NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
solitanze

DVD Playback On Revolution

They've mentioned so far a small internal attachment would allow for DVD & Movie playback, what would this be, would we have to open the entire console, just to get it inserted and installed, would it be an attachment that sticks out and ruins the slickness of the console? Why just it can't be standard? An evolution for their console perhaps, but I guess with low costs in mind, very few people will actually use it, so from a business view point in regards to costs, its probably the best decision.

We think it might plug into the flap on the front of the console, but we haven't seen inside there yet...

i think it could be just a 'key' they just turn the lock and its allowed the DVD play back to function. i do't think its something to plug in. more things lying around then.

or i think ninty wil have two packs of the rev, ones without the dvd play back and ones with. when you go and buy one they'll ask (store poeple) and you say you want the one with the playback enabled, then they'll bring out the right one with it.

It goes in the bottom serial port.

End of, it doesn't go in the front.

Why would they spoil the design of a sleak elegant system for a chip that very few people will take advantage of? The front flap is for something much more important than the DVD dongle.

The design of the Revolution's bottom side is similar to the GameCube's there are screws and serial ports for the DVD dongle. I've seen the patent images.

DVD playback is not a Revolution.

The dongle goes in once, and it will probably stay there, it does not need to be on the front or even the side of the system- it makes every bit of sense to have it on the bottom.

Install once and don't screw with it.

The front flap is there because it will be used frequently. I think it has something to do with social play- taking your Revolution round a mates.

mpeg2 licenses cost near to £20, that is why they are not including it as standard. As you pointed out very few will take advantage of it- but those who do will have one of the most stylish DVD players on the market.

I'm getting it because the Xbox and Mac are my only DVD players and they both suck the first being loud the second being hot..

i think it could be just a 'key' they just turn the lock and its allowed the DVD play back to function.

I love that idea:bowdown:! It's so low tech!

DVD playback isn't standard because they'd have to pay royalties in order to do so, that's why you need a remote for XBOX.

No it hasn't it has simply been confirmed that it will be a "small self contained DVD dongle to enable playback"

I've seen patent images, it goes in the bottom. The reason why it hasn't been confirmed is because nobody cares about where the DVD playback dongle goes, the only thing we care about is that there is one- and it wont ruin the design. Which is what we've been told.

They'll demo it at E3 but the patent images clearly show that it does. Just trust me on that one fgs.

i think nintedorks right, look at these pics, i thnk it will wiether go in the red bit or the yellow bit:

rev4zl.jpg

it is the undersie, the part that goes into the stand thing. itll just slot in there

also to bing up another thing. where has the plug gone in the picture of the rev, above the AV out?

http://media.revolutionreport.com/hardware/gdc06_rev3.jpg

is dissaparated

Nintendo have said that version of the console at GDC is not necessarily the final design. It was strange that it dissappeard. I wonder if it was where the other bit of the AV thing went but then Nintendo have worked out how to get both of the sound and picture from one plug.

In short I haven't got a clue!

I think it's the Yellow bit because Iwata specified how it will be small, the Red bit is rather overkill just for a dongle.

The xbox one is rather small-

xbox_remote.jpg

but also because it's rather close to the slot loading drive entrance.

With regard to the other port that has vanished I was very worried, I spoke to some techies and they think that that little port was a surround sound port, digital out.

Digital surround sound is a pretty immersive experienceand will be a technology that is lowering in price and enterring more and more homes this year.

I really hope they include this in the final hardware revision..

This leads us onto the other question.

- What is the red bay for? It looks rather hard drive esque..

- Why is the surround sound port gone?

Is the big red bay where the HD-DVD or bluray DVD drive would go? Nntendo have talked about adding one of them in the future haven't they?

I don't think so..? The drive is a pretty integral part of the chipset.

I highly doubt Nintendo will support either Blu-Ray or HD-DVD ever in the lifespan of the Revolution console.

Unless they release a hybrid like the 'Q' from Panasonic.

Besides it's too small and a far too complicated replacement for your average user. I mean it's slot loading.. jeez that'd be a hard hot swap.

No that was Microsoft. The red bay probably hides some expansion ports, such as the SD slot. I really hope they won't drop surround sound. The gap with the GameCube probably won't be big visually, but they could dramatically improve on sound.

EDIT:

The DVD playback seems to make digital surround more likely - it will have to be able to decode it at the very least when playing DVDs.

I don't think SD cards will go in the bottom.

In fact that would be really annoying every time you want to remove a memory card you'd have to lift up the console.

It would be simpler and easier to mouth the SD bay(s) on the top or indeed as the case may be on the front.

Hell SD cards are small enough why the hell don't they include a slot in the controller? It would be much easier for taking it round your mates.. They do it on the original xbox.

Anyway that's going a little off topic.

SD will probably be on the top or the front of the system.

21st, most consoles have expansion bays, even if they're not used- the N64 and Cube had them, as did the PS1 and PS2.

There's a screw on the ports and they're clearly there for a reason otherwise it would be cheaper just to have a flat panel in the case.

nintendork im sorry but I am getting quite sick of your posts, you say that things like thats that end of! like it isnt worth speculating. Im sure othr people have ideas of there own.

Anyway im not really bothered where it goes to be honest. And I do agree it should have the sd cards in the controller, more compact.

nintendork im sorry but I am getting quite sick of your posts

Who isn't?

*Goes outside, gets over it*

Yeah to be honest man, you do say a lot of things which you are asuming are true when they are just maybes.

21st, you can see a screw hole on the foot of the console, I think that has something to do with it, though they could just be click in panels.

The fact that they have been detailed on the Revolution patent, and the fact that other consoles too have expansion bays like this:

http://www.emulationgalaxy.co.yu/images/gc-bottom.jpg

Suggests that the panels are A. removable and B. may serve some pupose for future upgradability like a DVD dongle.

Triforce Keeper and Patch to be blunt with you I don't give a fuck.

If it wasn't for me you'd still be talking about how the Revolution stand might be a battery or a power supply.

Which if I remember correctly I debunked from the moment I saw it.. and continued on to prove how it was bolox.

I am a realist, the idea that the DVD dongle goes in the front, or the Revolution will support HD/Blu Ray is ridiculous.. I'm all for speculation- but realistic speculation.

You just agreed with me that my idea that the SD cards could go in the controller.. that was speculation.

And I do agree it should have the sd cards in the controller, more compact.
But hang on a minute, I thought I didn't like speculation? I doubt it will happen really, it's just a nice idea.

It makes perfect sense that the DVD dongle goes in the bottom and I see no reason why we should get hooked up on trying to deviate from the idea that I've put forward. I know that sounds a little egotistical but like I said: Realist.

The lack of out-of-the-box DVD player functionality isnt as important as it was back in 2000 when the PS2 came out, I wont be buying one of these dongles. Pretty much everyone has a DVD player now, especially as you can walk into any supermarket and get a one for 20 odd quid which does Multi-region, Dolby, MP3 CDs, JPEG etc.

'Dork I still don't see why it can't go in the front. As most of us know, all it needs to do is unlock the function of the DVD player. The system already had wireless for the controllers so it doesn't need to big.

Also I've seen no where that has said that it will be a dongle.

Iwata: "Small self contained attachment to enable DVD playback"

Translation: Dongle.

It's a small chip that enables something to happen, it's an efficient way of stopping piracy for some software like autoCAD software and cubase, more effective than serial numbers at least.

Perhaps Japan doesn't have a word for 'dongle'

I just think the front is going to be for something so much more important than a stupid little DVD dongle.

It just has to be to warrant being on the front.

Hell if Nintendo wanted they could have put the GameCube ports on the front or the USB ports.. like on the PS2, but they didn't because they wanted to preserve this design. That's why they went for slot loading- Design.

I just get the impression for that flap to be there, and to still be a secret.. it has to be something bigger than a DVD playback.

Can you imagine at the press event "Satoru, what's that little flap for then?"

Iwata: "Oh it's just the DVD playback, sorry to get your hopes up"

Sign in to follow this