the Nunchuk, then yanking it back to rip the valve out of its housing.

Echoing the rest of the design, many of the enemies we came up against in this level were mechanical robots, complete with cogs and gears, while the mini-boss we faced was known as the Steamlord; another more old school robot, with exhaust pipes on each shoulder. Floating above the battle, it was able to resurrect its robotic minions as soon as you killed them, and faded in and out of sight, giving Samus small windows in which to directly attack.

We've still only seen a fraction of the full game, but Retro are definitely on track to deliver another Metroid masterpiece.

It's released on October 26th in Europe. Thanks for the preview, it was a nice read. :) I think I'm going to avoid reading anything now, because the game will be released in America, I don't want to be spoiled this time.

Ok so after the previews, this is my new xmas list:

Guitar Hero III, Metroid Prime 3, Mario Galaxy, Sonic & Mario at the Olympics, Manhunt II and Zack & Wiki....

That's my Christmas list (my wallet just cried).

I think it's fair to say that from Mid August-December, we may have the best months of gaming EVER!

I think it's fair to say that from Mid August-December, we may have the best months of gaming EVER!

He might just be right you know..

From EGM

- Exploration elements, more shooting

- Only positives from Wii controls, no negatives so far

- Samus’ ship is a mobile save point, called in at certain points during level

- ship combat hinted at

- Samus does not talk

I thought the US release date was the 27th.

Yes it looks like it is the 27th GoNintendo Link

VGP said 20th. Weird. Oh well, it's US so will run fine.

Why does everyone seem to dislike Metroid Prime 2 so much? I like both Primes equally.

Why does everyone seem to dislike Metroid Prime 2 so much? I like both Primes equally.

I'm sure everyone loves it still. There were a few problems with 2, but 2 is still an utterly fantastic game.

VGP said 20th. Weird. Oh well, it's US so will run fine.

The 1st announcement said 20th. Then Nintendo quietly announced the small delay.