NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Cube

Huge problem - Windows wont start on my laptop

Well, i turn my laptop on....it boots up.....shows the windows loading screen

the loading screend just stays on.

im leaving it on now...its been over 12mins and still nothing

Ooooh, sounds a bit ominous. Try starting up in safe mode. Otherwise you can use your windows install CD (Select CD drive as boot drive in your BIOS) to either repair windows, or install a new version. I did this on my laptop, and managed to install a completely new version of Windows, while keeping all the documents and games I had on my hard drive intact. Just try booting to your Windows Install Disk, and see what you can do from there, and avoid anything that suggests formatting if you want to keep your files.

k, safe mode doesnt make any difference, so ill have to use the restore disk (and hope i dont loose all my models/texturing/scriptong work

ive already reinstalled windows....there was no option to just 'fix' it

so ive lost almost everything

using different file recovery tools.

on the 4th now....didnt find any of my documants or moded game files.

Ouch ouch ouch, you shouldn't have used the restore disc that came with the machine, they ALWAYS just wipe it, unlike a proper XP disc.

Damnit.... I would have said to try and boot with something else so you could back your files up.

Didn't give enough time to let anyone help you >_<

GetDataBackNTFS is a pretty useful tool for getting files back, but it's not free. Another awesome tool of doom is ERD Commander 2005, although I have the full version of that too, and that's not free, but it's a little piece of awesome.

The less data you write to your drive now, the more chance you have of getting those files back.

PROTIP: Never rely on a laptop to store the only copy of some essential data. Get yourself an external drive so you can backup onto it. Laptops get thrown around while the drive is spinning and are super prone to failure.

im using a program called PC Inspector File recovery....so far ive got over 2.6GB of data back....just looking through all the chunks its found anr restoring what i want.

I must admit i act too quickly when it comes to computers....

edit: thanks for the tip...as i dont have money for an external HDD, ill just copy stuff to my desktop for backing up

Okay, but if you can from to time, burn a CD at least with your stuff, you'll thank yourself in the long run. :)

Get a DVD RW drive and some DVD RW disks. With a pack of five you can store over 20Gigs of stuff securely. They're a god send! PS. My DELL Windows Re-install disk allowed me to replace my version of windows without formatting the hard drive.

Get a DVD RW drive and some DVD RW disks. With a pack of five you can store over 20Gigs of stuff securely. They're a god send! PS. My DELL Windows Re-install disk allowed me to replace my version of windows without formatting the hard drive.

I have a Dual Layer DVD-RW drive im my laptop.....i just need some disks.

Sign in to follow this