NEurope
EchoDesiato

Zelda: Twilight Princess Discussion (SPOILERS: BEWARE)

Techicallt, TP was ported over to Wii. He made the GC version which is the same as Wii besides the controls, they are the same game.

No the GC version was made by this man Eiji Anuoma and the Wii version was overseen by miyamoto to make sure the controls would work. Thats all

IGN

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

Developer: Nintendo

Publisher: Nintendo

Release Date: November 2006

Genre: Adventure

What to expect: The single greatest videogame of all time? Did we oversell it a bit? Really, we may not be kidding. At the very least, Twilight Princess is sure to be the best launch game in the history of launch games, but we're willing to bet it'll go down as much more than that. The title is the result of a massive effort by the proven Zelda team at Nintendo, which has in the past created some of today's most fondly remembered titles, from Ocarina of Time to Wind Waker. Twilight Princess will not only be bigger - a horse ride from one side of Hyrule to the next is rumored to take 45 real minutes - but much more ambitious than ever before. Link turns into a wolf, crossed into a dark dimension, goes fishing, and rides his way into more dungeons than ever - and he's just getting started. Truth be told, we've glimpsed scenarios that have made our jaws drop and Nintendo itself has indicated that we haven't seen anything yet. The final product is going to be nothing short of epic and with both a Wii-exclusive 16:9 mode and new Wii-mote-enhanced controls - the ability to shoot arrows and slash the sword - the game is on track to become an instant classic when it launches with Wii.

Not sure where abouts on IGN Dante got this. You would have to ask him.

Probably some overblown rumour though. I mean, making it 45 minutes to get from one side to the other would make it even worse than the sailing in the Wind Waker wouldn't it :heh:

They wrote an article a while back showing the top games to get at the end of the year, and that's when they said it.

Yeah, i definately read somewhere that it takes 45 minutes to get to one end to the other.

Lets hope it's true! Thats MASSIVE! :bouncy:

They wrote an article a while back showing the top games to get at the end of the year, and that's when they said it.

I was sure there was an interview with Eiji Anouma where he confirmed it but, I can't find it.

Check out the link at the top of his post.

A 45-minute-by-Epona wide central game hub would be way to big though, unless it had a load of towns and quests dotted along the way to keep you busy. I mean hundreds of the things. WW can't have been more then about 10-15mins across, and that was pushing it a little. In order for that to work there would have to be a very rapid form of transport to every major location from day one - maybe Epona turns out to be freakin' Pegasus or something. Otherwise you'd spend days just on a single item quest. 45mins? Madness I say!

I dont see why everyone is moaning about a 45 minute ride. I mean if you really wanted to in Oblivion you could ride to the places, or even walk, im thinking they would be about the same amount of time. It took me a while to run from oneplace to the other, and i enjoyed it. I hope to do the same on Zelda.

Why the hell are people complaining about 45 minutes being too much !?!

C'mon! The bigger, the better! Everyone's been dreaming about a massive Hyrule land, that'll really make you travel from one plae to another.

Yeah, it maybe took about 15-20 minuttes to cross the ocean in WW (which I didn't mind at all, I thought it was cool enough and very realistic), but the thing people hated about that was that the ocean was so vast and empty... didn't have enough to do while sailing throught the wide ocean, and I can understand that, but think about a land that size!

First of all, Epona won't probably go nearly as fast as the King of Red Lions did, and second Hyrule will probably be filled with enemies and confrontations all the time. There will be hills, bridges, forests, lakes and maybe even a desert (who knows?)... the land will be so much different all the time and much more exciting to explore, instead of a vast ocean with a couple of small, not interesting islands here and there...

You won't be sailing one straight line from one place to another, but riding Epona, climbing up places, swimming, running and just exploring...

If Hyrule will be as big that it'll 45 minutes from one end to another, then people don't worry about that being to vast... I doubt it will....

45mins sounds well good, surly it's the thing of all hard-core zelda fans dreams. So ok windwakers sailing got a little dull, but I still sailed every square inche of the game, and it only got dull becuase there was a lot of travelling without much new to see, and at the time I was to bussy admiring the grahics to care about how long sailing was taking.

I agree with Knifes, 45 mins probaly isn't a stright line.

i'm the kind of guy who love's side quests and exploring.

tp hyrule will be just amazing if i can get hours of fun just exploring and finding new places but remember going across is a strait line is 45 minuits right then how long will it take to go all over and explore everything

i hope we see travelers walking around the feild instead of just enemys.

i also dont want to be surrounded buy ten boar riding freaks everytime i ride from point a to b.

Check out the link at the top of his post.

Maybe I should have looked a bit harder before posting :heh:

Complaining is soo cool, let me join: Link's suit shouldn't be green, green is the color of greed and snot, I don't play games that promote greed and that remind me of snot because it's disgusting. Am I cool now, can I join your club?

Computer & Videogames hands-on.

Never before has a moment so clearly sorted the normal, average men from the frothing fanboys; jumping around like a stupid idiot, I made my allegiance clear as I acted like a hooting American and threw my proverbial knickers in the air when we got a personal invite to Nintendo's UK headquarters to play Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess.

The version we played this week was not all that different from the E3 build, except for one crucial tweak; updated Wii controls allowing us to swing Link's sword with a flick of the controller and risk accidentally twatting colleagues when the controller-strap wasn't on.

There's no discussion that Wii Twilight Princess is the Gamecube game with an additional wand-waving control scheme, but the question is; is it worth the effort and price of a shiny new Wii? From my hour-long bash I certainly found sword-combat much more enjoyable with the Wii controller; flicking my wrist and slashing with the remote seemed like a far more natural an intuitive method of control than simply punching buttons.

The Z button locks on to foes as normal, while a shake of the Nunchuk expansion performs a devastating spin attack, which certainly felt nice. There's also new finishing moves chucked into the mix which, when executed on a downed-enemy with the A button, send Link into a lunging-stab attack which usually finishes off what's left of your aggressor. Nintendo has previously demonstrated this same move being executed by performing a downwards stabbing motion with the controller, but we're not yet certain which method will make it to the final game.

The crown of Zelda's new Wii tricks however, are the excellent ranged aiming-controls, which allow you to use the Bow and Hookshot as precisely as you like in a lightgun-esque shooting set-up. Ranged controls feel very natural and lend themselves to the Wii controller incredibly well, with a simple point-and-click set-up using an on-screen cursor to mark out your target. Literally from the very moment I lifted the pad, I was sniping enemy-archers from a mile-away and making short work of anyone foolish enough to approach my new toy. It's undeniably more accurate and more enjoyable than vanilla pad controls, and making the sound of an arrow travel from the remote speaker to the television is perhaps the most satisfying thing I've done this week (sadly).

But beyond the control scheme, we know that Twilight Princes is going to be fantastic; Nintendo has touted it as the 'best Zelda game ever', which is no modest promise when half of the series backlog is already hailed as some of the greatest games of all-time. The dungeon I played through was the same fire-based local seen at E3; starting with a small dock area full of archers, crates and a giant crane to exploit the new tricks of my special metal boots.

Perhaps it's the voice of ignorance speaking, but the camera appeared troublesome when navigating tight spots and ladders, though the inclusion of a quick motion-powered first-person view was certainly welcome. Our on-screen pal, Navi helps keep track of where you're pointing, which was useful when in other games I spent most of my time pointing the pad at the ceiling.

The properties of my fancy footwear - presumably the prize of the dungeon - were exploited further in the demo when in true Zelda style I dramatically discovered a giant, flaming dungeon boss - who we're guessing had some kind of sacred stone or crystal lodged into his face.

With the Zelda franchise now in its 15th entry, it can't be easy to come up with new boss concepts, but the bods behind Twilight Princess have come up with an excellent method of dispatch for this baddy. The flaming nasty lashes at Link with two massive chains attached to his ankles, occasionally stopping to perform the odd fire-blasting attack.

To clobber him, you've got to niftily land an arrow shot in the shiny jewel in his forehead - something we're sure will be far more troublesome without the Wii's excellent light-gun-esque aiming - and then use your new boots somehow to send him flat on his face.

It has to be said; even though the Wii is severely lacking in the horsepower department compared to its rivals, this boss battle is as dazzling and intense as anything higher-abled consoles have offered us so far.

Slowing things down a bit, an equally important part of our Zelda hands-on was the fishing demo, which gave us our first sample of the new hook, line and sinker motion controls which no-doubt have fans of previous series' fishing games very excited. Unlike previous instalments, Twilight' puts you on the open lake in a rugged fishing boat, where you can paddle around freely scouting out the best spots for catching top trout.

This in itself opens up a lot more possibilities than before; after spending so much time casting out in Ocarina of Time's tiny pond, our social lives have little hope of recovering from Twilight Princess's massive lake, which features waterfalls, shorelines and alcoves where different kinds of fish congregate and lie (or er, swim). After unsuccessfully luring flounders in the centre of the lake, my fishing partner - a rather attractive young lady - recommended I cast out by the waterfall, where loe-and-behold I managed to snatch not one, but two bites. If Wii fishing turns out anything like Ocarina of Time's, then we'd also expect fish to deviate depending on the time of day - and perhaps now with Wii's fancy internet-clock features; time of year as well.

Holding the A button and then casting out with a swing, the Wii controller's on-board speaker is really noticeable at this point, winding and clicking with the movement of your line. In fact, if I had my eyes closed - and perhaps had one or two beers in me - I could've fooled myself into thinking I was sitting inside a whet, dinky fishing boating waiting for the Hyrullian Loach to splash his way towards my line.

The whole activity feels a lot more hands-on than in previous games; tugging and waving at the Wii controller gives your lure a realistic nudge - again, giving the illusion that the Wii pad is in fact attached via-string to a hooked-worm in your telly. After a ceremonial wait a fishy bites and the struggle begins; reeling in your catch is a multi-task of motions, using the Nunchuk to wind and the controller to pull - just as if you had a big fishing rod controller nestled between your mitts.

The mix of rumble, on-board controller noises and tugging gestures gives the illusion that you are in fact tugging against some kind of opposing force (even though you're obviously not), and makes landing your catch all the more satisfying. Sure, it's only a 63cm catfish, but after that effort I'd gladly serve it up with some chips and a nice bit of parsley if it weren't but a bunch of triangles and dots on-screen.

And that about wraps up our brief hands on with Nintendo's latest adventure epic. The Japanese giant has promised the best Zelda game yet, and after years of development and delays, and promising hands-on sessions like this one, we're quietly confident that maybe - just maybe - it can deliver on that promise. Stay tuned for more Zelda as Wii's launch date of December 8 approaches

Complaining is soo cool, let me join: Link's suit shouldn't be green, green is the color of greed and snot, I don't play games that promote greed and that remind me of snot because it's disgusting. Am I cool now, can I join your club?

Can you join? Hell, you can be the treasurer!

Whats the clubs name?

"We are a bunch of cynical Nintendo fanboys who think that waving our hands expends too much energy and 45 minutes of travel is too far?"

(shortened to WAABOCNFWTTWOHETOMEA45MOTITF?"

In this club you get to drink milk.

I really cant see why people would complain about 45 minutes. I mean, it could just be a European thing! I know that to drive from one country to another takes a couple of hours...

Well it takes 10hrs to drive from one capital city to the closest over here... and a 2hr drive between cities is quite acceptable...

Yeah, remember guys, there'll also be a teleport system like the other 3D Zeldas.

I can't wait to exploreHyrule :D

I think 45 minutes across the land on a horse is way too much. I would fall asleep before I get to the other end of the map! But 45 minutes around the map would be pretty good. Let's assume the land is square shaped. So one side would be 45/4=11.25 minutes. So it would take 11.25*√2=16 minutes to travel across the land on a horse which would be great.

this game is going to be long, drawn out and boring. all the best games are 10-15 hours of quality. not snooze fests

this game is going to be long, drawn out and boring. all the best games are 10-15 hours of quality. not snooze fests

Joke account? :laughing:

I'm looking forward to riding for 45 minutes and i'm even gonna try and walk it for the hell of it.

45 minutes from one to one side, and a horse riding at about 20 km/h would mean a diameter of 15 km of Hyrule Field (2x Wind Waker ocean) and a surface area of about a 175 square kilometres... I don't believe that for one second really. That's way too big.

True or not, you don't have to ride it from one end to another in one sitting.