NEurope
Nintendork

Photography.

Now that the bride has added these to her FaceBook, I feel like I can post these here. My favourites from the wedding I shot:

46704_1585950369968_1272045869_1598456_2558251_n.jpg

46704_1585950529972_1272045869_1598460_8117378_n.jpg

I noticed those on Facebook earlier, the previews for them are not flattering towards you at all. Makes you look like a terrible photographer.

FaceBook is fucking retarded for photos. The previews cut off most of the image, regardless of orientation. Cutting portrait shots to fit landscape I can understand, but it even cuts the landscape ones. The landscape ones I took were the same ratio that comes off the camera and is a fairly standard ratio. Why FaceBook uses a retarded ratio is beyond me.

Even the full size images are shit as well. They make them so fucking grainy. The ones above aren't too bad because b+w images don't show grain as much, but the colour ones are a fucking disgrace.

Yes I've started to find this with some of my 3d work, it looks stunning until I put it on facebook, which is a shame as you're a really good photography goafer.

Ah for shame as I am not. I have one of these:

0462_fujifilm_finepix_s1500.jpg

I can't for the life of me figure out the different bits in manual. On sp I've used it mostly as it has different options and seems to give me the best pictures when I actually try to take good shots, bleh.

I'm also sorely tempted to get myself one of these:

fisheye2cam0008_1_3.jpg

But at the moment £60 is a bit of a stretch.

TBF facebook's slightly improved, at least they've bumped up the resolution lately, even if they are sickeningly grainy.

What irritates me is getting photos printed at Boots... anything I've done to the colours - cranked down saturation / contrast / whatever always gets autocorrected or changed by the staff or something. Do not want!

I'm also sorely tempted to get myself one of these:

fisheye2cam0008_1_3.jpg

But at the moment £60 is a bit of a stretch.

I keep trying to get my friends to buy these cameras so I don't have to :P Succeeded with one, but apparently the film is quite pricey / cost alot to get photos developed.. still cool as though. Always get jealous when people upload photos from them onto faceyb

Recent shots

46843_10150253069640691_669125690_14834927_6470269_n.jpg

46971_10150253069885691_669125690_14834974_2623903_n.jpg

46971_10150253069685691_669125690_14834935_3730708_n.jpg

58689_10150253069540691_669125690_14834907_7496719_n.jpg

46971_10150253069665691_669125690_14834931_8379525_n.jpg

Definitely, my friend now has a fisheye lense for her nixon I believe, which is beyond immense.

I'm also looking at palaroid cameras, which is crazy as they are so expensive!

Definitely, my friend now has a fisheye lense for her nixon I believe, which is beyond immense.

I'm also looking at palaroid cameras, which is crazy as they are so expensive!

I was looking at a fisheye lens for my camera, but it's about £700. I got a fisheye filter in the end, which was about £30 and does pretty much exactly the same thing (quality is probably better on the actual lens, but I doubt it's £600 better!).

I don't really use fisheye anymore, the novelty kind of wore off.

I can't for the life of me figure out the different bits in manual. On sp I've used it mostly as it has different options and seems to give me the best pictures when I actually try to take good shots, bleh.

Shutter Speed: Fast = capture action better. Slow = blur.

F Stop: Low = Shallow depth of field, allows quicker shutter speeds. High = Deep depth of field, requires longer shutter speeds.

ISO: Low = Less sensitive, better image quality. High = More sensitive, more image noise.

F Stop can also be called aperture, but they are inverted (IE a small F Stop is actually a large aparture and vice versa).

In manual, all you have to do is balance all the settings. For example, if you want to shoot an action shot, you'll need a fast shutter speed. To get a fast shutter speed, you'll either have to go for a low F Stop (wide aperture to let more light in), which will sacrifice depth of field (which can actually look pretty good), or raise the ISO, which will make the image grainy. If lighting is low, you may have to do both.

All I normally do is figure out which of the 3 settings is most important for the picture I want to take, then adjust the other 2 to match it. I normally keep the ISO as low as possible and balance the other 2. If I can't balance the other 2, then I'll up the ISO.

You should have a light meter somewhere on the camera, which will tell you if you've got the balance right. It's just a bar with an indicator somewhere along it. You want to get it in the middle.

Hopefully that makes sense. I'm not great at explaining things.

Edited by Goafer
Automerged Doublepost

Thanks Goafer, I'll try and give it a go again today.

I think more than anything I just want a collection of pretty cameras..

Some more from Bude:

P9267999.jpg

P9267990.jpg

P9257823.jpg

P9257801_2_3_tonemapped.jpg

P9257799.jpg

Welcome to Sainsburi.....Rapture.

P9257783.jpg

P9257737.jpg

P9257728.jpg

Edited by Goafer

I love the butterfly! Lovely texture on the background on that one. That's something I'd buy on print (if I had the money :p). Not a fan of your HDR enhanced sunset though ;).

I love the butterfly! Lovely texture on the background on that one. That's something I'd buy on print (if I had the money :p). Not a fan of your HDR enhanced sunset though ;).

The HDR sunset wasn't one of my favourites either. Just thought I'd post it for varieties sake. I think I've pretty much given up on HDR now. I prefer the results I get with normal levels adjustments.

Although I don't mind Black and White HDR pictures.

Oh yeah, I like the rolling wave too. And I have to admit, the HDR effect in combination with the B&W looks good on your boat picture above, resulting in a surreal image I acually like. But I'd love to compare that one to a colour HDR version and a non-HDR version.

Tried my hand at a faux cross processed photo:

work.5995590.1.flat,800x800,070,f.jpg

Think I need a better subject and fanny around with the curves a bit more.

Also, I'm aware the photo is somewhat ruined by dog anus.

Tried my hand at a faux cross processed photo:

[..]

Also, I'm aware the photo is somewhat ruined by dog anus.

Yeah, so I just noticed this comment. I wish you hadn't brought it up ;).

This photo is just stunning.

a39_25267651.jpg

Five-year-old Zachary is consoled by his father David Powell during funeral services for Staff Sgt. Joshua D. Powell in Springfield, Illinois on Sept. 28, 2010. Powell, 25, of Pleasant Plains died in a helicopter crash Sept. 21 during combat operations in Zabul province, Afghanistan. He was assigned to the U.S. Army's 101st Airborne Division at Fort Campbell, Kentucky. Joshua D. Powell was the son of David Powell and Zachary's older brother. (AP Photo/Seth Perlman)

Welcome to Sainsburi.....Rapture.

P9257783.jpg

Niiice.

Also, I don't get the Goafer Galaxy one. It's damn cool, but wutufuh? Reminds of of someting BBC 1 would use between programmes.

Also, I don't get the Goafer Galaxy one. It's damn cool, but wutufuh? Reminds of of someting BBC 1 would use between programmes.

It's a Stereographic Panorama. Basically a 360 panorama that has been bent into a circle. I don't do them often, only when I'm somewhere rather nice. Want to do a night time one in a town/city at some point.

This is a very good article on how to do them in case anyone is interested.

RE: The picture Daft posted: It's a great picture, but I don't think I could take it myself (unless permission/instruction was given beforehand by the family). Taking photos at funerals, especially moments like that, just feels wrong. If I had to take pictures like that, I wouldn't want my name associated with them so that I couldn't get any benefits (reputation, portfolio etc) from them.

Edited by Goafer

I think sometimes photography like that is a good reminder, rather than taking pictures of someone's pain for art. I probably wouldn't want my name attached either.

It is a beautiful photo, but so sad to look at. I cannot look at it for very long.

I don't think I'd be comfortable taking a photo like that simply from the perspective that I wouldn't want to disturb them and I'm not anywhere near experienced enough to be confident that I wouldn't. Yes, it's a private moment but I doubt the photographer hounded them and if it were done with the respect and sensitivity the situation required then I see no problem. The photo is beautiful because it's real and as long getting that shot doesn't compromise the necessary civility then I'm all for it.

It's amazingly tragic. Not that I've been in a situation like that but, having given it some thought, if I was the one being photographed I really don't think I would have a problem. Who knows, though.

Goafer!

How on earth do you make your pictures look so stylized and almost paint-like? They all look amazing.

I've always had an interest in photography so I would love to be able to take some pictures like yours.

I just up the contrast (using levels (Ctrl+L in Photoshop), not the Brightness/Contrast tool) and saturation (Ctrl+U) normally. Sometimes I'll adjust the colour balance (Ctrl+B) to make stuff warmer/cooler, but not often.

The one of the waves with the pinky sky was edited a lot to get it to even show up, which is why it looks the way it does. This was how it looked from the camera.

If there's any particular photos you want to know about, just let me know and I'll explain how I did them!

Edited by Goafer