NEurope
Stocka

Xbox 360 Console Discussion

I heard a couple of things that seem to suggest that Samsung and early Hitachi DVD drives are what causes the problem.

3drives.jpg

drivetype1.jpg

drivetype1.jpg

This isn't from the most reliable source but it may give you an idea if your model may be affected. From the sounds of it, if your DVD disc tray is black then you have no chance. However, even with the other models some of them may still be fine.

I have a Hitachi DVD drive 360 and I already get some disk read errors! When's the update due?

Just checked mine, it is a 20gb older version.

Underneath the faceplate i couldn't see any wires but upon closer inspection they were yellow.

I want mine to break damn it!! :yay:

Haha.

Just checked mine, it is a 20gb older version.

Underneath the faceplate i couldn't see any wires but upon closer inspection they were yellow.

I want mine to break damn it!! :yay:

Haha.

Same here!

When did the firmware update happen? I never noticed it.

I was reading a article somewhere saying its coming out tomorrow. Will post a link if I can find it again.

I do have a really really old arcade 360 that doesn't have a hard drive. :o

Lol.

It red ringed of deathed on me but I may check that one out of curiosity as its lying around somewhere.

Even though they wouldn't replace it now.

Yeah definitely no wires in mine. Though as Cube has said it is unreliable and that some will work anyway I'm not really fussed. Although my xbox doesn't have an HDMI port so a replacement would be handy!

I do have a really really old arcade 360 that doesn't have a hard drive. :o

Lol.

It red ringed of deathed on me but I may check that one out of curiosity as its lying around somewhere.

Even though they wouldn't replace it now.

I don't think they'll replace it unless you get the message through your console, so an RRoD'd one wouldn't be any use I'm afraid.

Yah I kinda guessed that but am intrigued to see what is inside it non-the less. :)

I've got an old one up in the attic so if I transfer my account, etc to that, do the upgrade and it doesn't work is there a chance I'll get a new one?!

I don't think i'll have that issue, already got one of them Slim 360's.

Ha, just turned the old Xbox on and found a copy of Beatles Rock Band (that I lost and have since replaced) in the drive, now I have two copies :heh:

Surely there will be a specific model of 360 and a specific game which this always happens with, and you could buy both and swap for a new 360?

You're a genius - when we get a bit more solid info on which consoles it happens on I'll be rifling through our pre-owned 360s at work!

The Major Nelson blog has stated the spring 360 firmware update is out anytime now (microsoft have said you coul dbe prompted at some point over the next few weeks to update).

Other than what has already been mentioned regarding the upgrading disc reader it will also be adding paypal as a payment option to making purchases on the console.

http://majornelson.com/2011/05/19/new-xbox-360-system-update-brings-expanded-paypal-functionality/

Why bother saying "U.S. and International" users? Surely that just means everybody.

I just checked my XBox and couldn't see any wires.

I'll check again in the day light but...

How'd do I go about this?

Just... phone them?

?

If you have the xbox with the problem, you will be automatically notified when the system update is rolled out.

Although the new system update isn't what is causing the problems. So if you haven't had the issue yet, you're unlikely to be affected!

Although the new system update isn't what is causing the problems. So if you haven't had the issue yet, you're unlikely to be affected!

What is causing the problem then?

I rang Microsoft on Thursday to turn off the auto renew after i stacked up the £1 a month offer. He noticed that i stacked up the offer and he said that it was a glitch and i should not have got that (i was laughing inside at this point) but there was ‘nothing they could do about it now and he laughed a bit’ lol.

My current membership now runs till November and he offered me a renewal of £24 for another 12 months from November rather than turning off auto-renew! But the money won’t leave my account till 2nd December and if i change my mind before then i can cancel it! He did state the offer depended on how long i have been a member for (four years now) and how often i have played online.

I was quite impressed tbh!

That offer you can get elsewhere at the moment. I can't remember where but maybe on hotukdeals?

That offer you can get elsewhere at the moment. I can't remember where but maybe on hotukdeals?

I just had a look on there and the cheapest was by how i did it. Ringing them up to cancel auto renew and if your classed as a value customer they offer you 40% off for 12 month subscription.

Fffuuuuuuu....

Been playing BG&E for a couple of hours without saving. Game freezes. Reboot. All progress lost.

Fucking... non-autosave bloody last-gen nonsense. I'll have to leave it for a few days. Gah.

Also downloaded Stacking which is great fun so far. Leaps a bit from the first kinda-introductory level to the second from a collect-'em-all feel to a bit more of a point-and-click mode of try-every-possible-combination -- not to a huge extent, of course, but it certainly crossed between being good-natured fun to demanding I release the inner OCD monster.