N-Europe

Wii trademarked

DiemetriX

[ACV]

The trademark applications were filed on April 27 (the day the name was publicly announced), but have a priority date of November 11, 2005, meaning they had decided on the new name as far back as November of last year and delayed the trademark registration, lest the proverbial cat be let out of the proverbial bag.

The trademarks cover the use of the name Wii in applications ranging from printed matter like iron-on transfers or, who knows, console packaging to clothing like wrist-bands or, perhaps maybe, t-shirts. They also cover watches containing a game function, providing temporary use of non-downloadable video game programs provided via the Internet, and about a thousand other things, meaning there's a wealth of info to be misinterpreted here by the fan community.

It's final then, so all the nay sayers can errr stop saying. How come this has only come out now if it was filed on the 27th?

Glad this is the final name, by the way.

To make sure that Wii was firmly in the spotlight at E3, perhaps? All the publicity and fuss surrounding the name revelation certainly didn't do it much harm, if any...

EDIT: Err, was thinking about the long gap between the date Nintendo decided on Wii and the date they publicly announced it.

It's final then, so all the nay sayers can errr stop saying. How come this has only come out now if it was filed on the 27th?

Glad this is the final name, by the way.

I think I remember reading they just update it once a week or something, they probably have a lot of trademarks to process.

Just had a browse through and there is so much weird stuff in that document. At the beginning it is all the normal electronics stuff you would expect but then it starts veering off. But I've come to realise that most of the stuff in the list is just all the things that Nintendo can officially sell with the Wii stamp on it, it would seem.

Some that I found:

pedometer - No serious. It could make a nice piece of merchandise I guess.

loads of manual labour gear - for the internal Nintendo team? Bit of branded kit perhaps?

But strangely I saw no mention of a watch in there at all. And just for Stocka, there are a few references to glasses and sunglasses. Take it as you will.