NEurope
Stocka

Reggie: Racing Title for Wii to be Shown at E3

Ah, I hadn't read every post in the thread, / nando /. I was just thinking of the discussion I read on the FHC being used as a steering wheel when the new title won't necessarily use an "orthodox" steering method.

Like your idea. :) Excitebike would be cool, it was a classic.

I remember that Red Dwarf episode, Nintendork. XD Rocket-propelled rat racing game anyone?

What I thought was interesting was that Reggie said "That will answer all the questions to how you'll play a racing game." To me this means that it won't be some weird horse racing game or Wave Race, but will include at least cars, perhaps even motorcycles and other things that can race. I think Nintendo's goal with the launch games is to hit each genre and show that they can all be done well with the core controller and the nunchuck. They will have a FPS (Metroid), a fighting game (Smash Bros.), this racing game, some sports games, adventure games, etc. Will there be an RPG?

Correct me if im wrong but i dont think nintendork meant that the fhc would be too inaccurate - even though that what you said - i think you meant it would be too sensitive, no???

What I thought was interesting was that Reggie said "That will answer all the questions to how you'll play a racing game." To me this means that it won't be some weird horse racing game or Wave Race, but will include at least cars, perhaps even motorcycles and other things that can race. I think Nintendo's goal with the launch games is to hit each genre and show that they can all be done well with the core controller and the nunchuck. They will have a FPS (Metroid), a fighting game (Smash Bros.), this racing game, some sports games, adventure games, etc. Will there be an RPG?

I agree with Nintendorks overall sentiment, trying to prove that every genre works with a core controller / nunchuck setup. Is futile, unneccesary defeats the point of having the shell and the potential for customisable add-ons.

Poeple really need to accept that the nunchuck setup isn't going to work for everything, or people may personally prefer a different input method. Nintendo knows this (hence the shell, the nunchuck the customisability) so why cant you see it???

Now a racing game should allow for multiple configurations, the core controller, nunchuck setup (i guess) shell setup and a steering wheel attachment setup. This is the best way to approach the situation, allow the consumer to decide their preference. The disadvantage is its more work in optomizing 4 different control schemes but if it means that you get more peopel buying the game as there is a setup that appeals more to their taste then its worth it. I just hope developers are thinking like this.

Personally i dont want to play smash bros on anything but the shell and that is entirely my opinion

Oh and i hope the racing game is donkey kong racing too. That looked like a great concept.

The steering wheel attachment will totally NOT happen, I think.

Why? Because unlike traditional steering wheels for consoles, you're holding this one up in the air the whole time. And unlike normal use of the core controller, you can't rest your arms on your knees (you can't turn this way). So it will be very tiresome.

Unless the steering wheel attachment will rest on the table, like traditional steering wheels, of course.

And the way the announcement was made, I highly doubt that they will demonstrate the game with the shell attachment. But that doesn't rule out that you will be able to use the shell as a possible configuration.

And holding the core controller sideways suffers from the same problems as using that steering wheel attachment.

So, what will they show us? I don't bloody know. But I do believe that the people at nintendo are smart enough to come up with a way to use it giving the gamer the same precision and ease of use as traditional analog controllers. It won't be as realistic as using a steering wheel, but that never stopped gamers using an analog controller.

I agree with Nintendorks overall sentiment, trying to prove that every genre works with a core controller / nunchuck setup. Is futile, unneccesary defeats the point of having the shell and the potential for customisable add-ons.
That's true, not every genre necessarily works with the core FHC. Even us regular people could work out the controller could be used this way though, and there seems to be nothing wrong with the plan. Dismissing this setup is weird without trying it seems ridiculous as there are no obvious problems with it we can think off now.

The steering wheel attachment will totally NOT happen, I think. Why? Because unlike traditional steering wheels for consoles, you're holding this one up in the air the whole time. And unlike normal use of the core controller, you can't rest your arms on your knees (you can't turn this way). So it will be very tiresome.
Wouldn't that mean lifting the controller with two hands in general would be too tiresome? You won't have to hold it right in front of you, but you can just hold it as a controller and then turn it. I think the steering wheel attachment is even better than the normal steering wheels we've seen, as we don't have to screw this one on a table to play properly.

14_1_b.JPG

If a child can manage it I'm sure we can.

Heh,nice.I hope it's a realistic game to.

The FHC will not be used as a steering wheel, ever. And I'll tell you why...

I own the official gamecube wheel. It is fantastic, it makes racing games more fun, and once you get over learning how to use it, it is more precise. But some games don't support it properly, and don't offer force feedback (where the wheel turns of its own accord, to reflect terrain and to re-centre the wheel).

Any game where the wheel does not offer any resistance is totally unplayable. Burnout 2 made the wheel very solid, so you had to push against it to turn. This was perfect, everything worked seamlessly.

Mario kart doesn't have any resistance. As a result, you are stuck overcompensating ALL THE TIME. I'm skilled with the wheel, I have spent lots of time trying to make it work but it's just a pain.

Unless nintendo are incredibly clever, the FHC will have no resistance to motion either. I don't care whether some people will enjoy it, the vast majority won't ba able to use it at all, so ninty won't do it.

Also, to the shell-lovers- I have yet to hear of a game that could not be played with the FHC + nunchuk. Tell me that and I'll throw support for you.

dsc001021cz.th.jpg

The way I see myself holding the controller sideways is just like this, index finger holding each top corner and middle finger holding each bottom corner... my fingers aren't all over the place here... and it's comfortable to hold.

hopefully reggie will be in the new game .. im getting sick of these weak ass characters in racing games..... wheres the reggies and the perrins..... not every street racer is a gangster in there early twenties... there can be executives racing in videogames too , executives from nintendo... im just trying to be realistic about the whole thing......

Hope it's a decent racing game.And yea I think Nintendo is trying to release games to cover all the genres aswell.If that's true then their might be a RPG :)

Hope it's a decent racing game.And yea I think Nintendo is trying to release games to cover all the genres aswell.If that's true then their might be a RPG :)
A Camelot RPG I hope... They aren't releasing games since 2004, there must be something in store.

Please! Let it be realistic racing game like PGR or F-Zero Online!

This is absolutely the funniest thing I've heard in ages!!!

On a more constructive note, I personall would love to see the wheel - I'd get it!! But I also think it would be great with just the remote. As for which game? Well there's a lot I'd love it to be, the usuals - FZero, Mario Kart, waverace etc. I also would absolutely love to see Excitebike - this came out late on in the N64, I absolutely loved this game!!!I would like to see a game like Gran Tourismo and PGR, not for me personally I prefer the above, but it would do well for inticing other gamers!!

If Nintendo'd get a GT or PGR-beater, Sony and/or MS would be pretty screwed!

Not to mention I'd fill in my "Stay loyal to Nintendo"-contract for the next ten years...

Wait a minute, there's an official gaming wheel?

On gamecube yes, not on wii.

F-zero is made by sega....

PS: @Pedrocas the official wheel he is refering is for GC and not the ign mock-up for wii

This is absolutely the funniest thing I've heard in ages!!!

I think he meant a realistic game like PGR or [a totally different type of game like] F-Zero.

----

A realistic racing game by Nintendo would be really good, but if it was to stand a chance it would need to have a lot of licensed cars. Motorbikes in it would be good too....

F-zero is made by sega....

..only F-Zero GX was made by Sega (well.. Amusement Vision) ..it is a Nintendo franchise..

I can't believe I've gone all the way through these gages and no one mentioned 1080! It's got to happen at some point. I expect this game to just use the FHC but I too think the sensitivity could make it wierd.

Imagine if it was a real car game and you could do doughnuts by spinning the FHC in the palm of your hand. I'm sounding like a chav now, aren't I.

The 'using the core controller in a very different way' intigues me. Plus it confirms for me that it will just be the FHC, no add ons.