NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Colin

3D Modelling Thread

Hmm I had this issue with a candle. I couldn't quite figure out why it was stretching and repeating itself in such a way.

I don't quite think it was the model itself given it was just a simple cyclinder..hmm.

Can you show us the wireframe on-top of your model (there should be like... an edge view I guess) and also the UV map that you've done.

And also the texture.

A really good way to check for stretching before you texture is to put a repeating checker pattern by the way.

Make sure they're all the square and the same size (unless you want one specific area to have more detail, like a logo on clothes or something).

Like:

checkerexample.png

And my internet is being nice today and I can see your images; it does just look like texture stretching...

Well here is the model I textured:

sb3nf6.jpg

But then I thought it may just be because its proxy smoothed so I tried with the shadowey outer area that controls it (not sure why its sticking out the back at the moment...)

15gun9c.jpg

But no joy.

The UV map started out as a box design kind of thing and I've tried everything I could think of. At the moment its one big cat fur (taken from a photo of my cat). I think for the sake of getting this done I may just texture him using a normal shader, add some fur and then try this all again later so I can learn UV.

May also go back and do some UV tutorials but I don't really have time at present (present = prior to this having to be handed in).

Sneaky edit 'ley :p

Anyway yeah I tried applying a checker and matching it all up but I apply a texture and...

263a834.jpg

Why just the arse? Likewise, if I try and attach fur to the model (or at least the body) it only attaches it to the chest and arse. I'm starting to think Maya is a cat pervert. Same with any section I try. The only section it will allow me to complete checkerise is the nose.

These are the bits it will let me fur-arise:

2lsa8hx.jpg

I suppose I could leave it blank and edit it in photoshop afterwards... Or I could just say its meant to be a statue:

vwverl.jpg6rilud.jpg

Actually I like it in silver... if it would let me attach fur where I wanted I could work from that.

Muhah! Cheat. I made a series of spheres and attached fur to that, and put them under the body.

2570yef.jpg

So far. Will work on it after the weekend.

Edited by Ashley
Automerged Doublepost

The fur on balls (lol) actually looks better, because they all seem to blend nicely.

I honestly don't know what the problem would be if you've unwrapped it...

Normally if something just isn't unwrapped properly it'd just... go weird.

Like:

nonunwrapped.png

I think that looks kinda cool, as checkers. Granted anything else it would look weird.

I'll try again after the weekend but I do like the furry balls.

Just need to groom them. I wish there was a "comb" function :p (yeah there's the 'direction' paint tool thing but not the same, not the same!)

A quick update:

scientistProgress25Jan.jpg

scientistProgress25Jan6.jpg

scientistProgress25Jan4.jpg

scientistProgress25Jan5.jpg

Still got his collar thing for the lab coat to do.

And belt.

And... the flares aren't corded yet, that will be done using texture maps.

Erm...

Er...

Yeah.

He has a nice collar with buttons.

But you can't see it that well.

!

Aye.

So looking at it a little less tired I can see a few more problems.

I'll hopefully have an update later tonight after I get back home (and after a nap).

*falls asleep at keyboard*

I think it looks good! Also, you could possibly make his torso a bit shorter if you really want to go for the short and stubby look. =)

But yeah, looking good so far. I like his huge nerdy glasses. =D

Untuck his shirt a bit and make his tie an improper length (huge nameisblankingonme...that loop bit, and make the whole thing shorter). I'm not sure why but I picture him to be really disheveled. Too busy with sciencing?

Huge knot?

I'll give you a huge...

Thanks guys!

I'm working on him more tonight and I'll give you an update.

That's if I don't fall asleep at my desk first, very tired.

scientistprogress25jan9.png

New height with legs?

I like the new height, gives him a pudgy feel. The fat bastard.

Speaking of bastards:

154dcoy.jpg

(mirror for Wesley if necessary)

I'm not sure why each section looks different, they all have the same fur attribute. I'm iffy about it. Oh and the tip of the foot will be done but figured it needs to be shorter. And obviously other legs and face. Not sure why the model won't fur so I'm replacing everything with spheres.

I probably shouldn't be too picky with this but damn it I'm a perfectionist.

More texturing woes.

Went back to my cage (O_o). Made a texture in photoshop from real sawdust. Extruded the bottom face a bit and applied a texture which was connected to the PSD. That didn't work. So I tried a jpg. Didn't work. So I tried just making a separate plane and applying. That didn't work. In the hypershader section the texture shows up as it should, but when I apply it to something it becomes black. Any ideas? Could the file be too big? (as weird as that sounds computers can be weird)

Edited by Ashley

I'm liking the cat!

I'm not sure what the fur problem is, but it could be to do with the scale of the spheres.

I presume you just got your spheres from the body and scales them down?

Try grabbing a body one and then scaling it up, probably will be bigger.

If it is it's because in Max and Maya, and I presume other 3D programs, scaling changes the visual scale of the object but retains a lot of its original size data.

You'd just need to recreate a sphere the size you want.

As for the texture problem...

Hum...

Is it still black when rendered?

Thanks and yup. When it...build mode (lets call it that) it looks untextured. When rendered its black as the night. I may just add it in photoshop actually...less faff.

Right. I've been a busy body. Here's what I modelled last week:

v2qnsz.jpg

And after a burst of inspiration (and PG's help provided awesome references), I decided to model this on Monday, which I have just finished.

k2llc4.jpg

Ooooh, they're very nice!

I've never been a big fan of weapon modelling, dunno why.

But I do really like the second one, has a kind of fantasy magical look to it.

I've finally got round to finishing off modelling my character for my animation class.

And made the rig too.

Will post pictures as soon as they reeeeennnder.

That's Bayonetta's gun ;p I decided to model it after Platinum Games posted some awesome references of the gun on their blog.

It's not a retarded question, I still don't know how to properly do it.

There's a few ways.

One way, which I used to know, was setting the environment colour, and making a material for the floor plane that has opposite values for when light is shone on it, but I've forgotten that way.

So the way I do it now is to just use a curved floor plane, like:

seemlessbackground.jpg

To get a nice curve I just create a sphere, delete all the polys apart from that part of the curve you see, then extrude the edges so it's straight, and then extrude the bottom edge to made the floor.

Just then make them all the same smoothing group.

And Bob's your uncle!

Hmm I can't see it making a difference (duplicating the spheres) because the fur isn't attached, if I duplicate I need to reapply the fur. And I'm still making it in the same way (Creative Polygon Primitive > Sphere) and adding the same fur to it. Will try tomorrow though.

Rick is coming on well :)

But I'm not sure how Maya works out the length and size of fur, etc.

Although you might type in values, they may be scaled and dependent on the objects supposed size (in your world).

And in Max if you simply scale an object that is 10cm by 10cm down really small, it still retains a lot of world data that a 10cm by 10cm object does.

A long shot... but all I can think of.

I'll try messing around with the clumping, frequency etc when I get time (time gentlemen please?) but it just seems strange that the body looks like a rug, the tail a toiletbrush and the leg...a mess. Cheers for the advice though :)

(p.s., not everyone here hates you :p)

Right. I've been a busy body. Here's what I modelled last week:

v2qnsz.jpg

And after a burst of inspiration (and PG's help provided awesome references), I decided to model this on Monday, which I have just finished.

k2llc4.jpg

Uv mapping? :shakehead

Sign in to follow this