NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Colin

3D Modelling Thread

Oooh the water is really awesome :D Great work.

I like the chess designs too :)

I managed to fix the ripples:

zenstones-1.jpg

I also made some lego for giggles:

legobricks.jpg

It's nice to get back into it all again, 24hours ago I couldn't even remember what cut did, shame on me!

I take it you're simply messing around with materials right?

I mean regarding your idea of making a chess set. That's all well and good as an exercise, but you want to avoid doing anything like that as serious work. It's incredibly cliched. But like I said, if you're just messing around, go nuts.

Edited by Tissue Town

It's nice to get back into it all again, 24hours ago I couldn't even remember what cut did, shame on me!

Congrats on fixing the ripples :)

I'm concerned about this. Its been so long since I've Mayaed (or Mayored) that I'm worried I'll have forgotten most of it. I have a few weeks after I finish work (tomorrow :D) and before I begin my course to try and refresh myself but hmm. Concerning!

And more importantly, I need to umm...find my ummm...Maya disc. Umm...damn my 6 month education license expiring.

Congrats on fixing the ripples :)

I'm concerned about this. Its been so long since I've Mayaed (or Mayored) that I'm worried I'll have forgotten most of it. I have a few weeks after I finish work (tomorrow :D) and before I begin my course to try and refresh myself but hmm. Concerning!

And more importantly, I need to umm...find my ummm...Maya disc. Umm...damn my 6 month education license expiring.

"Aquire" it. No one will persecute you for "somehow" getting hold of a £2000 piece of software.

How do you think artists get into the industry in the first place?

Last time I checked its not so easy finding acquirable Mac versions.

"Aquire" it. No one will persecute you for "somehow" getting hold of a £2000 piece of software.

How do you think artists get into the industry in the first place?

Exactly, half my tutors and most of the professionals I've spoken to admit to it, it's too expensive to buy!

I know autodesk have a 13 month trial for 3dsmax 2011, I'm not sure if they do for Maya?

I was worried too, but with a quick tutorial you pick it up pretty quickly.

Tissue - none of this stuff is 'portfolio' work, it's basically to get me back up to scratch, the water stuff is to see if I'm capable of making 3D stills. Long as it's good I can use the skills towards my final year project.

What are you aiming to do for your final year project?

Because I have seen a lot of final year project, and they generally tend to try to do too much, too many different things, and ends up being wasted.

Basically, don't even attempt to make an animation that's longer than 10 seconds, for instance.

What are you aiming to do for your final year project?

Because I have seen a lot of final year project, and they generally tend to try to do too much, too many different things, and ends up being wasted.

Basically, don't even attempt to make an animation that's longer than 10 seconds, for instance.

I'm doing a 3d environment, nothing big, just very pretty.

I don't want to do any animation because:

1. I suck at it

2. I suck at it majorly.

So it's entirely possible to do within 9-10months, I've got it all under control as they say! :grin:

Something I made last night/today, the render quality is a lot better than this but photobucket always makes a mess of it. Mental ray render again.

underwaterscene-1.png

I'm not sure whether to leave it or put some shadowed fish in.

Edited by nightwolf

I don't know but I'd say leave the underwater as it is. Putting fish would be common but I like the emptiness, the sense of depth etc. Reminds me of Ghost in the Shell when the Major is floating back to the surface (if you've ever seen that).

Its nice that the thread is active again, fret not about spamming :D

Anyway I really like it, except maybe I'd add something to the moon (sun?). It just seems like a white circle. I know it happens but a bit of texture could, in my opinion, make it look less flat. But wonderful stuff :)

Its nice that the thread is active again, fret not about spamming :D

Anyway I really like it, except maybe I'd add something to the moon (sun?). It just seems like a white circle. I know it happens but a bit of texture could, in my opinion, make it look less flat. But wonderful stuff :)

It's because the moon/sun (yes I haven't quite decided yet either), is actually the light called daylight, its not something I've modelled. I have been fiddling with it, so it'll change eventually. But it was fun to make none the less.

I like that I've managed to go from not being able to do anything in max to this, it also shows how incredibly crap my course is and how much I haven't learnt on a games design course.

It's nice to see some activity in this thread again!

Also good to hear you're getting back into 3D as well, I look forward to more!

I need afterburn on 3ds max (2011 version), but I don't really know where to find it (the plugin) any ideas?

Well version 4 should be fine...

You can buy it from their website...

Some people go to such torrent websites, especially this one with a "z" on the end of it, and would probably type in something like "afterburn 3ds" and click the first link and then the first link again; which would probably be a popular website that hosts the link such as PirateBay.

Well version 4 should be fine...

You can buy it from their website...

Some people go to such torrent websites, especially this one with a "z" on the end of it, and would probably type in something like "afterburn 3ds" and click the first link and then the first link again; which would probably be a popular website that hosts the link such as PirateBay.

I managed to get my hands on it. Thankyou.

Although, I still can't seem to make very realistic looking clouds.

If you're planning to make volumetric clouds then a particle system will do that for you. Otherwise planes and alphas.

If you're planning to make volumetric clouds then a particle system will do that for you. Otherwise planes and alphas.

Hmm, Pcloud by any chance? I did start messing with it, but I haven't been able to develop anything that looks like this:

114-1446_IMG.jpg

edit: spent so much time looking through tutorials for good looking trees/grass and clouds..sigh.

Edited by nightwolf

I forgot about this thread.

I haven't posted in here in years... haha wow.

Sadly I've been stupidly lazy lately... so my more recent projects aren't done... or even really in a position to show off right now...

I do have my Uni demo reel up though. :P

I dunno how to embed Vimeo on here... So... yea :/

For the most part, yea.

The first two scenes are rendered in the UDK. All the models, textures, particles, visual elements, were created by me in Maya/Photoshop though. The third scene is a student game so not all the art in that is mine (which... I really need to just delete that haha) and the last scene is all just rendered out of Maya.

They look good, much better than my second year attempts at UDK/UT3 although I've had some awful tutors.

I feel so very far behind, stupid course, stupid tutors.

Sign in to follow this