NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Colin

3D Modelling Thread

Trial/Learning 3D Software Download Links

Autodesk Maya Personal Learning Edition

Autodesk 3DStudio Max (30 day trial)

SOFTIMAGE XSI: Foundation Edition (30 day trial)

Blender (Windows)

Blender (Mac OS X)

Wings3D (subdivision modeller)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please bare in mind the following:

• Constructive critique is valued, as it's always welcome.......so don't be afraid to suggest something
  • If you're linking to a piece of your work in video form, then please compress the file, as I doubt anyone wants to wait for a 50MB download and only to find out the actual clip is 10 seconds long (tutorials on this will be posted in the next few weeks or so)

This section will be updated over time to ensure a smooth ride. :wink:

A quick note and a thankyou

I would also like to add, that this has been the most successful 3D thread yet throughout the whole C-E/R-E history to my knowledge, so I would like to thank each and everyone of you that's contributed to this thread in anyway.............and hopefully this will be only the beginning. Keep it up guys!

If anyone's got any suggestions for this area then feel free to mention them.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

So here we are again, re-creating this thread for all those users with an interest in 3D modelling.

I hope those of you that have mentioned the creation of this thread previously on these new forums the other week will stick by your word and keep this thread updated with any of your latest creations, questions, and just general techniques/theories which can push your renders to their maximum potential.

Last week I started back at college for my second year in the course that I'm taking, and on the Thursday one of our lecturers told us that we would be starting Maya in a more in-depth fashion. So he took the class through modelling with CVs, and finally took the class onto rigging a basic model ready for animation. In class we made a Seal, and put in a spinal bone structure so it could pivot it's head up & down, and also rotate left/right. This was done to a very basic degree, and over time we'll be looking into these stages in alot more depth.

So today at home, I created a basic structure of a Swan, and again implemented a spinal structure. The wireframe of the bone structure is below, and an animated gif of it being animated is displayed after.

swan_rigged.jpg

swan_beauty.gif

Anyway, if you've got any shiznit you want to post, then go ahead and don't be afraid of demonstrating your skills, whether they be beginner or professional.

Wheeeee, 3D.

I should actually be trying my hand at some more 3D stuff. I'm studying animation and of course they're also wanting us to do 3D stuff (we work with Lightwave in school). However, the classes we've had up to this point have sort of sucked really bad and I'm just not good at this stuff. So yeah, I should actually really try to improve on it; any and all tips are welcome. =D

Right here I have a screenshot of my Makar model I did last year. Not the finished version, but still looks quite the same. Just a naked model though; no texturing yet (which I just first tried out this year).

3dmakar.jpg

I had to try and put it in a background and stuff. I actually tried to animate it too but there's just all kinds of stuff going wrong with the model. I don't yet really understand much of the more advanced bones settings and I don't know how to prevent the model from deforming. So I didn't really animate much in here. Still, you can check it out here. Beware though, it's like, almost 43 MB. >.>;

If anyone knows how I can make the filesize smaller without having to render all of it over again, please tell me. ='D

http://www.inespiration.com/school/makaraf.avi

(there's sound in there too, so be sure to put on your headphones/turn on your speakers; even though it's just Makar's violin theme song thingie X3 )

What programs do you guys use for 3D Modelling, and are there any decent ones which are not ridiculously expensive. I've just started at Art College, and 3D modelling is an area that I'd like to get in to :D

Wheeeee, 3D.

If anyone knows how I can make the filesize smaller without having to render all of it over again, please tell me. ='D

http://www.inespiration.com/school/makaraf.avi

Wow, brilliant piece of work I think. You should be proud. :hehe:

And I managed to compress the video down to 8MB by using Premiere on it. If you want me to send it over by email, then give us a shout.

How long have you been learning Lightwave for aswell?

I havent tried modelling in a long time now, maybe Ill start up again. Can get help from my brother, who just started with game-designing.

Wow, brilliant piece of work I think. You should be proud. :hehe:

And I managed to compress the video down to 8MB by using Premiere on it. If you want me to send it over by email, then give us a shout.

How long have you been learning Lightwave for aswell?

Hey, thank you for the compliment. =D

*will send you a PM about the file and stuff*

I started with Lightwave two years ago in school, though because the teacher that first year was really bad (they fired him after that year), I had to learn most of the basic stuff on my own. Last year we got two new teachers for 3D, but they didn't start teaching till the last couple of months, so I feel like I still didn't learn very much. I'm hoping this year I'll actually get to learn a bit more because I do want to get better at this. =3

I'm currently sitting in my 3D modelling class and yeah we have some random person marking our writting skills.......... "Excellent piece of writting!" is what she said so I'm happy.......

Will postsome work when I have some. =P

Hey guys I'm really intrested in this stuff, will PaintShop Pro work as a sort of modelling software I've got the PaintShop Pro 8 version but I don't know if it's out-dated I've also got Animation Shop 3.

these are some works of mine. they also can be found at the wallpapper thread

*Picks up jaw from floor*

Amazing!

i always been keen to learn some 3d modeling but never knew where to start. i guess i begin trying something out. i try lightwave as i know what that is but if anyone knows a begins program gives us a shout

Tried out that Blender thing. I've done the first couple of tutorials, and I feel as though I'm in a position to make some basic models (Made a Majora's Mask models but forgot to save it, D'oh!). Was panicing over how to apply the textures, but then realised they only appear when you render the whole screen. Can anyone tell me how tho apply different textures to different objects, and then join them together. The spikes on my Majora's Mask, all stayed in their position when I pressed ctrl+J, but the main bit of the mask remained detatched. Also, is there any way I can, for example, cut a sphere in half, so that it is a semi circle. Anyway, i'm going to keep working at it, and I'll post the results on here when i get round to it...

I have to learn how to use Solidworks for my engineering course. I know its not quite the same, but it was my first try at any sort of 3D thingy, and i found it quite fun.

minlack im trying out blender right now, the tutorials are great and easy to follow, thanks for the heads up

http://conbox.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/highwindscreen.bmp

Ermmm yah, I kinda like made this primarilly with the extrude tool....... First lesson in box modelling today you see.. I decided to take on the challenge........ Everything but the propellers are made out of one box with I dunno how many polygons. :-/ But yeah, I'm quite proud of it although I could have made a much better representation using more primitives. *shrug*

Hey darkcloud, that looks really cool. =3

I started modelling something again today (should've been working for school but meh, procastrination is funnnnn). As a reference, I'm using one of the drawings I made not too long ago.

Ride%20the%20Whale.png

The model I'm making now is not yet finished. As you can see, I still need to add the head (and coloring/texturing of course). However, I'm not sure if I should make it so he can open his mouth... because that's a lot of extra work. And it just seems a bit difficult to do even; any tips as on how to do it are welcome. =3

whale1.jpg

I'll be sure to post again when (if) it's finished; might do some animation tests with it too even, if I can find the time.

I hope you dont feel ofenced but isnt that a standart wale you can download? If not see this as a verry big compliment

Sign in to follow this