NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Colin

3D Modelling Thread

First vid: when he's sliding that thing it stays on the table at all times, even when spinning and sliding. How about as he's spinning it he raises it off the table a smidgen?

Second vid: the guy in the background is walking (falling?) backwards. Stops, turns around and goes again. I think it would work better if it was smoother, all one fluid motion.

Oh and if you want to add a nice detailed touch perhaps after he has tapped his finger a few times he could shake it a bit as if its hurt. You know like you do even though it makes no difference? Scientists are easily hurt afterall :p

And as far as where I've been re: 3D. Beeeeeeeee-sey! Too much work, work, work for me. But I'm trying to dabble here and there along with dabbling in drawing.

Actually, anyone know where I can get free ready-to-animate 3D models (pref of people) from? I think the course is from the grounds up, but I would like to practice a bit beforehand.

Edited by Ashley

Ta. Downloaded the Generi rig and playing around with that but urgh. You confuse me Maya! I'll set a key frame and get to work and do some stuff and suddenly other key frames have vanished. What are you playing at? I'm sure theres a reason but urgh. Frustrating.

Also, my Maya education license runs out in 6 days. What's a boy to do?!? (and where the hell did the last six months go? O_0)

Look wha' I made!

Obviously not great but a little play around. Hours worth of work for four seconds. Its like that time I seduced Ellmeister.

Edited by Ashley

Another day, another animation attempt!

I was trying for a walk cycle but Fcheck doesn't seem to want to save as a cycle...it previews as one but saves just once. Anyone know how to sort the bloody bugger out?

But oh well. Here it is!

Obviously not perfect or anything but happy enough. Practice makes perfect ^_^

Now just to beat Fcheck around a bit.

As a first attempt its not too bad, but you need to go and check walk cycle images on google, it'll give you a good idea of how to move the legs.

At the moment its a very bouncy walk, with very snappy legs, let it flow a bit more and you'll have it down.

I like your little blue character, did you model him yourself?

Nah its Generi (whose name makes me laugh as I have a lecturer called Gerri who has the same charming simplicity about him).

Mhm I know its not perfect but its mostly play at the moment. Getting my head around it. Was following Richard William's work. Oh and the rig is a big awkward, can't control the knee which meant I had to compromise at times. But thought I should just get it out there, otherwise I'll only obsess over it when I don't have the time to.

Its definitely good for the first time you've tried animating a walk cycle, they are quite difficult to get perfect, I always have to go over mine several hundred times before I can even begin to feel happy with it.

Make the knees bend more and snap less, then move the hips to coincide with this. The head movement is great, a lot of people forget that.

Another test before my license runs out tomorrow. Again, not perfect but practice makes it apparently. Tried to get a few more things working here and this new model is more flexible. Plus you can control its face!

For instance the forefront arm doesn't go very forward but hey ho.

Oh and I did one loop in FCheck, then repeated this in iMovie.

You can definitely see your progress in this one.

However, the legs still snap, something you need to make more gentle. Plus his arms need to bend more, he looks like he's trying to be camp there.

But I love that you've moved the head, the hands, the feet are great! You're getting there, well done. :)

I like how you thought it looks a bit camp and I thought it looked a bit wigga ^_^

But cheers. Yeah I probably need to get the overall arcs in and then go by frame by frame (which I do somewhat) but next time I will definitely focus more on the legs.

Cheers for the feedback :)

Np, I don't know how animating in maya works, I usually do it in 3dsmax and just sit with the frames for a very long time.

But its on the right track, I never get mine good tbh, not to my tutors standard anyway!

THIS HASN'T BEEN POSTED IN IN NEARLY THREE MONTHS!

Not that I have anything to add to it because work takes up all my time :( But has anyone been up to anything interesting?

Yeah, you know.. working on characters whilst working on characters in my free time with some drawing here and there and zbrushing. S'all good.

I haven't been up to much of late to be honest.

Although I'm going to do a few exercises each day, nothing majorly big though.

I'm going to wait until I start placement in September before I tackle something large in my free-time.

So I've been wanting to create the moon machine (cooker) from Wallace and Gromit for a while. I made it a long time ago very high poly and without any thought for game use. So I decided to remake it with game principles in mind.

cookerwip.jpg

I'm worried that it's too high poly (I can't really see where I can lower it any more) and that the face of him is to messy. But in order to keep everything quads that was the best I could do.

I will bake extra detail such as the "gaps" like I have in my old high poly model:

cookerhigh.png

I'll also make some other stuff from the scene like the rocket and stuff:

rockets.png

Looks good.

Although it reminds me there are a lot of technical things I still need to learn :/

You making a game with him, or are you just making it game-friendly?

Just game friendly really.

Everything I do from now onwards I'm going to try and make with gaming in mind.

Everything I do from now onwards I'm going to try and make with gaming in mind.

Guaranteed to approve your love life by -75%!

It looks fab Wesley, I think you could maybe make the face less messy, but in all honest I don't think it matters massively for now!

Are you going to texture them? :)

Way to high poly. Curves have far too many edges. Normal map will fix that. You can half the amount of tris easily.

Cheers for the feedback guys (and gals).

I've managed to trim the poly count down to 3,523 and, without ruining parts of the mesh or UV, I think that's it.

I'll post an image once I have internet.

I'll hopefully have it unwrapped by then too ready for some texturing.

cookerwip2.jpg

rocketwip.jpg

The rocket in the short.

The window looks messy, this is how it's actually created though.

rocketex.jpg

The main part of the rocket will have an alpha where the window is, the flat surface will be the "window" and then the outer rim.

Although it might be messy to create with textures, I thought it would be best rather than cutting into the main body geometry?

I was also thinking of just putting the window on the actual body texture, but it's got curves in so... I dunno.

I'm just going to do the higher poly version and bake them.

After I procrastinate for a while...

Heyy great Wesley. Happy that you´ve managed to lower the poly count also. Oh it would be nice to see those in action in a game too... :rolleyes:

Few bits I've done since yesterday.

zenstones.jpg

The zen stones one is annoying me, I did a plane with a ripple modifier on it, in my scene it looks great but when I render (mental ray), it comes out as above, any ideas what I've done to make it look silly?

Water still

Water.jpg

Copper/brass/gold (not great, but I was just messing to see about different metals.)

CSB.jpg

Pawn design (I'm hoping to make a full chess board in the next week or so.)

test.jpg

I've not really messed with lighting/cameras much on these things, I've mostly been focusing on the modelling itself.

Edited by nightwolf

Sign in to follow this