NEurope
brueske

Videogames Make Kids Violent!

Hey, I was wondering your opinions on violence in videogames. Does It make kids more violent to play games like DOOM3, or RE:4? Do you think that the research behind it is fake or grounded in facts?

It might make younger kid's a bit more moany and cranky(like shouting more and maybe swear more),and if they are mentally weak -not retarded or downsydrome or anything,just that they can't see straight and can't keep their 'cool-.But I think video game's making you more violent is an over statment.

It doesn't make the kids violent, there has to be something wrong with the kid's background or some inspiration at home. Consider the girl that inspired the Bob Geldof song "I don't like mondays". Is there any logic in that? The only reason she killed the kids and teachers at her school is because her dad's gun was lying about somewhere. And yet guns are still legal in USA. The kids that the statistics are based on just needed something to blame to take the heat off them. "Oh, I play GTA a lot, that's the only reason I shot his head off. I tlooked cool in the game, I never realised the consequences". Of course you did you idiotic moron.

Yea,tellyn is right there must be background and they must know what they are doing-unless they have problems-.All this stuff about blaming games is rubbish because people won't admit it was their fault or could of stopped it from happening.

I don't think they make people more violent, bad parenting allows it to make them violent (and there's plenty of that going round... but thats off topic)

anyway, I do think that violent games do desensitize people to violence - it becomes something more acceptable to see.

Personally I'm a pretty non violent person, I don't like violence really at all.

give me violence in a video game and I still don't like violence, but seeing it doesn't affect me as much. after a while of seeing violence it will stop affecting me. my dislike of violence becomes more academic than.. a strong conviction.

I'm not saying its a quick thing - it is a slow thing.

and I actually don't think its a bad thing, I think its a good thing to be exposed to a certain amount of violence, proportional to the environment. But I think its bad to be exposed to too much.

people don't like to be told they are easily influenced, they will reject the notion as nonsense, and claim they haven't been affected. thing is, they have been affected, just it was so gradual they never noticed it.

and this is totally natural - its an adaption tool. If we are exposed to lots of violence, then we need to be desensitised to it in order to react appropriately. otherwise we would have a sensationalist reaction to it "oh no its so awful, how could this happen, its the worst thing ever, why did this happen, the world is ending" by which time the initial trigger will likely have caught us up, ie we end up maimed/injured/dead.

whereas with adaption we become desensitised and we escape (or make a good effort) at escaping the source of violence.

my view.

cutting this short cos I'm going out now, so in summary, yes they can make people violent.

I don't think they make people more violent, bad parenting allows it to make them violent (and there's plenty of that going round... but thats off topic)

It's not off topic really though is it.

Anyway no, videogames don't make people violent. People are already naturally violent, however some weirdos are open to it being the trigger of some psyco attack....But most of it's the parents fault, 3 year olds playing GTA and the like...

Mario Football is the most influencial violence in a videogame in my opinion; I can't believe it's not at least a 7+

Society is far too multifaceted to come to such conclusions.

We would need to isolate someone from computer games for a period of time.. say 20 years and then monitor another child from a similar background and supply them with a variety of video games through the span of their life.

Then compare them.. problem is society is really complicated. The media, parents, friends, family, television networks. Everything influences us.

Capitalism and exploitation of the environment makes me more violent than computer games. I think there may be a casual link between violent people and people who play violent computer games, but i think many people who aren't violent also enjoy the escapism that being violent in a virtual reality world brings.

Basically a parental body has 90% of the influence on children.. and the school covers a lot of the remaining 10% and the media will have some influence too.

Computer games are negligible.. I find it hard to believe that anyone would be influenced by a game to be violent.

Just look at TV, Jackass- nobody whinged about that did they, kids love it. But they don't copy it (well we did but not the real violent stuff)

As a scientist, a keen game and someone who is very interested in society, the media and politics I say "Bullshit" to all research.. the conclusions cannot be based on anything solid and I really question who funded such research.

Who can benefit from it?

of course video games affect people. i mean i like running around and jumping on peoples head. carrying around a water gun and squirting them.

i joke. maybe video games do make peopl cray. remember that video of that little boy going crazy over an n46. might not be like that nowadays though.

i dont know , i dont think they do.

I examined some research back in college which was based on university students.

Basically the aim of the research was to see if there was a link between the kinds of games someone would prefer to play.. and their tendencies to show dementia or violence.

They tested 5 people.. presented them with a choice of 2 games, Myst and Doom (this was the early 90s) and most that picked Doom also admitted to mild cases of dementia and violence as a child.

First of all, these are University students, and they are being asked to tell the truth- who is to say they didn't just lie? and 5 university students? It's hardly a fair comment on society.

People who go to University come from a richer background typically, they're usually educated and probably would prefer to play Doom over a mature game like Myst.

The research was bullshit and had holes in it everywhere. I can dig it up if anyone is interested.. but people like Jack Thompson still refer to research like this 10 years later like it is gospel.

Research is VERY difficult to do like this.

Hey, I was wondering your opinions on violence in videogames. Does It make kids more violent to play games like DOOM3, or RE:4? Do you think that the research behind it is fake or grounded in facts?

If anything, RE4 teaches kids that if a crazy parasite monster comes out of someones head the easiest way to kill it is by flash grenade :yay:

It has been proven that video games desensitise our responses to violence.. not really that related. However it has been proven by neuroscientists who analyse brain patterns when we view violent images and measure our brain patterns.

That's something that is scientific because we can't change how we feel after we see a picture of a corpse.. but playing Resident Evil would desensitise us to images of that nature.. mostly because Resident Evil is quite photorealistic.

This was benchmarked against those who don't play games and they were shown the same images (corpses etc..) and they showed much higher responses to the images.

That is solid research.

This has been discussed a gazillion times, so I won't go in depth, but saying videogames makes people violent is stupid. We are bombarded with violence everyday in movies, series, theatre, news, comics, books... Videogames are just another media form and media forms translate lots of different things. If a kid is so fucked up in the head that he gets violent because he's playing a game, his parents shouldn't let him buy games and they should make him see a psychiatrist. I've been playing violent games since, well, forever and the only things that changed were that maybe I don't get as shocked by violence as I would get normally. But this, in a good way, because that way I don't throw up when I see dead people in the news. In most videogames violence is used as a means of defence, expcept for GTAs and the sort.

This is all just a witch hunt to a juvenile entertainment form.

The lease violent person i know is a playstation fanboy who only plays games if he can kill loads of people with guns.

Well, except when i got him playing Wind Waker.

You don't exactly play Zelda and go out with a sword killing people who look like's like an enemy.

Most of the points I wanted to state were already said so I only add one more slightly related things.

I read that videogames actually lower the tendency to recreate actions in real life because you're already doing them in the game.

Actions in films however are more often recreated in real life because you want to imitate what was happening in the cinema. So if we can believe this study this means that video games should make you less violent while films give you lots of "bad ideas".

Yes it does

I played soul calibur, now i own 2 Katanas, a pair of Sais and 2 nunchukas. but i really want to be Kilik so i think ill buy a bo staff

Basically a parental body has 90% of the influence on children.. and the school covers a lot of the remaining 10% and the media will have some influence too.

In these days, the child's friends has alot more influence on him/her than his/her parents do.

and this is totally natural - its an adaption tool. If we are exposed to lots of violence, then we need to be desensitised to it in order to react appropriately. otherwise we would have a sensationalist reaction to it "oh no its so awful, how could this happen, its the worst thing ever, why did this happen, the world is ending" by which time the initial trigger will likely have caught us up, ie we end up maimed/injured/dead.

QFT and LOL. :laughing:

I think it depends from kid to kid. If as a parent you know that your 12 year old kid easily gets influenced by video games, then obviously you won't let it play GTA or Doom. It has been proven that some kids become more agressive because of games, but that is certainly not a reason to make such a big deal about it. I played lots of 3D shooters and RTS games when I was about 14 years old and I was never agressive, because my parents just made sure I did other things than playing games all the day.

I played mario A LOT and I'm not jumping over turtles....

I really don't think this is true. Only for kids with less than 10 years and even those....

If a person is in such a state of mind as to be so easily effected by computer games, the person should seek medical advice. Games do not make people violent as films do not, they can however be a means for mentaly unstable persons to become angered or inspirred.

I also heard that games are sometimes an outlet for violence. Do you think that is in any way correct?

I spent hundreds of hours -literally-on PSO and i'm not looking for bear like creature's that pop up from the ground with a saber and trying to use magic.It's the surrounding's of the child that will influence them.Though I do want a Katana i'm not going to go kill people when I eventually get one.

I feel that the people who say games make people violent are retarded, I've played many violent games, like resi4, but that doesn't make me want to go out into the street with a shotgun mowing down anyone passing by. The only people who are actually affected by violence in videogames are very, very young children and weak-minded people.