NEurope
KKOB

Doctor Who

Probably just an in-joke because RTD only uses about five different surnames and im guessing someone in the episode Strider mentions was called Cooper.

Nah the actress who plays Gwen Cooper in Torchwood was a maid (or something like that) in one of the Eccleston Episodes where they went to Cardiff in the past. I thought it was pretty funny the way they managed to make it into a joke rather than something where we would all go "cant beleive they cast the same person in two roles" or something like that

Hmm I presumed that but IMDB failed me. Curses!

Although they never explained Freema :P

They did explain Freema, in her first episode she mentions she had a cousin who worked in Torchwood London who died.

Also the character from Cardiff, Gwens ancestor was called Gweneth

Nah the actress who plays Gwen Cooper in Torchwood was a maid (or something like that) in one of the Eccleston Episodes where they went to Cardiff in the past. I thought it was pretty funny the way they managed to make it into a joke rather than something where we would all go "cant beleive they cast the same person in two roles" or something like that

AAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh....! </realization aah>

fantastical! thank you dohnut :smile:

There going to be a special mini-episode "Doctor Who: Proms Cutaway" on 27 July.

Davros and a Dalek in series finale Journey's End. Speculation was rife that the Doctor would have a new face by the end of the episode

The peak of 9.8m accounted for 47 per cent of the total television audience, and was some 300,000 more than watched the first episode of the series in April.

The strong figures followed a week of speculation that the episode could have been the last featuring David Tennant in the title role. Rumours that he was about to quit were sparked by the penultimate episode in the series, aired last week, when the character began to regenerate.

This usually signals the moment when the role is passed onto another actor.

Article continues

advertisement

But last night’s episode, packed with twists and special effects, saw the Doctor recover and see off the Dalek hordes who planned to destroy every other life form in existence with a reality bomb.

A BBC spokesman said: "We're absolutely delighted with last night's figures and viewers can now look forward to the Christmas special."

However, Tennant's long-term future as the Time Lord remains uncertain. He will star in a Doctor Who Christmas special this year and another three specials next year, but is not confirmed for the next full series of the show, scheduled for 2010.

The series has been postponed so that the star, who is the tenth actor to feature in the role, can take to the stage to play Hamlet with the Royal Shakespeare Company.

Last night marked the end of the fourth series of the show following its return in 2005. The latest instalments have been an enormous success for the BBC, reguarly pulling in audiences in excess of six million, despite many in the television industry believing the character was past his sell-by date, and that the era of family viewing had also died.

The end of the thirteen-part series marked the end of a special era in Doctor Who’s history. It was the last complete series to be overseen by Russell T Davies, the writer who masterminded the reinvention of the character in 2005.

Davies will write and produce the Christmas Day special and will be involved in four other one-off episodes. Apart from these there will be no further episodes of Doctor Who made until 2010, when Steven Moffat, who has worked on some of the show’s most famous episodes, will mastermind a new series.

But the show devised by Davies became a phenomenon, pulling in massive audiences and producing two spin-off series. Last year’s Christmas Day special, which co-starred Kylie Minogue, was watched by more than 13 million people.

But Davies is famous for springing surprises and no-one is ruling out the fact that Tennant might yet survive in the role. Fans of the actor have pointed out that he has been seen filming the Christmas special.

Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart in The Sarah Jane Adventures. :)

brig001.jpg

DOCTOR WHO PROM

A family concert featuring music from the BBC's Doctor Who series, and including a specially filmed scene, written by Russell T Davies and starring David Tennant.

There's also a selection of classical favourites with a strong flavour of time and space. Join Freema Agyeman (aka Martha Jones), and others from the Doctor Who cast, for an intergalactic musical adventure - with a little help from Daleks, Cybermen and other aliens from the series!

Programme to include:

Murray Gold Concert Prologue* (3 mins)

Copland Fanfare for the Common Man (3 mins)

Murray Gold All The Strange Strange Creatures* (4 mins)

Mark-Anthony Turnage The Torino Scale (UK premiere) (4 mins)

Holst The Planets - Jupiter (8 mins)

Murray Gold The Doctor Forever* (4.30 mins)

Murray Gold Rose* (1.30 mins)

Murray Gold Martha v The Master* (4.30 mins)

Murray Gold Music of the Spheres (including theme original)* (7.30 mins)

Wagner Die Walküre - The Ride of the Valkyries (5 mins)

Murray Gold The Daleks & Davros* (8 mins)

Murray Gold Donna, Girl in Fireplace, Astrid* (4 mins)

Prokofiev 'Montagues and Capulets' from Romeo and Juliet (5 mins)

Murray Gold This is Gallifrey* (3.30 mins)

Murray Gold Doctor's Theme / Song for Freedom * (5.30 mins)

Murray Gold Doomsday* (5 mins)

Murray Gold Song for Ten* (4 mins)

Murray Gold Doctor Who Theme* (1.30 mins)

There will be one interval

Freema Agyeman presenter

with Daleks and Cybermen

Tennant's just announced on the National TV Awards that he will not be playing the Doctor in series 5 of Doctor Who. The four specials next year will be his last, unfortunately.

Tennant's just announced on the National TV Awards that he will not be playing the Doctor in series 5 of Doctor Who. The four specials next year will be his last, unfortunately.

Just saw that aswell, shame.

I really hope they get someone great to replace him

Looks like the four specials for him didnt work to keep him on.

David Tennant has announced his decision to quit Doctor Who at the end of 2009.

The actor confirmed the news while collecting the award for 'Outstanding Drama Performance' at the National Television Awards.

"In January I go back to make four new specials which take Doctor Who through to the end of 2009," he said. "But when Doctor Who returns in 2010, it won't be with me. The 2009 shows will be my last playing the Doctor."

Tennant added: "If I don't take a deep breath now and move on, I never will. I think it's best I don't outstay my welcome."

BBC

David Tennant is to stand down as Doctor Who, after becoming one of the most popular Time Lords in the history of the BBC science fiction show.

Tennant stepped into the Tardis in 2005, and will leave the role after four special episodes are broadcast next year.

Three years was "about the right time" to play the role, he told the BBC.

He made the announcement after winning the outstanding drama performance prize at the National Television Awards.

"I think it's better to go when there's a chance that people might miss you, rather than to hang around and outstay your welcome," he said.

I don't ever want it to feel like a job, so I want to move on when it still feels exciting and fresh

His stint in the show had been "the most extraordinary time, it's been bewildering, life changing, very exciting", he said.

"And just so much fun, such a great show to work on.

"That's one of the reasons I think it's right to take a deep breath and bow out when it's still fun, when it's a novelty.

"I don't ever want it to feel like a job, so I want to move on when it still feels exciting and fresh and that means I'll miss it."

Tennant, the 10th actor to play the Doctor Who, left fans guessing about his return at the end of the latest series.

David Tennant beat co-star Catherine Tate at the National Television Awards

In the last episode, in July, the Doctor had to defeat his enemies the Daleks to save the universe.

Almost 10 million people watched as the Time Lord apparently started the process of regeneration - but did not complete it.

Tennant will appear in a Christmas special, titled The Next Doctor, before filming four more specials in January.

Sad news, but understandable. I wasn't expecting him to do a full 5th series anyway.

Yeah, I saw him announce this on the TV awards there tonight. Sad. :( I was hoping to get atleast one more full series out of Tennant under the new writer, but alas its not to be. He's been a great Doctor so I'm hoping these specials are gonna give him a fitting send off.

Tennant was good as the Doctor, but by the end of series 4 I'd had enough of him, really. I was more disappointed when I found out Catherine Tate wouldn't be coming back, to be honest - she was superb in series 4.

drwho only has two regenerations left now

They won't end the series, there will be something they'll use to keep him going (like the use of his hand in one of the finale episodes' cliffhangers).

It's not hard to see why he's decided to call time, he can probably get any acting job in the western hemisphere he wants now. The next doc's got a hell of a job matching up to him though.

Julian Rhind-Tutt should totally be the 11th Doctor now that Tennant is leaving. He could nail the role perfectly and is one of only a handful of people who would manage to win over the audience after Tennant

NOOOOO!

The Christmas Invasion was the first episode of Doctor Who that I saw. Tennant is my Doctor...I don't want to see him replaced.

I was also sure that he would stay on for another season...I thought that the reason for no proper specials was that he was busy with Hamlet. Still, I look forward to whatever he's going to do next.

James Callis for number 11!