NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Kurtle Squad

DS Lite for Summer & EU Regulations delay Wario- Interview: Laurent Fischer talks E3

Wario Ware Twisted should might reach Europe soon & DS Lite said for summer.

From Nintendo.co.uk

Put here because it's generally about Wii. :)

E3 2006 begins on May 10, when you'll discover the big plans that Nintendo has in store for the coming year.

Central to those plans will be Nintendo's new home console, recently named Wii, and also Nintendo DS will be putting in a major appearance. But what else can you expect?

We talked to Nintendo of Europe's new Marketing Director, Laurent Fischer, to get some hints about Nintendo's E3 line-up and to find out what he'll bring to his new role.

Mr Fischer recently joined Nintendo of Europe from Nintendo France, where he served as product manager for handhelds - from Game Boy Color to Game Boy Advance SP - and later became Nintendo France's Marketing Director before taking up his new position at Nintendo of Europe in February this year.

Mr Fischer, how will E3 2006 be remembered in the history of Nintendo?

"I think it’s not only related to Nintendo’s history, it’s related to the whole video game industry. For the first time we have a real crossroads in terms of development perspectives. The question of what is going to be next generation console improvement is no longer linked with having more power and better graphics. Competitors have been following this route of 'more graphics, more 3D' but this - from my point of view - is thinking about our industry's future in an old-fashioned way.

"Nintendo decided to take a step ahead exactly the same way we did for the handheld market with the DS. Wii is definitely a 'new generation' console, looking forward to change dramatically the way the player interacts with the games. I really think this is a 'second birth' for our industry; where a tremendous area of changes and improvements will occur. This allows developers to enjoy freedom and creativity again!"

About DS, do you see its success as a way to introduce players to Wii?

"Yes, developers now realise, like with DS, if you want the big successes, you have to use all the new features in our console properly. Because what consumers love about DS is to use its unique features. Whether it’s wireless LAN or the Wi-Fi connection, touch screen or voice control, all these things make a difference. And not only Nintendo, but also a lot of third parties have a very heavy line-up of DS software this year, so gamers have a lot to look forward to."

And this is what you’re hoping for with Wii as well; this encouragement to come up with new ideas?

"As soon as the developers got their hands on the Wii development kits, they understood that they cannot just port a game, they have to be radical in their thinking. So very soon we will see, from the games they’re releasing, that whatever we talk about - a racing game, a first-person shooter, an RPG or some other genre we don’t know about yet - everybody has to work in a new way."

What will E3 visitors be able to do in terms of getting hands-on with the Wii?

"Like we did with DS, playable demos will show what Wii can do. Nothing is more exciting than just playing it. We really want people to hold the controller, to see how easy it is to use, and how different it is. It proves new ideas can work. That’s the experience people will have at the E3 booth, I’m sure."

What will Nintendo do differently with the launch of Wii in comparison with the launch of GameCube?

"I think there is nothing comparable with the current generation of consoles and what we can expect from Wii; the game play experience will dramatically change. And Wii will have a very varied software line-up. Whenever we talk about Nintendo games or third-party games, the way Wii software is going to be developed means that there will be a lot of proposals of different genres; different kinds of games, and even a lot of new game concepts we just can’t imagine now."

Will there be more secrets revealed about Wii at E3? And we don’t just mean price and release date?

"At E3 people will understand the complete thinking behind the Wii, on top of the controller."

And what about Zelda: Twilight Princess? Will we find out when it's coming out?

"Only 10 people know that. [Laughs] There's more to learn at E3..."

Will we get more info on Zelda: Phantom Hourglass?

"You’ll have to wait and see. DS is going to be very important for us at this E3. You know, E3 can sometimes be a bit of a magnifying glass, and put all the focus for example only on Wii, but you’re going to see a lot of good titles for DS."

Nintendo DS Lite will be one of the big stars of E3. What was the reason for bringing out this new version of the system?"We’re always looking for ways to improve the console at hand. With DS it was a huge task to show people what new ways to play are about. We worked hard at showing this not just to gamers - which was only one aim - we also really wanted to reach non-gamers. The second aim was to make the DS as portable and as universally appealing as possible. That was the aim of DS Lite. And the sales figures from Japan show that it’s working."

So can you give us a hint when we can expect DS Lite in Europe?

"Certainly this summer."

On the subject of release dates: can you explain the delay of Wario Ware: Twisted in Europe?

"It’s really linked to a technical issue, not in the software development. It's due to European regulations which made us modify the rumble and tilt mechanism. So things need to be redeveloped and resubmitted. We hope to have some more info on this game soon after E3."

It looks like being an exciting year ahead for Nintendo of Europe. What are your personal ambitions for your new role?

"My real aim is to make as many people as possible enjoy what Nintendo’s developers are creating, helping to implement all the elements that have proven to be successful in Japan as far as developing the market is concerned, and to reach new consumers in Europe. If we can do that, I think we’ll enjoy a bright future."

And what do you play yourself? Do you know your Brain Age, for instance?

"At the moment it’s 43."

And what’s your real age, if you don't mind us asking?

"It’s 37 [laughs] so there’s still a lot to train, but I started playing on the first European versions, and now I’m playing the US version, but I will start my real training soon with the final European version - and I'll use the French one!"

Nintendo of America's spokesman Reggie Fils-Aime has become a kind of cult figure with gamers in the US. Can European Nintendo fans expect you to become a 'Reggie for Europe'?

"Reggie is really unique and he is as well very famous with European gamers. I'm used to having ongoing contact with journalists and websites (mainly French until now, but I'm looking forward to meeting the other ones!)

"And they know how I work: 'the real stars are the games, so if you want to talk then just take the controller and we'll play together.' It doesn't matter if I win or lose, at least we enjoy some time together playing. And that's going to continue to be my position."

So if people wanted to play against you at Mario Kart DS, what's your online name?

It's 'low-fi'. I was playing a lot during the beta test period but when I went online for the first time, I was playing against these guys that were just incredible; they could beat you by three or four seconds every time.

"I don't have enough time to play, to become that good, but I try to play all the games. I played Phoenix Wright to check the translation, which was very good, and I'm playing Trauma Center but at the end it's very tough. I love Zelda and I love all the Mario Karts - especially on DS. At the moment I'm enjoying Big Brain Academy multiplayer, which is pure fun!"

So you played Nintendo games before you joined Nintendo?

"I joined because I played! I couldn't join any other video game company."

Thanks, Laurent, for taking the time to talk to us.

So the DS Lite release date is in June do you reckon? ::shrug: I hope so! :bouncy:

When does Summer exactly begin and end?

Oh and Zelda:TTP better come out at least two months before the Wii does! The wait is killing me and starting to bore me at the same time! I'm trying not to lose all excitement, but i know for sure i'll be hyped when i know the release date....

I'd say summer is sort of june to the end of august ish

But with the brain training europe game box having a DS lite on it I'd say its gonna be around then, which is what? june 9th?

But with the brain training europe game box having a DS lite on it I'd say its gonna be around then, which is what? june 9th?
Yep it is, I also think it'll be released with Brain Training.

I just hope NoE are sensible with the pricing, what with it costing £70 in the US.

I will pay £99 for one ... and i also am counting on june the 9th *fingers crossed*

That's America though Red Shell; everything costs less there.
Yeah I know, it’s obviously going to cost more in Europe but its how much more that's my main concern.

I remember hearing rumours of a £109.99 price tag for the UK, and that is just completely unacceptable. There's no way they could justify a 40 quid price increase.

Well i'm hoping it's £89.99, my DS Lite has a small screen problem (it's still playable but annoying, you can see the light from underneath on the touch-screen) so my brothers having my one as he said he can't see a problem with it (typical) and likes my Enamel Navy colour and i'm allowed to have his one which he was going to buy.

I want Ice Blue, but i don't think it will be released here from day one. Other then that it will have to be white i suppose, no point buying another one in the same colour really...wheres the fun in that? :awesome:

Oh and i agree Redshell, theres no-way i'm paying £109.99 for it. The only reason i paid a stupid price for it before was to get it like 3 months early, perhaps i should of waited....that will teach me!

Thanks for that it was a good read. I read the other day that Wario was delayed due to them using mercury in the tilt sensors which is banned in the EU so what he says about it being reworked is true.

I cant wait for the DS Lite. Like it was said before im willing to part with £100 for that piece of kit, hopefully a bundle will be out.

Good. We need the DS Lite out in Europe ASAP. At the moment its no contest that the PSP is winning the handheld 'fashion' crowd. The original DS is a bit bulky and may not attract enough customers. The DS Lite can easily win over those who think that its just not 'cool' enough.

Why's everyone talking about the Lite in the Wii Discussion?

Anyway why is he talking about E3, I wouldn't have though he would be that involved with it. Once again no real info at all. Unless it's Reggie talking nothing interesting seems to get said, well maybe Perrin Kaplan aswell then.

Why's everyone talking about the Lite in the Wii Discussion?

I don't know. :D

I think the threads ok because it mentions the Wii but i'm not sure....

Thanks for that it was a good read. I read the other day that Wario was delayed due to them using mercury in the tilt sensors which is abnned in the EU so what he says about it being reworked is true.

I cant wait for the DS Lite. Like it was said before im willing to part with £100 for that piece of kit, hopefully a bundle will be out.

And then people wonder why the UK hate things about the EU...

I just hope the European version has as good a sensor as the Jap & US ver, as I still haven't picked the game up.

@Cowboy; There are 5 Wii related Qs, which is the majority compared to other topics.

Only 10 people know the date.Least their is one.

why are they being so secretive about it?!!!!!!!!

They better not use Zelda too fight with Sony's PS3 in November! It better not come out in November! I mean it Nintendo! NOT NOVEMBER! :mad::)

I wouldn't be able to take the Wii and Zelda on GC and DS (hopefully) in 2 months! MILES to much goodness! Please seperate them a little! :)

And then people wonder why the UK hate things about the EU...

They hate it because EU doesn't let you play you're game.

Sign in to follow this