NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
ThePigMarcher

N64 Must Buys (please)

OK , after reading through these retro threads , and having given up on the N64 quite early on (foolish me) , I have decided I need an N64 back in my life.

Securing one on ebay will be easy but my request to other members is this:-

I would be grateful if you could list some of the must have titles for this console. I know that the two Zeldas , Goldeneye and Mario 64 are must haves , and there are many others , but I request this as there are bound to be a lost of games I stupidly missed out on or forgotten about.

Cheers people

I'd say Super Smash Bros., but to me, the experience on GameCube will make the N64 version look and play very outdated. The sad thing is, I can't really recommend any other great games that I've played apart from the ones you said yourself!

i would say harvest moon, cos i love that game but it didnt come out in europe, so i dont know how it plays. i looked all over in america for it, couldnt find it.

goldeneye, get force gemini, and lylat wars were some of my games i liked, shame i got rid of my n64 for my gc

If you enjoyed Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, you should try to find its predecessor, Paper Mario.

Also get Mario Tennis. Enjoyment will be yours :).

Oooohhhh, well, Mario Kart 64, Lylat Wars, Perfect Dark, Banjo-Kazooie, Mario Golf (even if you don't like golf, it's damn fun), F-Zero X and 1080 Snowboarding are great buys. Beetle Adventure Racing is also great if you're looking for a more serious racer.

Oooohhhh, well, Mario Kart 64, Lylat Wars, Perfect Dark, Banjo-Kazooie, Mario Golf (even if you don't like golf, it's damn fun), F-Zero X and 1080 Snowboarding are great buys. Beetle Adventure Racing is also great if you're looking for a more serious racer.

Yep :P Banjo-Tooie too and Goldeneye

I absolutely loved Pokemon Snap - its shockingly addictive, even for non-Pokemon fans. A relatively untapped genre if you ask me.

Yes! Finally! Someone agrees. Nice relaxing game too.

Must Buys; (other than Zelda and Mario)

Goldeneye,

Perfect Dark,

F-Zero X,

Mario Tennis,

Diddy Kong Racing (better than Mario Kart 64 IMO),

Banjo Kazooie,

Beetle Adventure Racing (many people missed out on this i think, but it is an Amazing racer!!),

Yoshi Story (for as close to 2D mario as your gonna get on the N64),

well for me it would be:

zelda oot

goldeneye

mario kart 64

star wars rogue squadron

mario 64

lylat wars

perfect dark

diddy kong racing (the multiplayer is awesome, love the plane one when you gotta collect the dino eggs) ooh i wanna play this now

In all fairness you just gotta pick up all the 1st and 2nd party games and you will hav ejust about all the gems on the N64 as the 3rd party support was very poor and lacking.

Diddy Kong Racing

Mario 64

Goldeneye

Perfect Dark

F Zero X

Snowboard Kids

Mario Kart 64

No Mercy

Blast Corps

Jet Force Gemini

Silicon Valley 64

Zelda OoT

ISS64

Get them. :)

I'd recommend Rayman 2: The Great Escape. It's really fun and engaging. The graphics are superb and there are plenty of memorable tunes in it too. It's been ported too DS, but very poorly. So if you you had to choose, pick the n64 version. All the games above this post are great too.

Yes! Finally! Someone agrees. Nice relaxing game too.

Who doesn't like Pokemon Snap? I've never met anyone who doesn't like it... EVER!

If you can get over it's uglyness, Body Harvest is actually a very good and deep game. It just has some minor problems.

And of course you can't ignore the diamonds of the old N64: Mario Party, Mario Party 2 and Mario Party 3! According to me number two is the best of this trio. Nothing beats Mario in a western outfit!

imo, JFG is very poor/ I wouldn't touch it with a 10ft pole.

Anywho; I too am in N64 mode, and here are what I have got;

Zelda:OOT

Zelda:MM

Mario 64

Mission Impossible

Turok 2

1080 Snowboarding

Iss 98

Getting;

Sin and Punishment

Harvest Moon

Mario Kart 64

Perfect Dark

Goldeneye

Conker

PAper Mario

Mischief Makers

Blast Corps

F-Zero X

WWF No Mercy(or WCW/NWO Revenge)

Virtua Pro Wrestling 2

imo, JFG is very poor/ I wouldn't touch it with a 10ft pole.

Anywho; I too am in N64 mode, and here are what I have got;

Zelda:OOT

Zelda:MM

Mario 64

Mission Impossible

Turok 2

1080 Snowboarding

Iss 98

Getting;

Sin and Punishment

Harvest Moon

Mario Kart 64

Perfect Dark

Goldeneye

Conker

PAper Mario

Mischief Makers

Blast Corps

F-Zero X

WWF No Mercy(or WCW/NWO Revenge)

Virtua Pro Wrestling 2

I completely utterly disagree. Sure the controls are a bit fiddly at first, anyone who chooses to use the crappy GTA style running about semi auto targeting craps, is a fool. Staying in the manual aiming mode, and using the C buttons to move, is by far the best way to control it. the boss battles are epic, especially the final fight. And to top it off, Floyd kicks Dr Carols floaty robot behind! 'Spose some people are just missing out :p

Jet Force Gemini was one of my most favourite games when I had my N64. I also recommend that you pick it up. The soundtrack to that game kicks arse aswell, and still stands tall to this very day.

And yes, Pokemon Snap was a brilliant piece of gaming on a cartridge. My little sister got it for Christmas one year, and she loved it so much........although I rivalled her for the amount of play time on it. :heh:

Just make sure you go and pick up all the usual suspects in which people have posted above. Especially games like Majoras Mask, Blast Corps, Lylat Wars, Space Station Silicon Valley (made by the original GTA team I believe), and F-Zero...........you won't be dissapointed by any of these games.

Lylat wars

Perfect Dark

Conker

Jet Force Gemini

Donkey Kong

Rogue Squadren

1080 Snowboarding

F-1 World Grand Prix

Star Wars Episode I: Racer

The Turoks

Mario Kart 64

Diddy Kong Racing