N-Europe

Will Wii See a Wireless Controller for GC Games?

david.dakota

Still having a handful of games i reckon i'd still play for GC, i'm wondering if you reckon we'll see the GC controller re-released completely wireless (so we don't have to pull Wii from under the TV or leave the GC Flap open for a rumbleless Wavebird).

Could be a possibility, since it looks like controllers will be released for SNES and N64 Virtual Console titles.

Thoughts?

Guest Jordan

I bet the Wii wouldn't even need the Wavebirds contoller adapter if it runs on the same radio channels.

Would the wavebird attachment fit in the cube ports, due to the flap being in the way?

No, I think from the comparison I showed here (3/4 the way down the page) that it can be seen that the buldge underneath the receiver will not allow the unit to fit into a controller socket.

Also, since then, I have realised that the receiver has a distinct contuor on the connector side to fit the GCN, which it will not fit around the Revolution.

EDIT: I should add to that that this is of course assuming the design of the console doesn't change.

I thought the Wii controlers worked via bluetooth... which as we all know is totaly diffrent to the cube controlers.

Anyway you never know with Nintendo... they might or might not

I had never heard that the controllers would work via Bluetooth. I know the PS3's do, but I thought that Revolution/Wii's were just radio. This is quite likely, as Bluetooth is rather costly to implement.

If Nintendo hasn't made provision for WaveBird owners I'll be sad.

But there is always the shell.. which I'll gladly buy anyway.

I think the chances of the WaveBird working without using the RFID docking connectors is unlikely because the system would need dials to maintain the signals.

I think Nintendo is using their own proprietary flavour of wireless, it could be a bluetooth hybrid but Sony want the PS3 to be a media hub, and use voip and connect to everything- Nintendo doesn't really have a need to license a tech that they might not use. They could use their own in house tech that they control.

Zoramon, yes theoretically it will work but not if the WaveBird's dock doesn't fit? We'd need to buy a GameCube extension cord and have it trailing out of the Wii's flap.

I'm sure we can bodge it.. someone will think of a hack because it's too nice of an accesory to chuck away just because it doesn't fit.

I'd like to see some new wireless controllers (or maybe the shell) able to be used for Gamecube games.

Party because it'd be nice to have some new controllers to use and no wires, and partly because production of GC pads will stop, meaning if the Sticks of my Cubetrollers mess up (like my original 2 did) i'm generally stuck for getting new controllers for Cube games.

Zoramon, yes theoretically it will work but not if the WaveBird's dock doesn't fit? We'd need to buy a GameCube extension cord and have it trailing out of the Wii's flap.

I'm sure we can bodge it.. someone will think of a hack because it's too nice of an accesory to chuck away just because it doesn't fit.

Do you really think Nintendo is going to ignore the most popular Cube accessory when they design the Wii's backwards compability?

Of course the Wavebird dock will fit.

i'm sure Nintendo will have thought of this, they put too much into the Wavebird and wireless gameplay to "force" people to go back to wired GC pads.

I'd say at E3 they'll show the final design of the console and we'll see the GC controller ports will be better suited to the Wavebird receiver.

They'd be stupid not to.

I thought I'd post this thought here as it's probably not worth making an entire new thread for.

Considering that the Wii has slots for GC controllers in it, we can assume that the controller shell won't be wavebird shaped, or they would just utilize the shelled controller for GC games. Considering this, I'm wondering just how standard the shell will be.