NEurope
gj15987

Controler losing sight?

So...i dano if this has been asked...but does anyone know what happens if the front of the controler looses sight of the screen? Say if you turn it around so its facing yourself with the back of it to the screen? Cus i was thinkin of like in a sword game, if you're actually emulating full sword swings and you swing too high...what happens if you swing all the way up and the controler can't see the screen?

So...i dano if this has been asked...but does anyone know what happens if the front of the controler looses sight of the screen? Say if you turn it around so its facing yourself with the back of it to the screen? Cus i was thinkin of like in a sword game, if you're actually emulating full sword swings and you swing too high...what happens if you swing all the way up and the controler can't see the screen?

It doesn't work like a light gun, so you really shouldn't worry about that. It'll work just fine.

The Rev senses where the controller is in relation to it and can tell which direction it's facing, as Echo said, it doesn't need to face the screen :)

There is a combination of technologies, RFID tech goes through anything and monitors the depth, breadth, speed, angle and trajectory and stuff.

Then the pointing device is based on movement technology.

I'm not sure what it is.. I've heard I.R, which is why we have the 'wand' sensor that goes above or below the TV

hands-on-revolution-dev-kit-20060309051620301-000.jpg

It's an interesting point of view, we know the system is capable of manging 4 controllers in the 'quadrant' for split screen multiplayer games from the Red Steel announcement- it wouldn't truely be setting us 'free' is we're confined by the size our quadrant.

im guessing hat bar has detection full 360 degrees and any angle. so it could realte any place you have the FHC, even if it is up your arse for some reason onto the screen. oh wait.....no uum yeah.

i keep getting an image of a wand, everytime i hear bar. like a thin neon bar strip type of thing, which sits on two little legs. thats what i think it is, so it can sit on top of your tv

edit:^^^^^ thats exactly what i see i knew ive seen it somewhere before

There is a combination of technologies, RFID tech goes through anything and monitors the depth, breadth, speed, angle and trajectory and stuff.

Then the pointing device is based on movement technology.

I'm not sure what it is.. I've heard I.R, which is why we have the 'wand' sensor that goes above or below the TV

hands-on-revolution-dev-kit-20060309051620301-000.jpg

It's an interesting point of view, we know the system is capable of manging 4 controllers in the 'quadrant' for split screen multiplayer games from the Red Steel announcement- it wouldn't truely be setting us 'free' is we're confined by the size our quadrant.

“Perhaps most impressive is the fact that although splitscreen reduces the amount of onscreen space you are playing in, you don’t have to make smaller movements - you can gesture as wildly as you want, and it won’t interfere with the other player’s onscreen quadrants

From the GI impressions.

The controller knows its position and orientation in space, but to be able to use it effectively, the revolution also needs to know the location and orientation of your TV set (how else does the rev know you're pointing the controller at a certain target on your TV?). That is why there is this "wand" sensor. Well, that's my theory anyway.

In other words : I don't think the controller has to communicate in any way with the wand directly.

Is it not a combination of the two?

It has - 1) the "pointer" on the top of the controller (light-gun style) that correlates with the place on the TV you're aiming and - 2) the bar that determines where in 3D space the controller is and detects the movement and twisting/tilting of the controller.

I thought the "pointer" sensor was only for things like the torch idea they showed off in the trailer. :shrug: I'm guessing that in Red Steel when you use a gun, it uses the pointer sensor for aiming in combination with the others but when you use the word it will probably focus on using the other sensors.

screenshot764cg.jpg

We get in a freaking fight if someone walks in front of the screen when we're having a Smash Bros. tournament.

This is going to get mental for certain games..

not sure about the IR looking bit on the end, but the wand on the TV is needed to calculate the distance you are from the TV. I think it uses a sensor on either end of the wand to triangulate(bad spelling) the position of the controller, the IR might be used to provide more accurate position data when pointed at the screen.

The front of the wand HAS to face the sensor in front of your TV.

In their report in issue 156, EDGE said that during the demo's they had that placing a hand over the front of the conroller interfered with it's function - they didn't specifiy how, howver.

your won;t be throwing it around like in Nintendos demo video either... must games will require sublte movement using the wrist.

The front of the wand HAS to face the sensor in front of your TV.

In their report in issue 156, EDGE said that during the demo's they had that placing a hand over the front of the conroller interfered with it's function - they didn't specifiy how, howver.

your won;t be throwing it around like in Nintendos demo video either... must games will require sublte movement using the wrist.

Are you sure about that (link please). Because that would be a little crap if someone walked infront of the TV or someone in multiplayer deliberately shielded the FHC. I thought this wasn't true.

Are you sure about that (link please). Because that would be a little crap if someone walked infront of the TV or someone in multiplayer deliberately shielded the FHC. I thought this wasn't true.

no I don't have a link to the edge magazine article!

it does make sense.... there is an optical sensor on the front of the FHC and it sends information to the little bar thingie that goes under the telly.

If there is not an opitcal part to it's communication, the sensor wouldn't be there.

I heard about Edge's hands-on with the controller and I wouldn't say it was particularly accurate from what I remember. They do like to bend the truth a little.

I heard about Edge's hands-on with the controller and I wouldn't say it was particularly accurate from what I remember. They do like to bend the truth a little.

you didn;t actually read it then?

i see.

Sorry but there's no IR in the rev controller, it's connected with the bar by bluetooth, but why that little round is on the front of the FHC i don't know/

Sorry but there's no IR in the rev controller, it's connected with the bar by bluetooth, but why that little round is on the front of the FHC i don't know/

I (somewhat) agree.

The controller communicates all of its information via bluetooth. Its the gyroscopes inside the controller which detect, pitch, yaw, angles, roll etc etc then send that information to the revo (or to the sensor bar, then the revo?).

Wikipedia

The controller is also able to sense motion; a sensor placed near the television allows the computer to sense the controller's position in three-dimensional space. Other sensors in the controller itself allow it to sense its tilt and yaw.

Either way, i am not sure what the IR on the front is actually for, has it even been stated that it is IR? I know it looks like it but...? Maybe its function is for stuff like turning off the console etc? Or maybe universal remote for your tv?

My 2C!

Nintendo says that it is also aiming for a broader audiance, like Moms, Dads, Grans, Grandads, etc... However, don't most older people find it more difficult to move their wrists with subtle movements?

Nintendo says that it is also aiming for a broader audiance, like Moms, Dads, Grans, Grandads, etc... However, don't most older people find it more difficult to move their wrists with subtle movements?
not all games will be action based... look at DS, Metroid Prime Ds is not a game for everyone, but Brain Training is.

There will be games where you just got to sit on the couch and relax I guess.

it must be able to sense if the front of the FHC isnt poiting at the screen/bar. what about fishing games? and maybe thatpennant chase baseball (is that it?), if they will become games, then how will we be able to swing the bat or swing the rod. oh and also golf. wasnt there a golf game announced,i think nintendork posted a thread aobutit, however there were only pc screens available.

a more recent example, what about the grande throwing in Red Steel, it says that you can 'bowl' it to roll it on the floor, and also throw it. you must be able to point the sensor away from the screen/bar so that you can get power onthe throw, and momentum.

Also...I never thought about it, but if you're using the controller NES style, your hand is likely going to be covering up the sensor at the front.

I thought that sensor was just on the prototype. I might be wrong though, I didnt look at the new pics in great detail.