NEurope
Jamba

The Revolution "Wand"

This is the name that has been adopted for the sensor which sits under you TV and senses the movement of the FHC.

From the recent shot of it we have seen (see Revolution Information Thread for the photo) it looks pretty trange and not very inline with the Rev design. Also Nintendo said that they had not finalised the design for it yet at TGS last year. So my question is what do people think this is going to look like? Will is stay as a bar? Will it have ways of folding up for storage? Just general thoughts and stuff....

I thought there would be 2 sensors stuck to the sides of your TV. The bar is for developers right?

There is only one sensor to place at your TV. I think round is a good shape, I dont see it becoming square. Perhaps it will be a little flat, to become more solid.

pretty sure there is gonna be two sensors, nintendo said that you can either keep them on the bar or stick them to the tv, how thats gonna happen I have no idea.

Er, that 'bar' is for developers to turn thier gamecubes in a jerry-rigged revolution. I got the impression the sensor is gonna be in the product's casing or they would have shown it as a standalone component by now.

I cant think why they would make it external, radio frequencies would be able to travel through a plastic case.

I was abit dissapointed about the bar when I read about ,but it's OK guy's im fine with it now;).Hope they will make it nice and sleek ,which I think they will unless they don't need it anymore.

There is a bar which sits below your tv, or above it. Story-end of.
Quoted for truth.

hands-on-revolution-dev-kit-20060309051620301-000.jpg

It will be a bit more streamlined, it will be hooked up to the Revolution using one of the USB slots probably as there appears to be no proprietary port anymore on the final hardware revision at GDC (compared to the patent images that were found)

It will be the same length and consistent throughout.. because that's what the hardware requires to work functionally. Basically that's it.

Not worth making a thread about. Could've just chucked it in the unFAQ.

Er, that 'bar' is for developers to turn thier gamecubes in a jerry-rigged revolution. I got the impression the sensor is gonna be in the product's casing or they would have shown it as a standalone component by now.
It serves a purpose you pleb.. it detects where the controller is with respect to the players resting position.

That probe looks like a piece of an excersize machine. It is not goint to look like that. At least I hope it isnt.

Well it's not the final design.

But I don't care that much.. I put up with an xbrick under my TV- i can live with that.

I was wondering whether they actually need to be on the bar or not. It would certainly be a more reliable product if they were. I just think it looks like a piece off an ergo machine at the moment. On the flip side I don't want to have two webcam-looking things either side of my TV.

I got the impression the sensor is gonna be in the product's casing or they would have shown it as a standalone component by now.

I cant think why they would make it external, radio frequencies would be able to travel through a plastic case.

Sounds feasable except for the space issue, the revolution is tiny y'know

Sounds feasable except for the space issue, the revolution is tiny y'know

And how would the Rev know where the controller was in comparison to the TV is the sensors are in the console eh?

When you only want to point the controller at the console, you don't need "the wand". But I think most of you would want to point it at your TV.

Remember : this is not a lightgun. A lightgun works by recieving light from the screen etc. etc. etc. Read more about it here

Anyway, the point is : as the revmote is not a lightgun, it must have another way of finding out where you are pointing at.

For me the biggest mistery is how the wand knows where the tv so you can point accuracelly.I mean we have to calibrate that first do you think?

There will be calibration of the pointing device, but because the height, tilt and yaw are all detected by a sonar effect from the revmote synced with the wand there is no need to worry.

It's clever shit.. I'm glad they spent a fair bit of money on it, Matt isn't the kind of person who lies about Nintendo hardware and he said it's solid.

its going to look like a george foreman grill i have foreseen it

This isn't the PS3 thread.:heh:

It serves a purpose you pleb.. it detects where the controller is with respect to the players resting position.

You could calibrate the controller to a neutral point. As long as the controller can pick up movement in every direction and tell what speed its going it can relate its self to this neutral point. It just needs the cpu to work it out.

The wand could just be a big aerial as wavelengths for radio waves are pretty big.

Wouldnt you need 3 points to create a triangulation for the method your suggesting.

I could be wrong though.

Is anyone else excited about all the little bits that'll come in the Revolution package? There's something about getting a product that comes with 'little bits' (e.g. DS - stylus, thumb strap AND charger, that was so great)

I can't wait till I open my Revolution up abnd get that magic feeling taking out all the parts.

But I don't care that much.. I put up with an xbrick under my TV- i can live with that.

so true. In the future your friends (who own a PS3) go to your house to play your Rev and ask "Why the hell is there a bar under your TV?"

Then you answer "Why is there a George Forman Grill under yours.":laughing:

I can't wait till I open my Revolution up abnd get that magic feeling taking out all the parts.

I'll be buying my revo with a box of tissues for when i open the box i will weep like a little girl.

I'll be buying my revo with a box of tissues for when i open the box i will weep like a little girl.
holy crap. i thought you were goin somewhere else with the box of tissues ;)