NEurope
YenRug

IGN Editors Roundtable

I thought it would be best to create a separate thread for this, the main Wii thread is a bit too chaotic for it to be appreciated. Oh, and this goes to show, it's not just Brits for whom the name has negative connotations:

Roundtable #160: Wii

Nintendo reveals the name of the new console. IGN Editors reveal their opinions.

by IGN Staff

April 27, 2006 - David Clayman, IGN Insider: This morning Nintendo announced the official name of their next generation console that was previously called The Revolution. They released this statement:

Introducing... Wii.

As in "we."

While the code-name Revolution expressed our direction, Wii represents the answer. Wii will break down that wall that seperates videogame players from everybody else. Wii will put people more in touch with their games... and each other. But you're probably asking: What does the name mean?

Wii sounds like "we," which emphasizes the console is for everyone. Wii can easily be remembered by people around the world, no matter what language they speak. No confusion. No need to abbreviate. Just Wii.

Wii has a distinctive "ii" spelling that symbolizes both the unique controllers and the image of people playing it. And Wii, as a name and a console, brings something revolutionary to the world of videogames that sets it apart from the crowd.

So that's Wii. But now Nintendo needs you. Because it's really not about you or me. It's about Wii. And together, Wii will change everything.

roundtable-160-wii-20060427010412019-000.jpg

We quickly polled our editors to gauge their response to the name. Unfortunately this text does not compare to the three solid hours of people running circles around the office screaming "Weeeeeee!"

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stephen Ng, IGN FAQs: Pee. One positive -- it will make our keyword system easier to use, internally anyway.

David Adams, IGN News: Wii seriously object.

Wii are a little terrified.

Wii don't know what ... oh... oh god...

Nintendo, I'm afraid you've been had. The new name for the Revolution (which shall always remain "Revolution" in my heart) is such an egregious example of convoluted, over-priced marketing work that I imagine Big N executives must have been kept in a brightly-colored, hermetically-sealed playroom and fed narcotic-laced smoothies for weeks while Evil Marketing Firm sold them on this name.

The official press release gives the game away: note the straining effort to justify why, in a single fey syllable, Nintendo now evokes smallness and urine: "Wii sounds like 'we,' which emphasizes the console is for everyone ... Wii has a distinctive 'ii' spelling that symbolizes both the unique controllers and the image of people playing it."

Uh. Yes. That is -- wait. All sense and reason tell me otherwise, but ... we're paying these guys an awful lot of money and ... maybe, yes, I'm squinting and -- oh, I haven't slept in a long time -- yes, that's it ... it's the sound of us. No, it's the sound of fun! Children. Flowers. I want ice cream. Send out the press release!

Fellow gamers, no need to convolute and buy into this. In comparison, a little purple box looks like a Doberman pincer of virile gaming domination.

Thank you, Marketing Firm, for once again demonstrating how easy it is to destroy any sense of finesse or soul. Wii are reprogrammed now. Wii understand. Wii thank you.

Chris Roper, IGN PlayStation: Nintendo is ******* retarded. That is all.

Mark Ryan Sallee, IGN Guides: I got into my car, and I hit the gas, and I was like "WIIIIIIIIIII," and then I hit a bump and my tires rubbed, and I was like "WIIIIIIIIIII," then I got my oil changed and they said "It'll be thirty dollars," and I was like "WIIIIIIIIIII," then I got into work and sat down at my computer and listened to a Queen song, and I was like "WIIIIIIIIIII," then I heard that Nintendo Revolution is now the Nintendo Wii, and I was like... "Oh."

Dan Adams, IGN PC: It's just like visualizing a waterfall or a running faucet. I need to pee.

Gerry Block, IGN Gear: When I've had a long day at work, there's nothing I enjoy more than coming home to play with my Wii. Sitting on the couch, relaxing, and working my Wii with both hands is just great. Sometimes I get so into it I just waste the whole night until my wrists get so tired I can barely jerk my Wii-mote.

It's even better when my girlfriend comes over and plays with my Wii too. She's pretty good at games, but she'll never be able to match my skill at playing with my Wii. Once she even brought a friend over and they both played with my Wii, it was great!

My Wii is pretty much my favorite thing in the world. If I ever lost my Wii, I think I would probably just kill myself. It's smart to be really careful with your Wii if you let a lot of strangers play with it. I'm pretty jealous of Bozon and Matt now, they're going to get paid to play with their Wiis all day long!

Juan Castro, IGN PSP: At this point, I'm not sure it matters if Nintendo's new system has a cool name or not. They want to attract infants and the senile, not the PS3 crowd. At any rate, "Wii" is no more cracked-out than the "Revolution" concept itself.

Really, a wicked-cool name wouldn't have made any sense. And in a way, "Wii" actually works. It's a total, funkified gamble. Just like everything Nintendo is doing nowadays.

Erik Harte, IGN Video: Seriously, any last shred of cool that Nintendo had was just thrown out the window. I mean, the whole style, look, and feel of the Revolution, with it's Mac-like color schemes, simplicity, and glowing blue light was very cool. But man, watch the Wii commercial. Not cool at all. Dammit Nintendo. You're shooting yourself in the foot.

Daemon Hatfield, IGN News: ...and just when i was starting to believe in Nintendo again...

Hilary Goldstein, IGN Comics: I died and went to comedy Heaven. Oh wait, you ******** are here. Dammit.

Peer Schneider, IGN Blogger: I... Uh... Ha. The... Heheheh. C'mon, man. Wii?

Look, I like the hopping letter "i" -- it reminds me of the old Pixar lamp. I like the whole Mac-like look of the logo. I like the concept of a three-letter console name that you don't have to abbreviate. But Wii? Why Wii? It's an ugly-looking "word." It's an ugly-sounding word.

I'm sure we'll all be used to it by the end of the year (I don't roll my eyes anymore when someone says "Banjo-Kazooie" -- although I really should), but this name just sounds so forced. I guarantee you the marketing firm had this on its sheet:

- Something short like iPod.

- Something with an "i" like iPod.

- Something that says "for everyone" -- you know, "mass market," like iPod.

What confuses me a bit is that it's not called Wiiii. See, if the letters are supposed to look like the controller, isn't one of Nintendo's keys for success four-player Mario Kart and Smash Bros.? So there should be four remotes. Or is each "i" one half of the controller (one in the left hand and one in the right)? If so, it really should be Wiiiiiiii. Unless Wii supports 16-player online matches. Then it'd be Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii.

I think in this case, marketing forgot that you can have a cool and mysterious ad campaign without applying that whole concept to the product name. Everyone knows the Budweiser "frog" commercials. But Budweiser is not called Frog Beer. PlayStation isn't called URnotE. Dreamcast isn't called Swirl.

Mark Nix, IGN Data: Nintendo needs to open up its E3 2006 press conference the same way PeeWee Herman opened up the MTV awards that one year ...

roundtable-160-wii-20060427012000009.jpg

As ridiculous as it is hitting us now, however, I can feel the name growing on me in some small way already. Wii is at once a terrible name for a videogame console and a catchy name for a gaming sensation. How any of us will go into a store and ask for a game for the "Wheeeeeeeeeeeeee!!", I have no idea, but the casual gamers turned off by this generation's complex and expensive Xbox and PlayStation game systems will hopefully find the charm in a console that literally screams fun. Meanwhile, the dedicated fan boys have already coined a new pronounciation (the term "Wise" or "Wiise", as in "'w' and two 'i's", has been coined), and some are still die-hard to stick Revolution stickers over the Wii logo when it hits stores. Wii is simple like iPod. Wii is cute like Aibo. Wii is ... well, it's no name for a game system, but it's all Nintendo, and to many, Nintendo is gaming.

Of course, no matter how much it catches on, the jokes will never die.

Erik Brudvig, IGN Guides: Wii is a pretty funny name, but its not like Nintendo is the only company in the history of games to have a goofy name for their console.

In all seriousness, I really hope Nintendo licenses the song "We Love You" by the Rolling Stones for their commercials.

We don't care if you only love "we"

We don't care if you only love "we"

We love you. We love you, and we hope

that you will love "we" too

I was expecting a more racional reaction to the name by the press, they don't have to like it but they don't need to trash it. It's just a weird name, not good, not bad, just weird. I can understand the concept of it being small and stylish like the console, but it doesn't feel "wright" saying it.

Juan Castro, IGN PSP: At this point, I'm not sure it matters if Nintendo's new system has a cool name or not. They want to attract infants and the senile, not the PS3 crowd. At any rate, "Wii" is no more cracked-out than the "Revolution" concept itself.

Really, a wicked-cool name wouldn't have made any sense. And in a way, "Wii" actually works. It's a total, funkified gamble. Just like everything Nintendo is doing nowadays.

Incredible how can this two comments can describe an entire comunity of fanboys.

Wow that PSP guy is a dick. The name pretty much sucks but so does having to pay $500 for a graphic update. Wii (dear sweet satan) will change gaming. I hope now anyway, this name could seriously hinder it.

I pity them... I mean... don't they have anything more to run? like... their sections of the site?

I mean... they have nothing to use so they turn to the name? it's like joking about playstation being the poostation, get my rift?

I don't understand how the industry can be so "anti-nintendo" is it because it's cool being like that? because if I recall correctly they did nothing wrong besides releasing their games and running their business.

Also... I don't know how fanboys like that get work and a stable job at IGN who is a "famous site" you'd think they went for quality, not raging fanboys, who use the site to broadcast their opinion... a opinion that, otherwise would be just that of a sony fanboy.

Oh... and that's not a roundtable... that's a BASHtable, even I who ain't a native english speaker know that. How ignorant can they be?

Well in my opinion saying "Nintendo Wii" sounds as good or as bad as saying "Sony PS3". I don't get why people have to do that. Could they make a better name? And above that why would it be a better name? The only negative thing that I can really see is that at a glance it can real look like "WWII" (World War 2). Then again that's just because there are too many WWII films and games (and mini-series).

In 2 weeks to year people wont care. Seriously its a good name, if you knkow hoe to interpert it and you can grasp where they are coming from.

But the best thing about the announcement....E3 is going to be all about the games

oh my god has he been looking at the sale figures for handheld world wide, because i think PSP is getting thier ass whooped by DS

Sorry to be in a first reaction state still (only found out the name half an hour ago), but I have to say I understand what they're saying.

Come on, Wii is worse than any name we've heard in the fakes.

Lets get a couple of IGN fanboy editors together! Yeah, we're not biased at IGN!

It should have just been called a Bashtable.

Three more editors have added their comments, now, two of them Nintendo:

Andy Eddy, IGN Community Manager: On the immediate basis, it's a weird, dumb, goofy, strange, idiotic-sounding and -looking name.

But, I figure in a year or so, no one will really care. We got used to Odyssey, Intellivision, NES, TurboGrafx-16 (well, not really), SNES, 32x (well, not really #2), PlayStation, Xbox and other weird system and software names before, haven't we?

Besides, any time someone questions whether Nintendo will survive its latest blunder, I repeat:

If you want to play Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong, Pokemon, Kirby and all of Nintendo's other big-name brands, you're going to have to buy Nintendo hardware.

And it'll be no different with, uh, Wii...

(That said, though, I think everyone was getting used to Revolution.)

Matt Casamasina, IGN Wii: Well, one thing is for sure: I'm going to be able to make some seriously sweet headlines with this bad boy. Bylines, too. Just check it out:

Nintendo Fans Unable to Swallow Wii

Community gags on the official new title for the formerly codenamed Revolution.

Yes! Tell me that isn't awesome?

At any rate, I'm not nearly as upset about this title as some. Claims that Nintendo has ditched any chance of success or thrown all coolness to the wind are, in my opinion, highly exaggerated. The name Google doesn't exactly scream "cool," either, but then again, everybody uses it. The product popularizes the name and not the other way around.

Wii, or Revolution, or whatever you want to call it, has not lost its potential. It's still a slick looking machine and its innovative controller could still be kick ass. As long as there are great, innovative games, I don't care if Nintendo calls the damned thing Anus Blaster 2000. I'm going to buy it and I'm going to like it.

Mark Bozon, IGN Wii: When this news hit, I'm sure I was one of the most upset and disgruntled of the IGN employees. I love Nintendo. Always have, and always will. Wii, however, is seriously pushing that love to new boundaries.

There are so many reasons to be frustrated with the name. It's seriously driving me crazy, as anyone in the LA office can confirm.

-Why is it spelled Wii? Did you need the iPod look that bad?

-Why not Revolution? It said everything it needed to, and it's bad-ass.

-How is this simple for people? I can picture parents already. "I need the Why-Eye for my kid please…"

-How in the hell does this make my Grandma want to play? If this is a console for everyone, maybe everyone should be able to recognize the name, rather than nobody.

Now I've taken a ton of crap for my over-the-top reaction to this so-called "revolutionary" name, but in the end it really doesn't matter that much. The Revolution is an amazing machine, the Virtual Console will rock, and I'm curious to see just what Nintendo has in store for it's fans. While the name Wii won't be stealing any image-conscious consumers from the 360 and PS3 stables, it won't change how amazing Metroid Prime 3 and Super Smash Bros. will be. Revolution is a cool system, it's got some amazing potential and I'm still excited about it.

Seriously though… why Wii?

I for one will continue to refer to the console as Revolution. When publishing on the site I'll have to use Wii, of course, but that's where it ends. I hate the name.

Seeing commercials to the song "We Will Rock You" will be pretty sweet though. That's where it ends.

"I need the Why-Eye for my kid please…" Is Nintendo secretly run by Geordies?

Very immature, but gives as an insight to what sort of names we can expect from fanboys now.

Im sure these guys are looking back and regretting their crybaby-ish comments, and either Nintendo is mortified by the immature reaction of supposedly professional journalists or they are having a hearty laugh at their immaturity.

Wow that PSP guy is a dick.

No m8 he is more than a dick. He is something i cant say in a public forum. Though its pretty funny to hear this for someone who will play 500 Euros to get a console wich is just the same as the previous only with better graphics. He is the same guy that will buy PS4, PS5, PS6, PS7,..., PS88387578296327739472.

Everyone has an opinion on this name. But i wont accept someone use this kind of "language". At first i thought to PM him but on second thought decided that he doesnt even deserve to spend my time on him.

Oh no! A bunch of immature fanboys dislike the name and diss it on first reaction! Oh God, why have you forsaken me!

How awesome. "Nintendo is ******* retarded".

Seriously, talk about going over the top. The name has a good philosophy surrounding it, it's unique and it's different. That's the key. It's different.

I also think that Nintendo has cottoned onto people abbreviating names of their consoles. For example, N64 instead of Nintendo64. Or PS2 instead of Playstation2. Wii is short, and to me it sounds like an abbreviation. I like the name.

I understand the need to make a unique, iconic name like the ipod. However if it has a secondary meaning that sounds like a bodily fluid maybe its not quite right.

What reaction do you expect otherwise? This is a name that brings up these reactions, people hate it and some people don't like it - there is no one, however, that'll say 'yeah, it's pretty good' because everyone can see what a terrible name they've made.

About the philosophy behind it - you don't have to call it Wii to be different, to be simple?

Honestly, I've never had problems with iPod, Google and whatsoever, because these names are OK on itself. Wii just isn't.

DCK allow me to say that you're a pretty negative person towards Nintendo, in expecting the worse output for them (I remember it about the rev tech discussions)... just sit back... relax and see the E3 conference :) While you're sceptic give them a chance... See what they can do with a name alone.

I understand the need to make a unique, iconic name like the ipod. However if it has a secondary meaning that sounds like a bodily fluid maybe its not quite right.

Right. So, whenever i use the word "we", that automatically means that i'm talking about going to the toilet?

All this negativity and using "urinating" as a reason to hate the name is childish. This is a fairly intelligent forum with some damn good members within it. Lets leave this idiocy to the gamespot forums, please.