NEurope
Retro_Link

Tony Hawks Downhill Jam: Rev EXCLUSIVE!!

And don't pretend you know it all, because you don't.

Statements like these should be backed up with hard evidence really.

For example:

you don't- because i said so.

http://uk.revolution.ign.com/articles/705/705453p1.html

IGN have had an interview with the creators.

-They want it to be a new franchise, will be making sequels

-Hold the controller like the NES controller, d-pad under your thumb. D-pad for trick variations, a+b for jumps etc, the button under the controller for grabs

-Tilt the controller to turn

I like the concept art, is that guy skating down the great wall of china?

But more importantly. i see Tranzor Z in the background of the interview. Make that into a videogame, creepy Activision guy!

Hahahahahaha, yeah it is the great wall of China, I don't think this series will be succesful enough for them to warrant a sequel.

What baffles me is, what the hell is Activision doing? Are they taking a defensive stance to their first Wii title by pumping out a cheap game or are they risking money by spending more on a new team to create a new game engine etc..?

Tony Hawks classic just wouldn't have worked on the systems new controller that's for sure.. I just can't see this being a success.

There's barely anything to do with skateboarding.

Toys for Bob? Is this their first game or what?

I'd say it's a watered down carbon copy of SSX and Jet Set Radio.. both in their own admirable games, but I won't be buying this.

As a skater it doesn't appeal to me in the slightest, the fact that at the end he has to say "we will be making franchises.."

You can hear in his voice that it's quivering a little perhaps with uncertaintly.

Call me shallow but I liked the authenticity of the original Tony Hawks, the brand endorsements, the soundtrack.. from the concept art the only branding I saw was Tony Hawks shoe company logo and the Birdhouse logo- both Tony Hawks brands.

The control scheme sounds do-able, but not natural. I'd say it's going to be a typical launch title.

Skaters

Tony Hawk

Bob Burnquist

Steve Caballero

Kareem Campbell

Rune Glifberg

Eric Koston

Bucky Lasek

Rodney Mullen

Chad Muska

Andrew Reynolds

Geoff Rowley

Elissa Steamer

Jamie Thomas

[edit]

Secret Skaters

Officer Dick

Private Carrera

Spider-Man

80's Tony Hawk

[edit]

Levels

Hangar, Mullet Falls, Montana

School, Southern California

Marseille, France*

New York, New York

Venice Beach, California

Skatestreet (Ventura, California)*

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Bullring, Mexico

Hidden Levels

Skate Heaven

Hoffman Bike Headquarters (N64 only)

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater levels (Xbox only)

Hawaii Chopper Drop

Downhill Jam: Phoenix, AZ (From Tony Hawk's Pro Skater)

Skate Park, Chicago (From Tony Hawk's Pro Skater)

Warehouse: Woodland Hills, CA (From Tony Hawk's Pro Skater)

Soundtrack

Papa Roach-"Blood Brothers"

Anthrax f/ Public Enemy-"Bring the Noise"

Rage Against the Machine-"Guerilla Radio"

Naughty by Nature-"Pin the Tail on the Donkey"

Bad Religion-"You"

Powerman 5000 - "When Worlds Collide"

Millencolin - "No Cigar"

The High and Mighty f/ Mos Def - "B-Boy Document '99"

Dub Pistols - "Cyclone"

Lagwagon - "May 16th"

Styles of Beyond - "Subculture"

Consumed- "Heavy Metal Winner"

Fu Manchu - "Evil Eye"

Alley Life f/ Black Planet - "Out With the Old"

Swingin' Utters - "Five Lessons Learned"

All reasons why this game rocked and Downhill Jam will not.. For a start the spokesperson in the IGN video expressed little to no expertise with regard to skateboarding.

I think the game is a product of a series of suits sitting in an office thinking about how they can make the most money from this console with the smallest investment risk possible.

I could be wrong but I don't think this series will be to skateboarding what SSX did for the snowboard genre.

Clearly all pro-Nintendo marketing has worked on you too. You see, the CPU is not as powerful as Microsoft seems to suggest, but it's still a beast when programmed carefully. It easily outperforms any Pentium D or Athlon 64 when programmers get it working alright - a PowerPC does generally better at games anyway because of supreme floating point performance. The CPU doesn't make the graphics however, the GPU does. The Xbox 360 has an incredibly powerful graphics processor, far, far beyond the reach of the Wii.

And please learn to type. And don't pretend you know it all, because you don't.

the real-world performance of the Xenon CPU is about twice that of the 733MHz processor in the first Xbox.
A 1 MB L2 cache like in Xbox360 may only have a miss rate of around 5%, but that 5% can translate to an average CPI cost of some 26 cycles. In layman’s terms... that’s extremely bad. It means that if you’re not careful, single-threaded performance on PS3 or Xenon could be outpaced by that of a Dreamcast.
Source: http://psinext.e-mpire.com/index.php?categoryid=4&m_articles_articleid=153

get over it... it's not "pro-nintendo" marketing since they never went that way of "we're the most powerful console"... Microsoft did; saying Xbox was 3 times more powerful than anything in the market... also they never explained how a Geforce 3 with just one extra shader had 50 million RAW polygons more in performance (which were clearly fake).

Also that's taken from a Playstation site, with a article from anandtech so you can't call them biased towards Nintendo... infact the article is not that good for PS3 either... those CPU's have weak general purpose performance... Wii can match that.

They are powerful in fillrate, but... in Xenon's case... it's only like... 20% better than a Pentium 4 at the same speed (3,2 GHz) who outputs something like 3,6 Gigaflops... now... PS2 Emotion engine outputs 6,2 Gigaflops ;) for Gflops you have the GPU (which PS2 lacks). Anyway there's no way it eats AMD64's for breakfast, you have some advantage for the multithread but not all games will use it... infact none uses it yet, as it takes a lot of time to implement. there's dual cores on the market already and those, should give Xenon a run for it's money.

As for the diference in GPU's you simply don't know... sure it won't be as good on paper, but one will work at 480p and the other won't work under 720p...

I hope they make a normal TH, don't why not, but it's good to see them taking this in a new direction, because Tony Hawk needs it. ANd besides, this is just like SSX, but with skates.

I don't think this series will be succesful enough for them to warrant a sequel.

Are they taking a defensive stance to their first Wii title by pumping out a cheap game ..?

Tony Hawks classic just wouldn't have worked on the systems new controller that's for sure.. I just can't see this being a success.

There's barely anything to do with skateboarding.

I'd say it's a watered down carbon copy of SSX and Jet Set Radio

Mate mate mate, are you real? You make these statments, like they're facts! Why do you think you know everything? Practice what you preach

"Statements like these should be backed up with hard evidence really."

Skaters

Tony Hawk

Bob Burnquist

Steve Caballero

Kareem Campbell

Rune Glifberg

Eric Koston

Bucky Lasek

Rodney Mullen

Chad Muska

Andrew Reynolds

Geoff Rowley

Elissa Steamer

Jamie Thomas

Soundtrack

Papa Roach-"Blood Brothers"

Anthrax f/ Public Enemy-"Bring the Noise"

Rage Against the Machine-"Guerilla Radio"

Naughty by Nature-"Pin the Tail on the Donkey"

Bad Religion-"You"

Powerman 5000 - "When Worlds Collide"

Millencolin - "No Cigar"

The High and Mighty f/ Mos Def - "B-Boy Document '99"

Dub Pistols - "Cyclone"

Lagwagon - "May 16th"

Styles of Beyond - "Subculture"

Consumed- "Heavy Metal Winner"

Fu Manchu - "Evil Eye"

Alley Life f/ Black Planet - "Out With the Old"

Swingin' Utters - "Five Lessons Learned"

All reasons why this game rocked and Downhill Jam will not..

Finally! My lifelong dream of skating as Elissa Steamer against a Naughty by Nature soundtrack will come to fruition

Dazzybee, first of all that quote was taking the piss- statements like these should be based on hard evidence.. then the next line was "eg because I said so" you must be American, it's okay they don't get sarcasm.

My post opened with "I don't think" which indicates opinion.

The next bit was a rhetorical question, that also isn't me stating a fact.

The next bit is fact, and the video even admitted that- Tony Hawks is a button intensive game and the Wii FHC doesn't have that.

The last bit is opinion "I'd say" I feel the game has been influenced by the games Jet Set Radio and SSX from the concept art.

So.. erm, yeah. Don't call me mate.

Nintendork why do you have to act like a pr!ck? You are so arrogant and patronising, its no surprise that more and more comments are made against you saying similar things.

As for your 'comebacks', well they are insightful as your opionions, How can you 'think' the series won't be succesful enough to warrant a sequel? Why are they pumping out a cheap game? How is a game were you ride a skateboard and we know nothing about be 'barely about skateboarding'? How is it a watered down copy of SSX or Jet Set Radio? Stop making these wild statements with no intelligent reasoning - it makes you look bad!! Overly negative, like you know everything, its just beginnining to grate to be honest.

@ Pedro: Not to wander of in yet another techie discussion, but that article really focuses on the bad points of the consoles. I'll hand it to you they really are nowhere near as powerful as some claims by MS and Sony, but they are more powerful than portrayed in that article. The article was meant to tone down the marketing BS, but really there's a lot more to the consoles than presented there.

On-topic: It's a shame about this being half a racer, but like Nintendork said - Tony Hawk needs buttons.

SO what about the 'shell'? Couldnt they have just used that for the extra buttons? I just think they wanted to do something new with the franchise and I appluad them for that.

It has nothing authentic to do with skateboarding because anyone who has tried downhill skateboarding (myself included) knows that using a short board is impossible at high speeds because you get speed wobble. Sure if you take it as literally about skateboarding then yes, it is based on a skateboard.

You have to use professional equipment.

image020b.jpg

140_4061.JPG

There is no skill or style in downhill skateboarding, it is entirely about speed. and watered down copies of SSX and Jet Set Radio isn't such a bad thing- both of those games on their own stand up as modern classics.

Watered down means drawing influences but adding nothing original.

SSX took snowboarding, then added speed boosts and crazy tricks, Jet Set Radio took skating and added grafiti.

What does downhill jam offer? nothing pioneering. If they want to build a series on that they're gonna have to work hard.

"Why are they pumping out a cheap game?" you didn't even read my post, it's just an unfounded attack which I won't honour with a response.

What baffles me is, what the hell is Activision doing? Are they taking a defensive stance to their first Wii title by pumping out a cheap game or are they risking money by spending more on a new team to create a new game engine etc..?

What I did hear is create a discussion point as to what Activision is trying to do here.. I am not sure, which I why I proposed 2 options.

Cheap game?

or is it more of a risk they are taking investing in a new series on a new system with new engine etc..?

Again this was a question to the readers of the thread, I want to know their thoughts on what Activision is doing. Can you see the question mark dazzybee? I'll bold it for you and underline it.

It isn't a wild statement.

Back on topic then hey?

@ Pedro: Not to wander of in yet another techie discussion, but that article really focuses on the bad points of the consoles. I'll hand it to you they really are nowhere near as powerful as some claims by MS and Sony, but they are more powerful than portrayed in that article. The article was meant to tone down the marketing BS, but really there's a lot more to the consoles than presented there.

On-topic: It's a shame about this being half a racer, but like Nintendork said - Tony Hawk needs buttons.

well, they are not focussing were the systems are good... but that would be bandwidth and fill rate... other than that... they are not exagerating, a lot of developers complained about Xbox 360 CPU... hey, I know the systems, Xbox 360 is powerful, but xenon doesn't perform better in anything compared to a pentium D or Athlon FX (considering dual cores), well only in fill rate... but... it's not a powerhouse... I think it's kinda like Xbox1 was compared to a Pc when it came out... it has the advantage of being a closed platform so it'll get better and better, but that's it.

but yeah, let's not wander into a tech discussion on this thread, I was just concluding that and won't push further on the matter...

On the matter about the topic... I know nothing about skating and don't recall having played tony hawk ever... so I really can't contribute on that, but I want to see the graphics and the interview they gave IGN was very interesting I liked how he explained the "grab" thing, with the Z button on the FHC.

I think the game could be good if done right, mixing racing with tricks to gain points and stuff might be good. I know that you hate everything and since you appear to be a skateboard fan it's natural that you dislike this genre, but it does have a chance.

Shame its by the people who made the decidedly average Death Jr.

you must be American, it's okay they don't get sarcasm.

I find that offensive Mr. Predjudist-face...

Then aaaagain, you are Nintendork and everyone in the forums get mad at you for your craziness, so I'll just stay quiet and accept your mean little comment.

I don't follow 'Dork's view. I really look forward to getting a hands-on with this as I think it has the potential to be something interesting. I think there is another reason why it's downhill though. To do the tricks in the regular THPS games you have to be mashing some serious buttons sometimes and I just don't think that work with teh Wii controller as it will be difficult to flick the controller around so fast.

I see this as being more of a Trickstyle kind of game (not that that was great) but as long as it has complicated track constructions lik SSX3 then I'm already smiling. Also I don't mind them going for a more stylised look cos it's great for movement at speed, just like in JSR. I don't care if this is nothing like THPS because I just want it to be fun.

Alright don't get me wrong maybe I am just tired but those screens are not from the Wii version I hope. They don't even look like beta screenshots from graphics quality - even worse than Gamecube and I guess some DS games look better.

(I just wrote so much because "MEH" would be under 15 character limit)

http://www.e3insider.com/_media/?type=image&format=fullSize&source=gp_Grind_chase_in_Machu_Picchu.jpg

http://www.e3insider.com/images/?type=screenpax&articleID=2QF45JF4HA

I sincerley hope they arent from Wii..............oh dear if they are

To be honest I fear they are really from the Wii version. Not even games at alpha stage must look so horrible. Low polygon models, no shadows, extrem ugly textures, non existant lightning.

I really hope that game is the exception because 6 months are not enough to make that game look like it could be for the Gamecube in my eyes. Developers should have it much more easier to make pretty graphics fast and then focus more on gameplay.

Even if the gameplay is heaven on earth that game will never get into the slot of my Wii :D

So much for my hopes that UE 3.0 will run on Wii.

If that is Activisions work they should get all their games and sell sand in the Sahara.

I agree with you SE.......look what it says underneath the selection of pics.....

Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam by Activision for Wii

oh deary me......