NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
blender

will old gamecube games run better on the wii

I was thinking that the extra power might help a few games chugg along a little smoother. Specifically clone wars had quite a few slow downs in the big battles. These may well be better on the wii. Are there any other games which suffered on the cube's speed that may well be revitalised on the wiiiiiii.

Doubtful, if its anything like the PSX > PS2 or GB games on GBA.

Nope, to ensure that the gameplay is not affected by glitches the clock rate of the processor will be limited.

As loading the game is a 'raw' process it would be logical to think that load times on the Wii may be better.. also because the disc drive will probably be faster and the amount of ram is more.

However, I hear the GameCube had no load times anyway.. so the benefit of playing on the Wii seems to be slim and none.

Of course if the GameCube game supports 60hz mode/component output which the Wii will support as standard.. then there may be a slight benefit on your television over the GameCube if you were using the standard AV out in basic mode.

I'm not sure about that though.. I only just got my 'Cube.

I'd predict that GameCube games on Wii will look and play no different than they would on a GameCube, even if you're using a component cable.

Its possible that they will take advantage of the higher clockspeed on the CPU and GPU, but they will not, unless coded to do so, take advantage of the extra VRAM or general system RAM.

If you put a Playstation game in a PS2 you can make the games loading times faster by telling it to use the 32X-speed CD drive. The other option filters textures on polygons to make them look "smoother". Although its hardly noicable on most games.

Maybe Nintendo could put something along these lines but I can't really say the loading times on the gamecube are worth speeding up...theres no games I can think of with large loading times.

And I don't think the Gamecubes graphics need to be made any smoother etc.::shrug:

When Reggie commented on the backwards compatibility and graphical updates he said he wanted it to play his classic games as they were intended.

He didn't offer any confirmation on graphical updates though.. just that it would be his preference.

I feel that especially on the Virtual Console, if microtransactions are a real feature of the Wii, optional "graphic update packs" could work incrediably well for games on the N64, and possibly the SNES.

Imagine Zelda: OOT in full Twilight Princess splendor? Or the older MegaMan games in the style of the recent Remake on the PSP?

It's probably not going to happen. The system will most likely be clocked back to GameCube speeds and settings for backwards compability.

Wow I don't hope Nintendo and other third party developers did a lousy job. Nowadays old games can cause problems when the clockspeed is too high but I really hope that in the year 2001 developers took care of that. So I guess that the backwards compatibily mode could enhance the games. I just don't know how much Nintendo wants to do for it.

Better framerate? Higher framerate? Antialiasing?

Sign in to follow this