NEurope
RATM_4_EVA

Madden for Revolution

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6148455.html

For the first time in years, development on a major console version of EA's marquee franchise football series is being taken outside the doors of the company's Orlando, Florida-based EA Tiburon studio. The game is instead being handled north of the border, by a special Revolution-focused development group within EA's Burnaby, British Columbia studio.

Given that EA has dedicated a specific group to Revolution development, it stands to reason that the game will take advantage of the console's unique capabilities. While many details will have to wait until E3 kicks off, GameSpot was given an advanced scouting report which said that the gameplay will make extensive use of the Revolution controller's motion-sensing capabilities.

Players will hike the ball by mimicking a quarterback receiving the ball from the center, and then pass it to a receiver by making a throwing gesture with the free-hand controller. The faster the passing motion, the more of a bullet pass it becomes (in previous Madden editions, bullet passes were made by holding the passing button down longer).

Kicking the ball will be accomplished by sweeping the controller up as if it were a kicker's leg striking the ball. A fast, level swing will make for a hard, straight kick.

The Revolution controller will also come into play when running the ball, as jerking the controller left or right will make the ball-carrier juke to either side, while shoving it straight ahead will make him stiff-arm the opposition.

JS: I think Madden Revolution is unique and would complement any version of Madden as well as stand on its own. What's neat about it is we've taken a different approach with the Revolution than we have in the past. We've created a separate group that we have in Canada here that's doing Madden and some other titles and they're just focused on Revolution. Their whole mantra is to create Revolution-specific versions of these games that are created just for the Revolution. So Madden Revolution will be very different from any other version of Madden you play. It'll be tailored just for the Revolution, which means we're spending a majority of our time making the control, which is very unique and different...specific for that machine.

Good to hear EA have taken the Revolution specific studio approach instead of taking the route I expected them to (porting over current gen games and throwing in controller features as an afterthought). I can't say I have a personal interest in Madden but the control scheme definitely sounds interesting and it really seems like the game has been built around the system instead of lazily ported over. Hopefully this also means it wont look like a PS2 game.

That´s fine because in a few months this team will be rev-control-experts and they will do good/not-lazy ports of non-rev-specific-games...

which means we're spending a majority of our time making the control, which is very unique and different...specific for that machine.

well im at least glad the ports won't be just ports, hopfully battlefield is on the list to be ported over.

This is a very different approach from the other interview. That guy sucked balls.

I haven't played a Madden game since the SNES but I'm quite tempted by this. Can you imagine how hectic playing multiplayer would get. You will basically be shoving each other. And after a couple of drinks its gonna get pretty sick!

Nice to hear! Although i won't be buying it, it's superb for the Revolution launch in USA as they love Madden over there, could well be a top seller!

I think Nintendo are onto a winner!

This is great news. Lets hope EA makes a specific group for all Revolution development. This way we won't get crappy ports. As I see it making games for revolution will pay off.

Gameprofit-gamecost= More money than normal.

Sounds good, but i hope that they attempt to make more use of the controller in licenses other than Madden.

well lets take fifa for example, what can they do with that?

i wouldnt wanna play pro using the fhc

good news indeed perhaps an exclusive burnout for the rev? that would be brilliant.

The best news is that EA actually has team that makes only Revolution games. It doesn´t quarantee awesome games (like Team Fusion has shown) but it´s good to see EA is somewhat serious about Revolution. I don´t really care about their games but every possible support is good for Ninty´s shiny little machine.

It would be strange to see a Madden game selling the most on a Nintendo console. Not likely to happen with the first version, but if the control is accurate and intuitive, word of mouth could sell future versions like hotcakes.

It would be strange to see a Madden game selling the most on a Nintendo console. Not likely to happen with the first version, but if the control is accurate and intuitive, word of mouth could sell future versions like hotcakes.

too true :bowdown:

Nice to hear about the exclusive studio - this is a way I think we'll see more major publishers use. I couldn't care less about Madden though, but hey I'm European.

well lets take fifa for example, what can they do with that?

i wouldnt wanna play pro using the fhc

Don't think about it as making the controller work with games, think of it as rebuilding games around the controller. That's what they're going to do to get franchises working well with it.

Great new's about the exclusive studio.Though I probaly won't buy madden but some of my friend's will.

quote from interview :

"They're maximizing the power of the machine: the control, the Wi-Fi. What makes the Revolution unique is what our focus is for our Revolution group and the titles they're working on."

Online? are we gonna see most xbox live games get nintendo 'live' this gen?

One thing that came up in the "extended" interview over at IGN is that the accelerometer in the nunchuck attachment would be used for juking while the Wiimote motion could be used for stiff-arming. It is great that they confirmed motion sensing capabilities in the nunchuck unit.

This was the last thing I expected from EA. Maybe they can redeem themselves next generation, for Revolution owners anyway. Just hope the games are not going to fall into the 'unique but suck' category, like quite a few DS games have.

Madden 2007 (not for Wii) but probably close to what we can expect. The EA guy did it say it would look stunning on Wii too

maddennfl07firstlook2006050502.jpg