NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Colin

3D Modelling Thread

Here's a (short?) movie that was done with blender. And it's completely free. You can even get the models and textures they used if you like. The link

And the best way to get it is probably with a torrent client. The direct downloads are probably hitting the bandwidth limit.

Well, I feel embarrased posting this but it took so long that I will anyway:

fruitofeffort8ai.jpg

It is the second model I've ever made and it has bones and can be animated! It was origianally a donkey - but I failed at that. I'm going to make another one tomorrow with a nicer bone structure so I can post a nice animation for you all.

I must say that I am amazed at some of the work you guys do.

Been using max for a few months, only done a few bits and bobs. Here are my first completed scenes.

the water on the wired looking thing was done using a program called bryce, i just imported the mesh.

hylian%20shield%202.jpg

aiiii.jpg

dansguitar.jpg

toxic.jpg

hope you like!!

Nice work, the shield could be touched up a bit tho (looks like the details ant attached to the shield).

How'd you do the grass?

Cheers. I felt the shield loked better with the features raised a little as it added to the shadow but they do need altering a little. I just used the Hair modifier for the grass, changed the colour to green!

OK I really NEED SOME HELP!!!!!!

In a major panic because I'm doing a pretty big project in quite a short space of time. I haven't really done any texturing or playing around with materials before but I thought I was getting the hang of things until TODAY. Been asigning some nice bumps to materials and sunddenly stuff just stops working. NO bumps. Not anywhere... wtf?!! I'm using Maya and at first thought it could be the render settings I was using but it's not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PLEASE HEEELP!

hylian%20shield%202.jpg

aiiii.jpg

WOW these 2 are amazing! im such a noob at 3d modeling all this stuff looks really cool! lol

To the person whose having problem with the textures........ Ermmm I'm not really sure whats going on as I don't use Maya...... I have had problems with max materials before though. v.v;;

One thing (I dunno if its the same in maya) did you have a have a UVW map or unwrap uwv and then modify the object? That can mess things up... Don't think it would mess up bump settings though. :(

Yesterday I gave in my final project for my 3D course and I got quite some praise (dunno why it wasn't that good XD)... Well we had a presentation of all the work and yeah.. Was fun. ^^:;; I'm going to upload a couple of videos of work I've done and will post a link a bit late.

Edit: Here it is. ^^;

Pretty damn good mate. The bit with the bunny heads is pretty sick. Liking it a lot.

It was me worrying about the bumps earlier. They just started wokring again for no reason, just as quickly as they had stopped. I'll be posting my work a bit later. Nice to finally see the city in a vid btw.

Looking back at my work now I kind of wish I had the time to re-render some of it....... Especially one I left out of that video as it looks so horrid when it's not played with the screen settings I made it on. ; ; That's shown me never to mess with colours on a screen your using for any kind of art. >.>

As for your tower Jamba, it's looking pretty good. :) Any chance we can get a loot at the side with the holes so we can see the stairs inside?

Also, is the pinkish colour finalised? I personally think it would look cool in a dirty white colour. :)Throw in a noise map or two (if that's what it is on maya v.v;;;) for some dirt and I think it would look awesome. :)

It'w meant to be skin ya see... but yeah that would look quite nice. And for those who are all like "huh?" at this: it's architecture based on human body forms, internal and external. I know it looks a bit phalic but I was looking at both Gaudi and Giger for inspiration so it's probably a bit of a subconscious accident. Also it's based on a tower... what else would an organic tower look like?!!?!

The inside? OWRLY?!

Here ya are... and also anothe one of my personal favourites from the chamber upstairs!

These pics would have helped make more sence. XD The randomness isn't conveyed in the first pic. XD

do any of you use blender?

i started learning it and i couldn't get to grips with it, is blender like other 3D programs?

it takes a while (actually a lot of time...) to learn blender. The key to it: learn the keyboard shortcuts. There are some good tutorials on the blender site. Just dl some of them and just force yourself doing the stuff as long as you need to.

As if it's the same? Absolutely no. It does 3d modelling but thats about all that there is similar to maya or 3ds max. Personally I don't like the 'hooking' versions of maya and 3dsmax so I use a free one.

it takes a while (actually a lot of time...) to learn blender. The key to it: learn the keyboard shortcuts. There are some good tutorials on the blender site. Just dl some of them and just force yourself doing the stuff as long as you need to.

As if it's the same? Absolutely no. It does 3d modelling but thats about all that there is similar to maya or 3ds max. Personally I don't like the 'hooking' versions of maya and 3dsmax so I use a free one.

i did some of those tutorials for a week and didn't feel i got anywhere, i'll try a different appliction then might go back to it.

Lol, me of all people is bringing this thread back to life.

Anyway, I recently (3 hours ago) thought to try out blender. Thus I found a pdf with some advice, and...duh duh duh duuuuuuh* i find link to their wiki page.

So I follow the first tutorial, and I made this:

myfirstfloorhu2.jpg

Pretty shit, I cant get the light right.

(*tune when link gets an item)

Stefkov - I approve of your bump of this thread. :smile: Great to see you're getting into it. When you first start this sort of thing, you really just need to cain through some tutorials. Then you'll feel confident to make things on your own, and you won't get so stuck on how to make things for example.

I started posting my 3d work in the "meaningless post of the day" thread, as I felt there wasn't a lot of interest still here in the subject compared to where it used to be. But I'm usually doing 3d non-stop really at the mo. I did create my first car model recently which came out OK.

Currently I've got to create a street scene, and it has to be fully textured and that as well. Needs to be in for this Thursday coming, so going to be working on it flat out between now and then. Progress is slow, but here's what I've got so far. It was more of a test to see what the corrugated metal door and its bump map came out like. Modelling a street themed around Barcelona.

I reckon I'm only about under 5% complete or so of the modelling phase, which will give people a rough guess as to how much more needs to be done. Then it's the texturing all on top of that as well. This stuff takes time.

Barca_test_render_CR.jpg

*image is stupid big. But rendering in HD makes me all warm.

Sign in to follow this