NEurope
KKOB

Doctor Who

It was never going to be someone famous, but Simon Pegg would have been awesome!

Also thought about Alan Davis, who would have looked the part, but don't think he'd of been right for it.

Will have to wait before I judge this new guy, but he does look wierd and far too young, but still!

Roll on EMO Who! *sings* Eeeeeemo Whooooo, Emo Who, Emo Who..... *sings*

EDIT:

Also, how old is his assistant gonna be!! They're traditionally younger, but it won't be by much now!

You can bet he'll never get an older assistant like Donna because it would come across just like his mother and would not work!

Maybe they are setting it up for the Doctors Daughter to be his companion? and would be a fitting age.

Yeah I'd not thought about the assistant!! They are gonna struggle to get a younger one :D but Simon Pegg to me would really not have worked, he just hasn't got the right look in my eyes and feeling around him! I'm pretty happy with the look of the new doctor, seems a nice guy, although he does say flabbergasted twice in his interview, great word but twice in too much!!

new assistant is ex EastEnders star Michelle Ryan?

28co7sl.jpg

Michelle Ryan has entered "secret talks" to become Doctor Who's new assistant, according to a report today.

The Sunday Mirror claims that Ryan will join the Eleventh Doctor Matt Smith for the show's fifth series in 2010.

A source told the newspaper: "Michelle's been in secret talks with BBC bosses. They are likely to announce her as Doctor Who's new assistant very soon. She is perfect for the role.

"She is good-looking and the right age to star alongside Matt. Everyone agrees they look great together and reckon fans will think they're the perfect team too."

Ryan, 24, is best known for playing EastEnders' Zoe Slater from 2000 to 2005. She also had the lead part in NBC's short-lived Bionic Woman remake, which aired in 2007.

Shes...got some talent.

Acting just doesn't happen to fall into that list though does it - something I would have imagined to have been a prerequisite for not only this role, but any.

When did it become mandatory for all companions to be female? I want Bill Nighy!

its good to have a female compianion as the doctor is a bloke they both contrast eachother

Acting just doesn't happen to fall into that list though does it - something I would have imagined to have been a prerequisite for not only this role, but any.

Ain't that the truth.

When did it become mandatory for all companions to be female? I want Bill Nighy!

Since they rebooted the show as Doctor Who and girlfriend.

Donna was a "mate" and I did quite enjoy that change in dynamic.

They've had male side companions but no I can't imagine they'd have a permanent male companion. Too much of a saussage fest.

Michelle Ryan looks set to become the next Doctor Who companion after landing a plum role in the show's Easter special.

The former EastEnders actress will appear in Planet of the Dead, which will be broadcast on BBC1 in April.

She will play Lady Christina de Souza, who accompanies David Tennant's Doctor on a dangerous bus trip.

Comedian Lee Evans will also make a cameo appearance.

Executive producer Russell T Davies said: 'The script is being kept strictly under wraps - however we can reveal that Lady Christina is a woman with a mysterious past who's going to have a huge impact on the Doctor.'

article-1126616-0326320B000005DC-845_468x362.jpg

article-1126616-0326356D000005DC-18_468x346.jpg

The Easter special is one of four stand-alone episodes of the show to be broadcast this year. In each, the Doctor will have a different companion.

However, BBC bosses have not yet announced who will star alongside new Doctor Matt Smith in the 2010 series.

Show insiders said that Miss Ryan, 24, is a key contender to play Mr Smith's assistant.

'They are likely to announce her as Doctor Who's new assistant very soon.

'She is perfect for the role. She is good looking and the right age to star alongside Matt.

'Everyone agrees they look great together and reckon fans will think they're the perfect team too.'

The source added: 'The BBC launched Michelle's acting career as Zoe Slater in EastEnders and she will be thrilled to be back with them in such a legendary role.

'It's an incredible opportunity for her and even though she's had a lot of success already she is still young and at the start of her career.'

Doctor Who bosses have a habit for re-using characters and even actors.

Freema Agyeman, who took over the assistant role from Billie Piper, initially played the guest character Adeola in an earlier series.

Catherine Tate originally featured in a Doctor Who Christmas special as a guest star, but her performance was such a hit that producers asked her to return for the fourth series.

Miss Ryan unsuccessfully auditioned to replace Miss Piper when she left the programme.

However, it is understood that she has impressed Mr Davies with her work since.

Michelle recently returned from LA, where she played the starring role in TV series Bionic Woman.

But the show flopped and was not commissioned for a second series and the actress - already suffering jibes about her lack of star status and unconvincing American accent - was soon on a plane home.

Zimbabwe accused of hoarding the missing Doctor Who episodes! Fantastic. :D

The BBC are also planning a Doctor Who stage show. Not convinced on how that's going to work, but then again the Lord of the Rings stage show was spectacular. But then again, I doubt the BBC will have a budget that big.

There's also an American reworking of Doctor Who due for release this year - fan-made, of course.

http://www.doctorwho2009.com/home.php

Michelle Ryan looks set to become the next Doctor Who companion after landing a plum role in the show's Easter special.

The former EastEnders actress will appear in Planet of the Dead, which will be broadcast on BBC1 in April.

She will play Lady Christina de Souza, who accompanies David Tennant's Doctor on a dangerous bus trip.

Comedian Lee Evans will also make a cameo appearance.

Executive producer Russell T Davies said: 'The script is being kept strictly under wraps - however we can reveal that Lady Christina is a woman with a mysterious past who's going to have a huge impact on the Doctor.'

article-1126616-0326320B000005DC-845_468x362.jpg

article-1126616-0326356D000005DC-18_468x346.jpg

The Easter special is one of four stand-alone episodes of the show to be broadcast this year. In each, the Doctor will have a different companion.

However, BBC bosses have not yet announced who will star alongside new Doctor Matt Smith in the 2010 series.

Show insiders said that Miss Ryan, 24, is a key contender to play Mr Smith's assistant.

'They are likely to announce her as Doctor Who's new assistant very soon.

'She is perfect for the role. She is good looking and the right age to star alongside Matt.

'Everyone agrees they look great together and reckon fans will think they're the perfect team too.'

The source added: 'The BBC launched Michelle's acting career as Zoe Slater in EastEnders and she will be thrilled to be back with them in such a legendary role.

'It's an incredible opportunity for her and even though she's had a lot of success already she is still young and at the start of her career.'

Doctor Who bosses have a habit for re-using characters and even actors.

Freema Agyeman, who took over the assistant role from Billie Piper, initially played the guest character Adeola in an earlier series.

Catherine Tate originally featured in a Doctor Who Christmas special as a guest star, but her performance was such a hit that producers asked her to return for the fourth series.

Miss Ryan unsuccessfully auditioned to replace Miss Piper when she left the programme.

However, it is understood that she has impressed Mr Davies with her work since.

Michelle recently returned from LA, where she played the starring role in TV series Bionic Woman.

But the show flopped and was not commissioned for a second series and the actress - already suffering jibes about her lack of star status and unconvincing American accent - was soon on a plane home.

I have bolded some stuff that worries me slightly. If we are to have a different companion for each special, where is the context for his regeneration, if he regenerates alone it doesn't work as it makes no odds to anyone. If he regenerates with someone he barely knows then likewise it kinda falls apart, it needs someone who is "attached" to him to be bothered about him becoming someone else.

I have a question regarding the new Doctor Who series and it's spin offs: where do the spin off series fit, in terms of narrative?

Having missed most of the episodes on the original broadcast of the series, I'm now watching them on dvd, and I would like to watch the spin off series as well, but I'm clueless on when I should start watching them.

you're asking for the chronology of a series where the characters time travel?

I'd suggest Who series 1, followed by torchwood 1, doctor who 2, sarah jane 1, doctor who 3, torchwood 2 doctor who 4, sarah jane 2.

Foam

So when is this special episode going down? Easter Weekend? I must admit I've been looking forward to seeing some more Dr Who, even if it's just one ep, it's been too long.

you're asking for the chronology of a series where the characters time travel?

I'd suggest Who series 1, followed by torchwood 1, doctor who 2, sarah jane 1, doctor who 3, torchwood 2 doctor who 4, sarah jane 2.

Thanks. Since I'm not located in the UK, I have no clue when the spin offs started being broadcast.

By the way, do you know where the animated special fits in?

The animated episode, The Infinite Quest was shown over 13 weeks in small bite-size 5min episode during run of Series 3 (as part of the rubbish studio based Totally Doctor Who magazine show).

Don't think it is known where it fits in- but might i suggest watching it before Blink?

Just caught a trailer for the new Easter Special prior to the Apprentice starting. Looks like it's set on a hot sandy planet.

Having finished Season 4 of House last night, that trailer reminded me so much of the season's finale. Looks okay. Hope the lack of an enviroment doesn't mean a lack of set-pieces.

The Ashes to Ashes trailer after The Apprentice was awesome.

Nice trailer. Reminds me of the episode without Donna where the Doctor went off sightseeing which was one of my favourites. :hehe: I wouldn't worry Welshie, I'm sure it won't be "low budget" with a lack of special effects and set pieces as they generally make a big effort for these specials!

Well I really enjoyed that Doctor Who and I would love to see Michelle Ryan back in it at some point. I thought she worked really well.