NEurope
Nick

What The Hell?? Nintendo Wii!!??

A lot of everyday people, its only the "hardcore" who shop online. Oh and impatient people shop instore too. Looking at Amazon theres only a £7 difference between the PS2 in store and online, and £2 on the DS. I'd say Amazon are ripping you off considering they don't have as big outgoings (electric, rent, water, employees etc).

Since when is it hardcore to save money??? I'd have thought it was more 'hardcore' to spend more for an item be it £2 or £100!!

I gues we're never going to agree on whether the name is good/bad, but I think we can all agree on the following: Nintendo could have thought of a much better name.

Now let that be the end of it (although something tells me it won't be).

I no longer worry about the name, because i just realised that i'l just call it my nintendo.

All i worry is the image portayed onto people who hear it advertised by speaking, because if it was written down its alrite. But as soon as you pronounce it, the image gets created.

i'l just call it my nintendo.

But unfortunately, I get the impression they're trying to get rid of the 'Nintendo' brand, and just market it as 'Wii'. A bit like how it's 'iPod' and not 'Apple iPod' etc.

i do like the name...

but the fact is any time you have to explain a brand it's a bad brand. You don;t have to tell anyone anywhere what 'playstation' means even if you had never heard of it you could pretty much guess.

the first thing nintendos press release does is explain the concept of the brand... thats bad because the brand should be able to communicate what it is and does all by itself - thats the point of having a brand in the first place.

however... i still quite like it.

Yaeh like mercedes explains itself... or the RH5522 kitchen-mixer explains itself...or even an xbox explains itself....yeah....::shrug:

I haven't read all the posts in this thread.

But I feel the Nintendo 'Wii' is merely a name to cause controversy more than anything else, it's created a hell of a lot of media and press attention for Nintendo worldwide (and before E3) - so in some respects, its a good move by Nintendo.

However, if they keep it as the name of the console, they have pretty much cable-tied their own testicles.

But unfortunately, I get the impression they're trying to get rid of the 'Nintendo' brand, and just market it as 'Wii'. A bit like how it's 'iPod' and not 'Apple iPod' etc.

Yeh i got that hint too, every one calls every nintendo system a 'nintendo', and no confusion other what console they are actually talking about. Its fricken weird.

But Wii is alright on its own, Nintendo Wii is what make's it sound immature. Wii as in 'we' on its own is a very unique name, no matter how much i hate it i will admit that.

Nintendo's Home Console Names for the past 20yrs

1 * Nintendo Entertainment System {NES}

2 * Super Nintendo Entertainment System {SNES}

3 * Nintendo64 {N64}

4 * Nintendo GameCube {NGC}

5 * Wii

So for the first time in over 20 yrs the name Nintendo will not be in the title name as their next gen console will only have the name of Wii

You will still have the Nintendo Logo on the box art but not as in the title name

I think I would have preferred if the Wii didnt have a name, instead only had a logo to symbolise it, that way it could be referred to as "the new Nintendo"

That way it could please everyone, people could still call it the revolution, or the Nintendo Wii.

The whole "refer Wii as a picture instead of a word" made me think about it...

I think it would be pretty awesome and universal that way.

I say to everyone out there don't make this stop you from buying Wii because of it's name as it's going to have some of the best games on any console & we are still geting brand new IP Games & best of all we get to play just about all the old NES, SNES, N64 & Sega/Nec games :P so if you don't buy Wii because of it's name then you are all just stupid. As it's all about the games not what the name of the console is called :P

either way, when i first heard of 'wii' i thought sum1 mispelt wifi,but then to my horror comes this.suicide. complete and utter suicide. nice console tho, wouldnt mind getting it. but I'm just gonna keep calling it the revolution because ,frankly, it doesnt sound gd anywhere but japan or china.

Personally I think they should have called it Vii. Instead of 'we' it'd represent 'vie', or life in French. The most important reason is that the V owns the W on this one however.

Personally I think they should have called it Vii. Instead of 'we' it'd represent 'vie', or life in French. The most important reason is that the V owns the W on this one however.

I think the 'V' is the problem with Revolution. Japanese people cannot say the English 'Vee' sound. It if not in their speech at all. Hence names like David become 'Da-bid'. So it's a big no-no to start with!!

That's a good point. I think for the western market, the W is a very bad letter though.

That's a good point. I think for the western market, the W is a very bad letter though.

Why, pray tell?

For this:

The Wee = The Pee

"Wheeeeeeee"

And the sound of the 'W' sounds generally weak.

30 pages now,that's alot.Nintendo has createda lot of attention now so everyone will be looking a them.Who cares what the names called now.

I was wondering why people are making a problem of 'wee', 'pee ass pee' is maybe even worse.

Wont the Germans say Vee though?!?...I thought the name was supposed to be pronouncable everywhere :heh:

& @ Phube;

-'casual gamers' go to GAME, Woolworths or Virgin and pay £40 for Fifa every year to play for 1/2 hour on a Sunday.

-The more hardcore (I feel more comfy saying that now that Sky One games thing is dead) goes onto Amazon/Play/Gameplay and orders from a range of games, each around £30-£35.

Wont the Germans say Vee though?!?...I

& @ Phube;

-'casual gamers' go to GAME, Woolworths or Virgin and pay £40 for Fifa every year to play for 1/2 hour on a Sunday.

-The more hardcore (I feel more comfy saying that now that Sky One games thing is dead) goes onto Amazon/Play/Gameplay and orders from a range of games, each around £30-£35.

Hey I'm just a poor gamer, who will buy the thing he wants for the cheapest price he can find it!!

I'm beginning to get really excited about what Nintendo can do with the new name. There are so many advertising slogans in my head at the moment, and the potential is definitely there.

Someone said earlier about Nintendo just calling the name "Wii" and not "Nintendo Wii". This may be quite a good move.

The Nintendo name carries a lot of stigma with it. For example, in the past (and present for that matter), Nintendo have been referred to as a kiddy console maker and have been labelled with a childish image. If they take the name away, it could be seen as wiping the slate clean.

When i was thinking about the name earlier today, i could image seeing an advert for the console and its games with the name "Wii" popping up at the end. Just Wii. Like a brand name. I would liken it to advertisements such as those by IBM.

It's certainly not all doom and gloom.