NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Jwizzman

CONCEPT: Super Smash Brothers Revolution Controls!

Since It's a b*tch to repost everything including pictures here I'll just post the link

_edit_

Pictures, explanations and theories, they're all here!

Aight...I've been having this conversation today with a friend of mine (MaXiMaldo) how Super Smash Brothers Revolution actually could be played. The truth is: We both didn’t think about it that much mostly because we had a bit of trouble imagining Super Smash Brothers Revolution but we’ve finally figured it out.

Two main thoughts came in mind, innovating new controls which made use of the unique controller functions but also keeping in mind that SSBM has a very high number of existing players (both casual and tournament players) and thus controls have to be at least a bit familiar.

So we came up with this control scheme:

i4047_revolutioncontrols.jpg

Why?: Movement should be traditional to the control-stick because of the many functions if has that simply can’t be replaced if you use the pointer to point where your character is.

On top of that: your arm would get more tired so that’s why we figured traditional control-stick movement would be the best way to go (walk/run/jump/roll/smash/throw etc.)

Standard and aerial attacks would be done much like the same way with the A button.

We had a long debate about the jump button but we figured the D-pad was the place to put it (D-pad down to be precise)

Smashes and Specials would be a whole other story:

To incorporate some of the revolution controllers unique function you could also use the flick-of-the-wrist method* to do smashes, throws but also do special (B) attacks**.

Simply by holding A + flick or B+ flick you can pull off smashes and special attacks

*Of course you would have an option to set the sensitivity of the flick-of-the-wrist

**Add an option to switch the B button between “toggle” and “press” and you can play Super Smash Brothers Revolution exactly like you can on Gamecube! (without even using any of the motion but just button presses)

i4046_missle.gif

i4045_chargebeam.gif

i4048_screwattack.gif

i4044_bomb.gif

B-attacks!? Where’s the neutral!?

I used the pictures to depict Special (B) attacks because smashed would be easy to imagine. B-attacks are a bit more illogical since you can’t have a neutral direction when it comes to movement.

That’s why we thought it would be cool to switch the neutral special to a backward flick (backwards and forward from your characters perspective ala fighters)

There is one thing which should be mentioned:

Since the shoulder buttons aren’t pressure triggered (like Gamecube’s shoulder buttons), light and heavy shielding could be removed (because they're very Gamecube controller based)

Did we forgot something? (we probably did) and if so...what?

EDIT

I've been checking out some boards for feedback 'n stuff and like to clarify there 2 important features up:

1. Smashing is ALSO possible by traditional Control-stick + A press like it is now, so you can choose to NOT use the flick-of-the-wrist method.

2. If you'd change the B button from hold (toggle) to press (in the optionsmenu or something like that) you can also do B-attacks with Controlstick + B-press.

So once again it's possible to play and NOT using using the flick-of-the-wrist method.

Conclusion: If you'd change the "B-option" you can play smash brothers exactly like you can now, there's only 3 things to note (for you advanced ssbm geeks):

There's maybe 3 things that will seems weird and will take some getting used to: (but they're mostly shoulder related)

1. block/roll/shield/wavedash with the left hand

2. grab/dashgrab with the left hand

3. light/heavy shielding would be "removed" or some other feature would be implemented.

Thats it all from Jwizzman's blog (i hope you dont mind)... anyway i havent got a clue how Nintendo are gonna do the controls for smash bros... but i know they wont let us down!

/edit

It's complete with pictures/theories/explanations so it might be a fun read: http://blogs.ign.com/Jwizzman/2006/04/23/13838/

-Edited-

I put it in the first post.

Cheers DiemetriX!

Anyway i think that seems like it is most likely the route Nintendo will take with the controls.. because i cant realy think of many other ways they could do it!?

I'm really not sure we'll be using the nunchucka in Smash Bros.

It's the Revolution's flagship title. Seeing as it sold the most GameCubes and will be there on launch..

The animated pictures of holding a button and moving the controller in a particular direction at a particular speed seems totally do-able.

I love the idea, but I just don't know if we need the analog stick.

Smash Bros. is a relatively simple fighter at the best of times (with items turned off) but I think with the combination of A and or B buttons, paired with the free hand controls may be enough.

Remember you can push A and B then carry out a movement.

My main criticism of not having a nunchuka is- character movement may not be as responsive and may have a long learning curve.

Whether that's for the best of the game I'm not sure.. I think at this point not having a demo of how responsive the hardware is.. it'd be best to stick with the nunchuka.

wow, that would really work, I was wondering myself how it would work.

I wonder if it would be better if the game allowed you to configure your own controls?

How can tipping the remote for Metriod work, when that's what you need to be using to aim your shot?

cube_game/DiemetriX: Thanks a lot for the edit

wow, that would really work, I was wondering myself how it would work.

I wonder if it would be better if the game allowed you to configure your own controls?

In a way it would because I've heard that some people seem to like grabbing with the B-trigger since it's so intuitive, squeeze = grab but on the other hand Nintendo hasn't been that into setting your own controls so I wouldn't bet on it.

They'll probably have awesome controls anyway, no worries there.

How can tipping the remote for Metriod work, when that's what you need to be using to aim your shot?

oh my god, I love you so much, you actually made me LOL, thanks mate

I agree with Nintendork on this one. I think the game will only use the FHC, for the reason that Nintendo want to show that all sorts of things can be done with it.

I believe Smash Bros. would be best done with the controller in the 'NES Position'; That way keeping the same sort of controls, but also adding in the use of tilt for certain features (Remote style doesn't seem as though it would give good access to the D-Pad)

HAL can't just use the FHC only just because of 'flagship title' reasons when the game will be better with the nunchuck. If gameplay becomes better by adding the nunchuck, then they should. The FHC makes things too simple, as you only have four buttons to use, of which two are plain annoying to use.

I doubt that Nintendo sees the nunchuck as an optional part of the Revolution. Some games require the nunchuck, and I think Super Smash Brothers does too.

Love the concept, well done :smile:

To be honest, I hope they just use either the shell or revert back to the GCN controller. I like the controls the way they are, I don't want to learn a whole new system.

It'll be fun though. It fits SSB to go a little nutty on the controls :heh:

EDIT: The pics are gone.

First time playing Smash Bros Revolution will look a little like this:

bopit.jpg

I don't think we should rule out perhaps having a dedicated FHC add-on just for smash bros.

They could totally have something really imaginitive for the launch games besides the nunchuka.

Who's to say we wont be able to have addons like in bopit for games like WarioWare or in this case Smash Bros.

I don't think we should rule out perhaps having a dedicated FHC add-on just for smash bros.

Who's to say we wont be able to have addons like in bopit for games like WarioWare or in this case Smash Bros.

I think needing an add-on for a major 1st party release title is a bad idea - it will give the impression that the controller is gimmicky and it will only work with add-ons.

I'm really hoping that SSB only uses the FHC (without the nunchuck). This will show its versatility and solid functionality.

I can't think of any reason (whatsoever) why you would need an add-on for WarioWare - the FHC and WarioWare is a match made in heaven!

Haha yeah good point actually, I just imagine that it would be harder to multitask like patting your head and rubbing your tummy.

If they had some extra add-on it would really be stressful for mini games because it would take a second dimension to the FHC.

Like bopit has a 'spin it' wheel which is horrible.

I hope they will use the traditional way and the FHC way so you have the choice.Good idea's.

See, this is why I don't think we need a shell. Using the nunchuk, we've got 4 buttons, d pad, analogue stick and movement sensing.

SSB on cube only needed analogue stick, A,B,X and either L or R. Some might not even use X. It's well within the rev's capabilities. Motion sensing could cover all the hardcore stuff like wavedashing, directional influence, CCing, Doughnuts and yes I made that last one up.

I think the game will just require the FHC. Like others have said Nintendo really need the show that the FHC is the future. Who knows though. the FHC and nunchuck combo may actully become the standard for Rev games.

Makes more sense now thanks, but you know when you flick it down for say a bomb, people may have a tendancy to flick the FHC up a bit before they flick it down. Does anybody know what I mean? This may cause problems cause you could imagine people may not just drop their wrists.

Its not a case of using the FHC because its a launch title. If you read between the lines, Nintendo R&D seemed only to consider the FHC (the nunchuka was suggested, apparently, by the guys and girls at Retro). I can see MOST first party games coming from Japan being FHC only, with one or two notable exceptions.

The FHC is revolutionary. An analogue stick isnt... not any more. The attacks will no doubt work similar to the above - but movement and jumping will be performed by moving the FHC - and not actually pressing any buttons.

Its not a case of using the FHC because its a launch title. If you read between the lines, Nintendo R&D seemed only to consider the FHC (the nunchuka was suggested, apparently, by the guys and girls at Retro). I can see MOST first party games coming from Japan being FHC only, with one or two notable exceptions.

The FHC is revolutionary. An analogue stick isnt... not any more. The attacks will no doubt work similar to the above - but movement and jumping will be performed by moving the FHC - and not actually pressing any buttons.

Exactly. I agree with everyone: No nunchuck here.

Think about it, smash brothers only needs the NES pad really. Maybe that will be it. Just turn it on it's side and play ala NES. That would REALLY piss a lot of people off!

Sign in to follow this