NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Colin

3D Modelling Thread

Yeah I know its not 3D but it seemed like the best place to ask.

I was having all sorts of tissues and issues with the alpha channel so I've just been modelling my characters and then texturing them based on that. Going okay so far. Although I've decided to just do rough textures so far because using anything on my computer causes it to heat up and emo out so I'll wait until I'm back at uni and fine tune them. Anyway for now:

Poseidon:

poseidonrender2.png

Academic:

academicrender2.png

I'm aware of faults (discussed here) and they're just initial drafts at the moment. But at least I know its possible eh? Need to do a few other characters over the weekend and then I'm going to do rigging next week. Hoping a basic joint system will be fine (its meant to be a child's imagination so it's supposed to look rough) but if not again I'll do it on Setup Machine at uni once I'm back.

Hmm, someone might know here:

I want to be show my wireframes in my scenes (which I've done), but I also want to show my polycount exaclty how it looks when you press 7 in max, any ideas how?

Sorry, what do you mean exactly how it looks?

As in what polys are visible in the scene, or the selection... or?

Sorry, what do you mean exactly how it looks?

As in what polys are visible in the scene, or the selection... or?

ill_vprt_show_statistics.gif

I basically want that when I render properly, I know how to get it in the scene (press 7) but obviously it doesn't render, I was wondering if there was a way?

Oh!

Well unless you're doing a viewport grab using a DirectX shader then no, I don't think so.

Could just grab that, delete the grey from it and put it on top in Photoshop.

Oh!

Well unless you're doing a viewport grab using a DirectX shader then no, I don't think so.

Could just grab that, delete the grey from it and put it on top in Photoshop.

Ah right, thankyou, I was thinking of doing it through photoshop but wasn't sure if it were possible in max. Tsk.

edit: I was finally able to make a semi-decent cloud (rendered quickly, sorry boys!)

tumblr_ljx1effu021qdzlwao1_500.jpg

woo!

Edited by nightwolf

Could anyone recommend a decent uni to study game's design, mainly focused on the 3D modelling side of things, I love doing it but the course I'm on is barely any design work (although we were promised loads) and programming heavy, I need to move!

So yeah, any decent courses you guys know of?

I'd consider thinking hard about whether you want to do games design with strong 3D or just go all out on a 3D game art course.

Knowing what I know now, and what I want to do, I wish I'd just gone on a game art focused course.

But when going to uni I wanted to look at game design, small amount of programming, etc.

Although saying that...

If I had just done an art related programme I wouldn't have got introduced to loads of things I love.

I really wanna concentrate on 3D, but at the same time I love more technical aspects, such as rigging and scripting, as well working in engines.

So... I dunno.

My advice would be to find one that just... feels like a fit.

Although do ask about lecturers with industry experience.

That's something I never asked about and is really important... at my uni. there's only one lecturer who has industry experience.

I've heard at some places (not UK though) having guest lecturers who come in once a week to teach final year students who have current jobs in the industry - and I'm not talking about just giving a talk or something, like... actually sitting down and teaching a weekly class on rigging.

Just thinking about that makes me insanely jealous.

Also... some general game design degrees have close links with games programming degree.

I'm mostly talking about my experience here.

And so in first, second and final year you'll have a module where a group is made from those on the game design and programming degrees and you essentially make a game.

Although the results are more often than not pretty average, it does still give you huge experience (although not seen as work experience or anything) of how these things can actually be made.

A lot of the design degrees are quite insular... "Hey, I've made this character and he's a million polys, I'm going to put him in a game" ...with people having hardly any concept of what is acceptable.

Also when you get closer to final year the games get better and groups function better.

And you can then enter competitions that are geared towards the end of uni. term.

Two guys who made a game during final year and entered it into Game Republic Student Showcase ended up working for Rockstar Leeds.

In fact it was just on a couple of days ago for this year: http://gamerepublic.net/news/game-republic-student-showcase-2011-winners/

Also there's a whole bunch of people that take their game or team into things like Dare to be Digital: http://daretobedigital.com/

But yeah...

Just... go to lots of places and talk about it a lot.

There's no one place that's the best, all of them have flaws.

Just find people who have been to the unis you're interested in and ask why it's good, why it isn't, etc.

Just wondering, can anybody model in the style of N64 graphics? Like banjo kazooie style characters?

I'm not sure what you're asking?

Define N64 style graphics..?

Modelling characters like Banjo Kazooie? Or modelling super low poly characters..? Please elaborate.

It probably has something to do with his stupid* fan game that he posted about. :indeed:

*I say "stupid" because he spammed the forum just so he could post about it.

Edited by Magnus

Where has all the 3D gone to?

Cool concept I found online

ref.jpg

My progress so far

highPoly06.jpg

Still a long way to go.

Can't wait to finish placement this month so I can spend my entire days working.

Also I'm aware that some proportions are off right now.

There's one that's quite glaring, but I will fix that later.

Is anyone available to do modelling requests? Had an animation idea floating around for ages but I would need a custom model and my modelling is shit. Would be similar to a fox and I can send more details/sketches if anyone can do it.

Oh and ideally rigged. If not I can try my hand at the rigging.

I know its a big ask so no worries if not.

Sorry I am too busy gearing up for final year.

If this had been a month ago though!

And back into the jaws of death the thread goes...

I think I finished the high-poly I was working on.

highPoly12.jpg

Just discovered SketchUp. I've never done any kind of 3D modelling before, so I'm pretty pleased with my first attempt (beside the obligatory house that all the tutorial videos get you to make..)

wii.jpg

wiiback.jpg

Huh just searched for Sketchup...interesting.

Its only taken 9 months, but I'm finally getting into modelling again, started work on a city, currently doing the layout for it.

Could take me a while as I have no real deadline, but its fun for now.

Oh man, the 3D thread.

I haven't been here in ages...

Also, haven't done much 3D in a while.

UNTIL NOW

I've been working on a video, needed to create a few assets for the video :P

marioassets.png

EDIT:

Edited by Llama Juice

My first attempt at writing a cel shading routine as transformed my ouput from this...

beforev.png

to this...

afterys.png

I don't think any of the textures are particularly suited to the effect but I'm still reasonably pleased with how it's looking - could probably do with some tweaking though. Not too sure whether to attempt to add the line borders or not.

I know it's not actually 3D modelling but I figured this was as good as anywhere else to stick it since it is all 3D. Best of all is that I toggle the effect in real time so I don't have to keep re-running the project to see the different effects when I add more things to my scene.

Sign in to follow this