NEurope
Stocka

Xbox 360 Console Discussion

'Splosion Man is 160MS Points!

linkage

I snapped this up yesterday aswell. I haven't a clue when I will get around to playing it but at that price I would be a fool not to buy it.

Anyone know how the Kinect is doing sales-wise in comparison to the Move?

Kinda interested to know that.

Well Microsoft announced that in the first 10 days they sold 1 million Kinects, but that's all I could find. Compare that to the 200,000 Moves sold in that time. No current data that I can find, as VG chartz isn't the most exact tool. You should probably also take the Microsoft numbers with a pinch of salt, but I think it easily outsold Move in its first week.

Allegedly Move is selling "better than expected" so there'll be a stock shortage over Christmas. Either that means sales picked up, Sony never expected it to sell well, or they're trying the old marketing trick of "it's out of stock therefore it must be popular".

I think I'll pick up a Kinect in time for Christmas, could be a good laugh with all the family round.

anyone seen any news on when the new trials hd expansion is out? supposed to be last quarter thought some date would be announced by now unless i missed it

anyone seen any news on when the new trials hd expansion is out? supposed to be last quarter thought some date would be announced by now unless i missed it

a quick check online suggests the second DLC should hit this week

I don't know how well the Move is selling, but the Kinect sold 2.5 million units in the first 25 days.

E:

Just found this article saying that Sony has SHIPPED (not sold) 4.1 million PS Move devices.

This brought up a point to me that makes comparing straight numbers horribly flawed.

41 million PS Move devices is a really odd number because for one person to play they need a camera, the move controller, and some games require the other controller as well (the thumbstick/Dpad one)

So, assuming you just want to play alone you need 3 units. If you want a friend to join in you need 5 units total, whereas on the 360 you still only need the 1 Kinect camera.

Also I don't know if they're considering the bundle pack stuff as one unit or multiple units.

Edited by Llama Juice

Sonny released a statement the other day saying that they had sold 4.1 million units worldwide in 2 months, although they then went 'oh yeah, sorry, we meant shipped to stores, not actually sold.

So who knows, basically. I would assume there are at the very least 300,000 sitting in stock rooms world wide, but that is based entirely on speculation and no accurate knowledge at all.

I don't know how well the Move is selling, but the Kinect sold 2.5 million units in the first 25 days.

E:

Just found this article saying that Sony has SHIPPED (not sold) 4.1 million PS Move devices.

This brought up a point to me that makes comparing straight numbers horribly flawed.

41 million PS Move devices is a really odd number because for one person to play they need a camera, the move controller, and some games require the other controller as well (the thumbstick/Dpad one)

So, assuming you just want to play alone you need 3 units. If you want a friend to join in you need 5 units total, whereas on the 360 you still only need the 1 Kinect camera.

Also I don't know if they're considering the bundle pack stuff as one unit or multiple units.

Well you beat me to it, but got the number wrong :p 4.1 million :D

Edited by Nintendohnut
Automerged Doublepost

You could buy Greed Corp, jayseven. That's on sale for the same price; I'll probably get it as I have 960MSP.

In other Arcade news, if you go to this website you can nab a free early access code for ilomilo. You'll still need to buy it if you want the full game, of course, but apparently it's very good.

I ended up buying ilomilo, its a great little game and just the 2 player co-op I was looking for after completing Lara Croft with my Daughter.

Sonny released a statement the other day saying that they had sold 4.1 million units worldwide in 2 months, although they then went 'oh yeah, sorry, we meant shipped to stores, not actually sold.

So who knows, basically. I would assume there are at the very least 300,000 sitting in stock rooms world wide, but that is based entirely on speculation and no accurate knowledge at all.

Well you beat me to it, but got the number wrong :p 4.1 million :D

EVERY Sony press release since like, forever has been 'shipped to stores' and not sold. Nintendo do sold to customers from stores and Microsoft tend to be somewhere in the middle, I'm not quite sure.

@Nintendohnut Yea, I caught that and edited it right after posting haha. My bad :P

@Goron_3 apparently the Kinect numbers posted are actual units sold to customers, not units shipped.

Why are gamers so obsessed with sales figures, marketing and financial bullshit? Is it because they use it as some sort of data to formulate a predictive evaluation of what they might be playing in future, or the trajectory gaming is taking? I really fucking doubt this, since most gamers are too stupid to calculate the timing of their next toilet break, but still, why? I don't get it. They talk more about sales figures than the actual content of the games.

Edited by The Bard

because if they picked the winning horse in sales figures, it makes them better!

or not. fuck it.

Decided to give the Bioshock 2 multi-player a shot earlier. It's not too bad.

Why are gamers so obsessed with sales figures, marketing and financial bullshit? Is it because they use it as some sort of data to formulate a predictive evaluation of what they might be playing in future, or the trajectory gaming is taking? I really fucking doubt this, since most gamers are too stupid to calculate the timing of their next toilet break, but still, why? I don't get it. They talk more about sales figures than the actual content of the games.

Maybe because good sales means more money for the company behind it, thus better content in the future? Or that if it's selling well, it's worth buying because it's not going to be dropped in 6 months like HD DVD?

Nice move though, insulting the intelligence of the average gamer on a gaming forum.

I think what The Bard was saying is that gamers fixate on sales numbers more than the followers of any other medium. Just look at how pervasive the reporting of NPD figures has been; it isn't a case of highlighting a game that has done unexpected or unprecedented numbers, it's a monthly check-in.

There's certainly a genuine element of seeing if a game you enjoy is seeing the retail success it deserves, but how many people following the GT5 figures have any intention of even playing the game? How many people were waiting for Kinect to do badly so they could crow about it?

From a publishing perspective sales figures are more important now than they used to be, there's a much higher barrier to profitability in the HD era and the general quality of games has improved so much the market for good, solid games is more contested. However, I don't think you can draw an exact parallel between sales' importance from a financial perspective and their pervasiveness in consumer discussion.

http://rewards.xbox.com/

Sign up and you'll get Microsoft Points for various things like renewing your subscription, buying certain stuff from the XBLM and taking part in surveys.

It costs nothing, and you can just carry on buying as you usually do and get a few free points to spend on stuff.

Edit: It's US/UK only.

Edited by Cube

Just done this,

wonder how often the surveys will be.

It's a "Quick Survey" each month. And you only get 20MS Points for it.

The rewards might be pretty menial but I can see them being useful. I'm sure we've all had those moments where we're left with 780MSP or another inconvenient number.

@The Bard, some of us are trying to get into the video game industry. Generally knowing as much as you can about that industry is helpful. It's also nice to see how the different hardware is selling compared to our own personal feelings about the hardware.

If the hardware is pushing a LOT of units then chances are it's a good product and is worth looking into more as well. It's not at all about a console war or anything like that.... at least not in this thread.

Got Crackdown (hello, 2007!) and just wondering what people's general thoughts/feelings on the game are? Currently I'm no good at getting around the city, and each time I get out of my nice, fast, practically-unbreakable car to chase a green orb I end up spotting another orb, and another, and another and-- oh, wait, where did I park my car again? The reason I'm so attached to it is because whenever I've raced in any other car, the car is either too slow, too fragile, or too hard to handle.

So yeah. Roaming about a bit headless currently. Been playing it in 20 minute bursts. Never been great at sinking house into free-roaming games. Any tips for my focus... or anything?

I remember playing the demo (free on the marketplace, yknow ;)) and finding it pretty dull When I asked what the trick was to enjoying it, was told the whole pull of the game was in its online co-op...which you might be a bit late for.