NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Colin

3D Modelling Thread

It certainly looks interesting Captain! What are you using?

It's all done with C++ using DirectX 11. One of my assignments is to make a game engine and this is where I'm up to at this point. That shading isn't required but it's something I wanted to look at and was reasonably happy with my result. There just doesn't seem to be that much out there for DX11 aimed at beginners so it's slow going at the moment.

I might try doing a black and white filter as well now I'm thinking about it.

Grey Scale

greyscale.png

Black and White (which naturally looks a lot better at certain angles due to a lack of things in my scene)

blackwhitem.png

And finally, Cel Shaded with a border

borderv.png

That last one too me some working out but I got there in the end. Right now the bordering is set to only show on the landmass but I can easily turn it on for any other object. Having it on the water and/or skybox produces some strange results for them (probably due to their shape). Certain angles look better than others but I think I'm getting there. There are multiple ways of doing the lines so I could always try a different way if I am that obssessed by it.

Edited by Captain Falcon

When I was in college the professor showed us an interesting way to make a fake easy border around your models. His method was to take the mesh, scale it out a very small amount, flip the normals, and set the new mesh to be a flat, unshaded black.

The problem there is that you double your triangle count, but... meh. I dunno if you'd be able to do a similar technique using a shader or not, but... that's the knowledge I have on the subject.

koopaborder.jpg

That's just a screengrab of Maya's viewport renderer.

When I was in college the professor showed us an interesting way to make a fake easy border around your models. His method was to take the mesh, scale it out a very small amount, flip the normals, and set the new mesh to be a flat, unshaded black.

The problem there is that you double your triangle count, but... meh. I dunno if you'd be able to do a similar technique using a shader or not, but... that's the knowledge I have on the subject.

The shader has full access to alll the vertex information so there is no reason why I couldn't do that in there and it would prove quicker than doing it on the CPU as well since it's all parallelized.

I did see that technique online, I think it was in the wiki page, and whilst you always end up increasing your polygon count, they suggested that it was a matter of scaling and reversing the normals on the polygons that would have been culled. As an artist, I guess that's not something you would normally be dealing with but for a programmer, that is something I can tell the system to do and though it would take longer to code, I'd imagine it would probably be less system intensive overall.

That's odd, I'm pretty sure you can do that effect in 3dsmax without needing to do it that way at all, but it's been a while since I've bothered modelling..

This may be a slighty weird/badly placed request, but I'm trying to create a simple 3D animation involving an axb table, which rotates through 90 degrees, leading to a ax1 table, which in turn then extrudes in the new dimension to produce an axc table. My main problem, then, is that I want text labels in each cell, and these need to remain front-facing throughout the process. Plus, this should ideally be embedable in a powerpoint or similar presentation, and I'd like to avoid using too much complex software if possible. Is there any simple way of doing this, or would it require a proper 3D animation package?

Here, have a cup...

cupll.png

Gotta start small right?

Cool cup.

That least piece I did was this -

p24xtbR.jpg

Currently working on Morrigan

Cool cup.

Not really, but it's the first time I've ever used any modelling software and I figure it's something that would be useful to be able to male small models of stuff so the easiest way to get to grips with software like that is to follow some basic tutorials and that one looked pretty basic. Not looking to do anything particularly elaborate but just make some things I can drop into levels to populate them and give them a bit more life.

Good stuff, well good luck with your studies. It's pretty easy once you get the basics of modelling, especially hard surface.

Hmmm... finally got a new PC so it's back to the 3D board of things. Been ages and @Tissue Town is making me silly jealous!

Excellent anatomical tone in in your Poké Girl TT, think you need to look into the material settings on her face though as she's looking a bit plasticky and manic! :p

I'm starting back with some UDK to get myself back into things. I don't class myself and naturally artistic in the conventional sense so I'm hoping that I'll be able to get some design on.

Started learning Unity 3D and considering picking up Blender to do some model work for it (nothing too fancy, just to add some flexibility). Can anyone recommend any good tut sites for it?

Familiar with Maya, but wanted to try something open source because of monies.

Started learning Unity 3D and considering picking up Blender to do some model work for it (nothing too fancy, just to add some flexibility). Can anyone recommend any good tut sites for it?

Familiar with Maya, but wanted to try something open source because of monies.

http://cgcookie.com/blender/

First time trying out 3d

v6669g.jpg

Gotta start somewhere!

Edit: Oops. Gotta start somewhere in learning to post images too.

Edited by dan-likes-trees

I have started making simple and unrealistic stuff in Maya (swords, guns, bottles, etc.) a while ago.

Now I switched to characters.

I can say making game characters of any kind is an insane job to do for somebody with a programming background.

At least it's not as hard as making music.

I wanted to make a chibi robo WiiU mockup a while ago, but that never happened.

Ended up with a chibi robo model though:

ke7kls.png

Might end up rigging it sometimes, but I'm really horrible at that so far :p

This is a great thread!

Started messing around / trying to recreate things with C4d again this week.

Super-basic but thought I'd post as a starting point, see how I prgress in the future sorta thing

25pio3q.jpg

2qwhglx.jpg

mmy178.png

2euh1te.jpg

2enommp.jpg

Sign in to follow this