NEurope
Stocka

Xbox 360 Console Discussion

On my 1 year warranty, got it 25th January 2008. Problem is, I bought it in a zavvi store that I'm unable to get to in 12 days. It's not strictly speaking an RROD, only the two left quadrants light up.

On my 1 year warranty, got it 25th January 2008. Problem is, I bought it in a zavvi store that I'm unable to get to in 12 days. It's not strictly speaking an RROD, only the two left quadrants light up.

From what you put in ''How was your day'' I'd say make time to get it replaced, although I'd send it back to the manucfactor rather than zavvi. As with all the sales from them shutting might mean they can't replace it for you anyway.

For now I'd leave it and see if it really is just overheating.

Just had 3 RROD :( so I took off my HDD and took the game out, and it started working again, played N+ and it turned off again, turned it off and tried in 5mins and now its working again >_< Not really sure what to make of it. I guess leaving a game within the console whilst taking it to uni wasn't a good idea :)

I have a feeling my 360 might be going at somepoint. I always hear loud noises from it every so often when I play from a disc and I get disc errors coming up when there's nothing at all wrong with the discs. I just can't be bothered having to re-buy one.

I guess leaving a game within the console whilst taking it to uni wasn't a good idea :)

You could have done a rain dance for all the difference it would have made. 360s have an endemic design flaw, and whilst newer models are more reliable they're still not to be trusted.

Still, it's a great machine when it isn't melting.

Are xboxes meant to be really loud? I never noticed it before uni because it was never really near me whilst I was playing!

I don't think so, though at times it's been really loud for me which is leaving me a bit concerned. I really don't want to go buy another one and waste money on soemthing I essentially already have.

Yeah they're pretty noisy, but if you can hear it over the sound of the game or you never really noticed it til recently it might be a problem.

I'd get it swapped with M$, unless you go to Zavvi and they say they can definitely do it (which they might not for the reasons nightwolf mentioned). While you're in the 1 year warranty, Microsoft will fix it for free no matter what the problem is, even if it's not 3 lights - but once you go over that 1 year, it has to be RRoD to get it fixed free. You can register to get it repaired online and print off a UPS label, then arrange online for UPS to replace it, a painless process.

Although people do say that if you phone them, you can just claim it's 3 red lights at any point and they'll fix it for free, even outside your 1yr warranty.

Yeah they're pretty noisy, but if you can hear it over the sound of the game or you never really noticed it til recently it might be a problem.

I only really notice noise when playing fable, other than that it's quiet enough. Maybe it struggles with Fable for some odd reason..

It'd be a kicker if it broke now..only got it the week before christmas! :shakehead

Is it the disk tray whirr? If you eject the disk or go back to dashboard does it stop making the noise straight away? Solvable by installing the game to your hard drive.

Is it the disk tray whirr? If you eject the disk or go back to dashboard does it stop making the noise straight away? Solvable by installing the game to your hard drive.

Ah! Yes I only get the noise when I'm actually playing a game or it's loading. Phew!

I suppose I better get round to doing that. Not to mention the free trial of gold xbl I have as well. :bowdown:

I only really notice noise when playing fable, other than that it's quiet enough. Maybe it struggles with Fable for some odd reason..

Have you been able to to upgrade to the new dashboard yet? Installing Fable 2 to the HDD will cut down on noise a lot as it won't have to keep streaming from the DVD drive, and for me it also made the game run better; less texture pop-in, smoother menus, etcetera.

Oh, incidentally I ended up using Instant Live Codes to renew my Live subscription. It was quick and painless, so they seem alright to me.

Have you been able to to upgrade to the new dashboard yet? Installing Fable 2 to the HDD will cut down on noise a lot as it won't have to keep streaming from the DVD drive, and for me it also made the game run better; less texture pop-in, smoother menus, etcetera.

Oh, incidentally I ended up using Instant Live Codes to renew my Live subscription. It was quick and painless, so they seem alright to me.

I haven't even been able to connect it to the internet yet, something I was going to do today but I was downloading *cough* legally *cough*. I'll try tomorrow.

I was wondering about that site as it was mentioned before, how many times have you used them? Was thinking about getting 3 months, just to see how it goes.

My xbox is stupidily loud, i was so happy when i heard about the saving games to hard drive would quieten it down.. it did nothing, it must be the fans or something, its like a microwave, literally!

Got 2 red lights tonite, dont kno what that means, but it quickly snapped out of it and seems to be running fine again now!

I was wondering about that site as it was mentioned before, how many times have you used them? Was thinking about getting 3 months, just to see how it goes.

Just the once, and given that it was a 13 month subscription I won't be using them again any time soon. Still, I had the code within 10 minutes of paying and if they do mess people around at least they're going through PayPal. I think by and large all such websites are fairly legitimate, you just want to make sure you're going through some kind of medium and not handing over your card details directly.

So in the end I decided to call Microsoft and get it replaced/repaired under warranty.

Funny story though, I talked to the guy and he mentioned that after looking up the console, my warranty had expired on the 3rd of January 2009. I then told him that their information was incorrect, and proceeded to read off of the receipt I've kept in the box since purchase. He then said he was willing to give me a "1 month grace period" on my warranty - or in other words, thought he'd try and screw me out of my free repair but wasn't banking on me keeping my receipt.

:indeed:

In the mean time, my flatmate has given me his 360 to use until mine returns which is great news. Feels dirty, though...plus it's a nasty arcade console with a plastic disk drive, eww :heh:

by jove i wonder how often they try to pull the "no more warrenty" card when they indeed have it.

Anyone had any problems with second hand 360 games. I bought GTA IV from C-ex exchange for £20 and took it back because it wouldn't work at all (just crashed after the black screen with © Rockstar etc.) I took it back and they wouldn't give me my money back and instead cleaned the disc for me and it worked initially but it crashed on me three times yesterday! They said they'd give me my money back if I had anymore problems so I may just do that and pay £5 extra from Gamestation instead.

get second hand games from game/gamestation, as you long as you have your receipt theyll swap em within 30 days i think?

and that has to be the worst xbox avatar ever, he has a styled monobrow?

Finally I have found an upside to the 360's unreliability. My friend got the RROD on Saturday, and after sending it off today brought me 7 games to borrow until he gets it back in 2-3 weeks. So I have 2-3 weeks to play and complete: Prince of Persia, Tomb Raider, Legendary, EndWar, Rock Band 2, Gears of War 2, and Left4Dead. Some (RB2, GoW, L4D) I was planning on buying somewhere down the road anyway, others I wasn't (Legendary, wtf was he thinking? :heh: ) but hey, free is free!

Actually, why am I wasting my precious 2 weeks on here? *runs*

get second hand games from game/gamestation, as you long as you have your receipt theyll swap em within 30 days i think?

and that has to be the worst xbox avatar ever, he has a styled monobrow?

Not sure about gamestation but GAME offer the same 'after sales service with a reciept' as if u bought a new game from them. Thats what a guy behind the till told me a few months ago anyway...

Not sure about gamestation but GAME offer the same 'after sales service with a reciept' as if u bought a new game from them. Thats what a guy behind the till told me a few months ago anyway...

They do it at gamestation also, which makes sense if GAME own gamestation.

Indeed, GameStation do it aswell . If you have a pre-owned game and it doesn't work you can switch it for another.

You can also replace it even if it was your fault for knocking your xbox whilst it's playing..

*looks shifty*