NEurope
Retro_Link

Tony Hawks Downhill Jam: Rev EXCLUSIVE!!

http://www.cubed3.com/news/4971

When it was announced that the next version of the Tony Hawk's franchise would be called 'Downhill Jam' and was coming to the Nintendo Revolution, many just presumed it was a multi-format release. However, Nintendo Power's April edition has confirmed that Activision is actually bringing the game exclusively to the Nintendo DS and Revolution. The home console version of the game is set to work using the functionality of the Revolution's unique controller. Therefore, gamers will be able to use the motion sensors to move around, tilting and turning at race along without the need to press ANY buttons! However, to perform combination moves the buttons will eventually become a necessity.

Developed by Toys for Bob, Downhill Jam will feature a four-player split-screen mode, eight new racers, eight brand new levels based on real locations and a boost meter that is activated by actually pushing the controller forward. Activision is once more on-board with Nintendo, after releasing a wonderful port of Tony Hawks 2 on the GBA at launch and bringing one of the first Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection compatible games to the Nintendo DS...and now it appears to be providing exclusive content once more. With any luck this should definitely hit during the launch window period, although this will likely be confirmed one way or the other at E3 in May.

Awesome news!! sounds like a fantastic EXCLUSIVE game from Activision!!

Yes!!! I love the Tony Hawk games. I will almost definitely be getting this.

Maybe ollying and grinding are done with motions of the controller too. Sweet indeed!

April issue of the mag you say?

Just a bit of scepticism! haha

Great :yay: Thers still some hardcore THPS fans outthere ;) Now they have to buy a revolution. If the game is good :p

great... spongebob and tony hawks. and tony hawks hasn't even been made by neversoft who usually make it.

epoch-making system sellers all round today eh?

(caution: post may contain sarcasm)

You know those finder boards things? It's gonna be like playing with one of those but with the FHC... hehe....

Superb! Love Tony Hawk games and this will be much more innovative!

Exclusive doesn't mean better than the PS3 or 360 version.

It means nothing to me.. I'm guessing this game is gonna suck balls.

Exclusive doesn't mean better than the PS3 or 360 version.

It means nothing to me.. I'm guessing this game is gonna suck balls.

:indeed:

I love a good laugh.

I picked up Tony Hawks American Sk8land for the DS, and i thoroughly enjoyed it. Also great use of the DS's capabilities, as well as a damn good game. If this game turns out to be better, then we could be in for a real treat here.

I've played 1-4, I probably wouldn't buy it even if it was a straight port of whatever classic Tony Hawks they're doing for the PS3/xbox.

My guess is they want to take the 'classic' Tony Hawks and they want to engineer an entire city, huge environments of skateable stuff like in GTA.

I assume the Revolution can't handle their aspirations, so they're going to do something different for the Revolution and make it exclusive and use the controller.

I am bored of the series in general.. Tony is milking it a little now and he said in an interview he'd stop after the 5th game because it was getting a bit repetitive.

I'm more interested in SSX really.. that's my kinda game.

Haha no it doesn't mean it's better, but it mean's good support.They won't give a damn if you don't care when it will mean something for other people.

I know a lot of people who like Tony Hawk games, they keep buying them because it doesn't change.. they just like to be able to skate.

That's why the series has been such a success.. because it just works on so many levels- the control scheme, it's fresh and simple. The soundtrack, branding and endorsement- everything was great about it.

I think changing the formula in such a drastic way could be fatal for the series.. I'm assuming it's going to beabout downhill skateboarding

Also another side note, when Tony Hawks 3 came out it was launched on the PS2 and PS1, the PS2 version had similar levels but the last level was a bonus for people.

The PS2 version bonus was a huge level on a ship, it was wicked

The PS1 version bonus was a downhill skateboard level, because the hardware couldn't handle the ship.

I've played 1-4, I probably wouldn't buy it even if it was a straight port of whatever classic Tony Hawks they're doing for the PS3/xbox.

My guess is they want to take the 'classic' Tony Hawks and they want to engineer an entire city, huge environments of skateable stuff like in GTA.

I assume the Revolution can't handle their aspirations, so they're going to do something different for the Revolution and make it exclusive and use the controller.

I am bored of the series in general.. Tony is milking it a little now and he said in an interview he'd stop after the 5th game because it was getting a bit repetitive.

I'm more interested in SSX really.. that's my kinda game.

Have you played American Sk8land on the DS?

Nah, I wouldn't want to play it on the DS, graphics looks pretty kack in the adverts.

Difference is the DS follows the similar control scheme of the PS1/2.

I dunno it Revolution's controller will be adopted by the mass market who are so used to playing Tony Hawks that way. If they do use it.

It should be noted that in America more kids skate than play Baseball- skaters are a driving force for the sales of these games.

I know some people who don't skate enjoy them but there are a hell of a lot of skaters out there.

I really consider the control scheme to be one of the pioneering features of the game.. and definitely a reason why it is still popular..

Holy crap :shock::shock::shock:

That's the game I least expected to go exclusive...

What's happened to Activision?

Very good news, this could be the first Tony Hawks game I bought in years. I actually never really liked all the button combinations and it got more and more complicated with every incarnation (played 1,2,3) but controlling it solely with the FHC is kind of tempting.

Holy crap :shock::shock::shock:

That's the game I least expected to go exclusive...

What's happened to Activision?

They had a launch game for the GBA, an exclusive DS title, beeing one of the first to use Wi-FI, supported the Gamecube with every TH release.

Whats the shock?

Really an exclusive, NO PORTS OF THIS GAME WHATSOEVER?

I hope not, I want this game to be exclusive, the Tony Hawk games look quite good, but haven't purchased because I don't like purchasing multi platform games. The only one I have is Tiger Woods PGA Tour, due to the Game Face create a character, customisation that is still isn't surpassed by another game, if there is, let me know, i'm a big fan of customisation of characters, it puts Sims 2 to shame...

The Ds version was really well made and was a lot better than expected. I think this game has alot of potential. Lets hope they don't make us throw the FHC around.

I doubt revo can't handle a tony hawk 360/ps3 ports, tony hawks never push hardware by the slightest. But the series really needs a fresh start, things are starting to get boring.