NEurope
KKOB

Doctor Who

It would be a bit late in their story to mean anything more significant! :p

River's just saying they need to get them home.

Simply enough to me

"So... Rory and Amy then..."

is just basically... 'have you forgotten we need to get them back/they have lives to get on with, instead of wasting time doing this'.

And then the rest is self explanitory.

Yeah, I get that, it's just the way she says it that makes me feel there's more to it. I guess I'm just always trying to read into things. :heh:

Well if he had to die and be buried there then surely they could save him and then when he's 81 take him back in time and solve that....

There are ways round this, i just find it a bit of a bitter sweat ending and rather unfair on them. As for being a fixed point in time i just don't like that idea, as Amy in herself going back in time alters that so there obviously was leeway for time travel to still occur. Too many times in doctor who do we get instances of fixed points as explanations, then other times they change history, or lock time, or have years that never were, or erase knowledge of themselves from time (which would surely alter past occurrences....). I think as they try to be more complex they open up far too many plot holes, a simple ending would be for them to leave the doctor, they'd died enough

I'm pretty sure that The Doctor could go and visit them. However, he knows that he wouldn't be able to risk the temptation of taking them on another adventure. And if something were to happen to one of them...bye bye New York.

Yeah, I get that, it's just the way she says it that makes me feel there's more to it. I guess I'm just always trying to read into things. :heh:

She wanted the Doctor all to herself :bouncy:

There was one thought that did pop into my head whilst watching the end of this (unless I missed something), how did River get Amy to write that page at the end of Melody Malone? I mean, I know how she did it but how did she actually get her to write it without giving it away that she'll be in that room with Rory? Because the afterword seemed to be pretty final...

My views on the episode: This was not only the best Matt Smith episode but also the best Angels episode and is close to being my favourite Doctor Who episode...but nothing can beat that tearjerker in Season 2 with Tennant and Rose although I will admit, the ending of this came pretty close.

There was one thought that did pop into my head whilst watching the end of this (unless I missed something), how did River get Amy to write that page at the end of Melody Malone? I mean, I know how she did it but how did she actually get her to write it without giving it away that she'll be in that room with Rory? Because the afterword seemed to be pretty final...

What room?

She was in the room with old Rory long before she ever wrote the book. If that's what you mean? In her timeline she finds old Rory dying, tries to save her Rory, they both get sent back then she writes the book.

The future with old Rory in the room was changed, so it won't happen. After River has written the book, she'll send it to Amy in the 1930s to get it published with a note that she should write an afterword for the Doctor.

The future with old Rory in the room was changed, so it won't happen. After River has written the book, she'll send it to Amy in the 1930s to get it published with a note that she should write an afterword for the Doctor.

Not to mention Amy & Rory already knew it all so it's all good

So when the book was published, Amy already knew it was going to happen?

Also, what I meant was that with the afterword Amy wrote, it sounded really final. As if she was actually saying goodbye to the Doctor but she couldn't have known she was saying goodbye forever to him...or did she?

So when the book was published, Amy already knew it was going to happen?

Also, what I meant was that with the afterword Amy wrote, it sounded really final. As if she was actually saying goodbye to the Doctor but she couldn't have known she was saying goodbye forever to him...or did she?

She did. Before she went back in time, the Doctor and River both told her that they can't get Rory back and that's why she went back in time, knowing they wouldn't see eachother again

I know that Amy wouldn't ever see the Doctor again once the Angel touched her but I meant when Amy wrote the afterword, did she know that everything would happen the way it did (like Rory finalising the timeline by reading his gravestone, Amy being touched by the Angel, etc)? Did she know, at the time of writing the afterword, that that would happen and that she would never see the Doctor again?

When River said to the Doctor she'll get Amy to write an afterword, when River went to Amy, did Amy actually know she'd be saying goodbye to the Doctor forever? I thought this may have been the case because of River pushing Amy to blink after Rory got touched by the Angel.

I know that Amy wouldn't ever see the Doctor again once the Angel touched her but I meant when Amy wrote the afterword

Amy wrote the afterword after the Angel touched her.

Amy wrote the afterword after the Angel touched her.

So how did River get to Amy if it was impossible to get back to that time again? I thought The Doctor said it would be impossible to get back to that time so how did River manage it? Was it with her Vortex Manipulator or something? Sorry for all the dumb questions but it's not so clear to me, lmao.

It's not impossible go get back to them later (or elsewhere) - it's just that from the gravestone that they know they die in the past. As we saw from The Power of Three, The Doctor can't simply pay them a visit, and he can't risk taking them on an adventure. So he takes that as a sign that he'll never see them again and he knows they don't return from the past.

River, on the other hand, can pay them a visit without needing an adventure. So she has no problem visiting them.

Alternatively, River could have gone to say Milwaukee and posted the book and details

It's not impossible go get back to them later (or elsewhere) - it's just that from the gravestone that they know they die in the past. As we saw from The Power of Three, The Doctor can't simply pay them a visit, and he can't risk taking them on an adventure. So he takes that as a sign that he'll never see them again and he knows they don't return from the past.

River, on the other hand, can pay them a visit without needing an adventure. So she has no problem visiting them.

We still disagree on this. I don't buy the "the Doctor can't visit them because he'd simply take them on another adventure" theory. It's too thin. In my opinion it's heavily implied that Rory and Amy's fixed timeline is closed off from time travellers, meaning they literally won't be able to see the Doctor ever again - nor River, I believe; she mentions she'll send the book to Amy for publication, and the way the Doctor apologises to her heavily suggests she won't be able to see them again, either.

The book, however, has already been written and published, so it's already part of the timeline.

I'm glad the two of them are gone personally. But as much as I love weeping angel episodes this was a weak one.

Seriously? Statue of liberty can move unseen? Bullshit!!

The statue of liberty was a bit over the top. What about all the tour groups that walk around inside it every day?

We still disagree on this. I don't buy the "the Doctor can't visit them because he'd simply take them on another adventure" theory. It's too thin. In my opinion it's heavily implied that Rory and Amy's fixed timeline is closed off from time travellers, meaning they literally won't be able to see the Doctor ever again - nor River, I believe; she mentions she'll send the book to Amy for publication, and the way the Doctor apologises to her heavily suggests she won't be able to see them again, either.

The book, however, has already been written and published, so it's already part of the timeline.

Yeah thatwould go along with what The Doctor says back on The Tardis... something like 'I'm sorry River, they were your parents, I hadn't even thought' or something.

But whilst he could be appologising for the fact she won't be able to see them again, it could also be simply for what he's just put Amy and Rory through.

Actually if River could never see them again, maybe they'd have shown her more distraught?