NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
demonmike04

Animal Forest (Crossing) modified screens

I was just looking around IGN today about information on the orignal Animal crossing for the N64, and some thing caught my eye.

The images they had were all magazine scans, and I noticed some thing in the following picture.

http://uk.media.ign64.ign.com/media/015/015246/img_1266932.html

Noticed anything? Next to the door of the house that belongs to the goat, theres a sign post which you usually read to see who the house belongs to, there are the 4 buttons used to control Playstation.

Now, Im wondering, was this actually in the game? If not, its obviously subliminal advertising by the magazine. Why would a Nintendo developed game have the buttons used to control playstation on a signpost?

There would be no point.

What do you guys think?

it could maybe be the name of they guy that was playing, did they do this in the game, have the name of the character on the sign outside? if so then this could be it.

if this isnt true then it could be subliminal

It was a joke apparently. I remember N64 Mag (NGC) had the screen in there with alittle caption underneath it.

it could maybe be the name of they guy that was playing, did they do this in the game, have the name of the character on the sign outside? if so then this could be it.

if this isnt true then it could be subliminal

It doesnt display the name until you click it with the A button, bringing a message screen with the characters name on it, so it couldnt be that.

It was a joke apparently. I remember N64 Mag (NGC) had the screen in there with alittle caption underneath it.

Oh ok. I just thought how weird to have those buttons in a Nintendo game displayed for all to see, advertising Sony.

Those aren’t modified screens, those symbols are on all of the animals houses in the N64 version of the game. (they changed it on the GCN game to text).

Although it's a lot easier to see on the N64 version, you can just about make them out on the DS too (as it hasn’t been changed like the GCN game) if you look at the sign as you enter a neighbours house, when the camera zooms in it makes it a bit easier to see for a second or two.

As for the reason behind it, well I don't think it's supposed to be any sort of reference to PlayStation, as those symbols actually have common meaning in Japan:

http://www.japanesetranslator.co.uk/portfolio/playstation_symbols/

They were around in Super Mario Sunshine too if I remember correctly.

Oh ok thanks redshell, I had hunch something was wrong so i posted it.

Thanks for clearing it up!

The same symbols can be found in Super Mario world in castle number 8 ( I think) and this was long before the playstation ever came out.

Ah, i can see them in wild world!

All I wanna know is why they put those shapes there? Sure they have common meaning, but it makes no sense to put them on a house. Maybe the HRA highlights one of the shapes to indicate a good/bad house?

Maybe the HRA highlights one of the shapes to indicate a good/bad house?
That is actually a very good theory, but I reckon it's more likely that the developers just needed a quick texture for the signpost and decided to use those symbols as it was the first thing that came to their mind. Maybe it's the Japanese equivalent of squiggly lines to represent alot of text? ::shrug:

That is actually a very good theory, but I reckon it's more likely that the developers just needed a quick texture for the signpost and decided to use those symbols as it was the first thing that came to their mind. Maybe it's the Japanese equivalent of squiggly lines to represent alot of text? ::shrug:

Good point, but squiggly lines rule:grin:

Ah well, im not too bothered about it now, theres really no need to find out why they put that there now.

Lock at will mods!

Sign in to follow this