goron49

Skies of Arcadia Legends VS Tales of Symphonia

Skies of Arcadia Legends VS Tales of Symphonia  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Skies of Arcadia Legends VS Tales of Symphonia

• Skies of Arcadia Legends
    • Tales of Symphonia
    • I don't like RPG's

You know, I have been desperate to get a new RPG for the Gamecube, I have Paper Mario 2 and that was great, but I was wondering where the hell are all the RPG's? I came across Skies of Arcadia Legends, the original SoA for the Dreamcast is ment to be really great, so SoAL is just a remake with a few added bits. I've seen the screenshots of it and it looks very "Zelda-ish"

ToS on the overhand seems very popular on forums and game review websites, but by looking at the screenshots for this it just looks.. cheap and crap. But everyone loves it.

So which one, in your opnion, is the better game?

At the moment I would say that Skies is by far the better RPG. However, I'm only about 5-6 hours in to Symphonia, so things could change. But I doubt it.

To be frank, 'playing' Tales has become a chore to me, something I force myself to do in the hope of seeing what everyone else likes about it so much. It probably doesn't help that I don't know what people like about the game, all I ever see is users throwing superlatives in its general direction. Perhaps it is just a taste thing.

Has anyone voted? I dont know what to vote and Im scared to look at the poll results incase it nulls my vote!

Its a really diff decision... I dont know if I can bare to bring myself to choose one over t'other... I might advise Skies? It has more side quests and freedom... and a bit less cheese.

Both are superb though! Read the threads for both!

Both are bloody fantastic. Both in my top 5 games ever. Get both if you can.

You said it.

Arcadia is classic Turn-based while Symphonia is full action (you controll the characters real-time) so it´s up to you what you prefer but I recommend both.

As I have already said, SOAL>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>TOS.

And TOS could well be in my top ten.

Your all Crazy! its tales of symphonia al the way! i mean i love them both but on my list of best games for the cube i would put tales at the top followed by arcadia, yet i am egarly awating the sequal to Arcadia hope its still in production! hope i havent not heard news about it being droped!

url=http://www.bleachportal.net/?id=interactive/pquiz/index]zxxcyzcxz.jpg

Take The quiz yourself![/url]

ToS on the overhand seems very popular on forums and game review websites, but by looking at the screenshots for this it just looks.. cheap and crap. But everyone loves it.

That comment is quite ignorant I don't know how you thought it was cheap and crap based on screenshots. If you've actually played it you will know it's not anything like that and your opinion is slightly more biased towards Skies that way so you don't have a very valid argument for which is better in this case.

yeah you tell him! iron! Play the game then if you dont like talk trash! but dont taint something if you havent played it! :heh:

url=http://www.bleachportal.net/?id=interactive/pquiz/index]zxxcyzcxz.jpg

Take The quiz yourself![/url]

I've only played ToS, and its a superb game, one of my top 5's of all time. I've been meaning to buy Skies of Arcadia Legends sometime soon though.

Like almost everyone else I think that Skies is superior, albeit just slightly :)

For me, the characters (Gilder!), the settings (sky pirates - does it get any cooler?) and the story (I practically bawled at the end because it finished up so well, in spite of the worlds longest final boss battle) were all perfectly intertwined. In fact, for a few days after finishing it, I did believe that it was better than FFVII, which to me is/was the epitome of RPG gaming goodness. Now Im not so sure thats the case, but its the only game thats come close to knocking that off the top of my list. The only - really, only - drawback to this game for me are the random battles which are just a bit too frequent for my liking.

Tales is definitely prettier I would say (though the locations in Skies are much nicer), and more action orientated, but the story felt far more generic to me than Skies. In fact, I saw too many links to FFX, which put me off a bit. Having said that though, the story does keep things ticking along nicely, and the characters are fun and enjoyable (if not more than a touch cliched). I did play it all through without getting bored and playing something else, which is a real feat for me these days, so I would definitely recommend it.

Follow peoples advice and get both ;)

________

Mercedes-benz m114 engine history

Edited by Johelian

I am all for turned-based RPG's. I just love the strategy involved and Skies of Arcadia had great orginal RPG battles and ship battles that kept my interest. The characters were believable and the stories, like the one about Piastol, were so moving.

I completed Skies of Arcadia but I am up to the parallel world in Tales of Symphonia. Skies gets my vote though.

Skies was great and in a league of it's own in the Dreamcast days but the incessent random battles, dull, flat characters and cheesy ending ruined it for me, the plot wasen't much either and the RPG stereotypes (Feena: enigmatic, shy girl that's good with healing magic, there's one in almost EVERY RPG in the last decade) make the game feel rather dated nowadays.

I loved every single character in the party on Tales (Maybe with the exception of Collette :p) The battle system is second to none and there's no random battles! Yayness! The rather ambitious storyline was entertaining but not great but it's the characters, locations, great voice-acting (In my opinion) and battle system what really makes Symphonia so great!

Zelos is the DUDE! :heh:

But I'm with Johelian when I say people should get both!

Have to say Skies, it may to be the best at first but as soon as you become ship wrecked on Crescent Island it really turns into a masterpiece. The whole Suikoden-esque recruting people for your crew is a great. And i cannot believe nobody has mentioned the Ship Battles. They are epicly fantasticly unique. Needs a thinker before you act.

Also it's a small thing but the whole Swashbuckler rating was a great element. Very fun to see how your title has improved as you go on in the game

Skies is far more satisfying, and the lack of voice acting isn't really an issue - it's a huge game with a fun story and great characters. It seems pretty generic and boring for the first few hours, but once you get into it and start sailing the world it's a masterpiece.

Tales is fantastic too, but the battles are slightly bashy, and I found that it was very easy unless you avoided battles like the plague. I only died once, on my first time in the water temple. The side quests far outweigh Skies' though, and the alternate outfits are worth tracking down.

Get both, but prioritise Skies. It's better, plus you're safer tracking it down while there's still an odd copy around.

That comment is quite ignorant I don't know how you thought it was cheap and crap based on screenshots. If you've actually played it you will know it's not anything like that and your opinion is slightly more biased towards Skies that way so you don't have a very valid argument for which is better in this case.

I'm basing all my opinions based on the screenshots I have seen for both games, I havn't played any of them. I think Skies of Arcadia LOOKS better than ToS, but on the overhand, ToS gets more praise.

Both are brilliant, but Skies is near gaming perfection. The characters, the world, the story.. Tales doesn't match up, despite being a very good RPG itself.

I'm basing all my opinions based on the screenshots I have seen for both games, I havn't played any of them. I think Skies of Arcadia LOOKS better than ToS, but on the overhand, ToS gets more praise.

Eh? Skies looks like a Dreamcast game, TOS looks like a living beathing cartoon... the cel shading is beautiful.

I voted for Skies.

Initially I would have said Tales all the way , but after completing Skies only recently I had to change my made. The whole story in Skies was far better IMO , and had me drawn in from the start , and not once did it bore me or become a chore to finish. It also boasts so many memorable moments.

Towards the end , Tales became more of a chore to play through and I did struggle to stick with it - it is still a great game , and I do reckon if possible you need to get them both , but my preference goes to SOA.