NEurope
KKOB

Doctor Who

Enjoyed the episode. Loved the referance to the New Earth shop joke thing.

Do what?

John Simms finest lines ever (until he dropped into the 'I do anything for cash' scenario).

Enjoyed the episode. Loved the referance to the New Earth shop joke thing.

Well spotted Cube.

The new girl is just Billie Piper, but black with a bigger bum anyway, I thought I was going to be missing out.

I personally didn't see anything wrong with her bum, after close inspection.

Dear lord RTD needs to get a better catalogue of witty pop culture references. 'Mr Stoker' made me cringe.

I'll leave it to someone else, see if im not the only one who got it.

Yeah, as in Bram Stoker. It was rubbish.

And to elaborate on that; Bram Stoker was the author of Dracula. And the old lady was sucking his blood... Wouldn't have been so bad if the old lady named herself Mrs Stoker because then its a self-referential joke, with the doctor (surely he was a doctor, but everyone referred to him as mister) it was a bad reference. He should have been called Dr. Acula ;)

(surely he was a doctor, but everyone referred to him as mister)

Surgeons don't use the title doctor, always mister.

But yeah, really poor reference, but what do you expect, he is a really poor writer, the only reason I can think for him getting where he is now is because BBC stands for bum bandits collective.

Didn't he approach the BBC about it. From the BBC's point of view he was the writer of some good stuff (his other work was better to be fair) and Doctor Who is a huge profitmaker so why not?

the only reason I can think for him getting where he is now is because BBC stands for bum bandits collective.

Thus the root of rokhed's dislike of the new series is revealed - he's afraid the Doctor's going to catch The Gay, forcing him to regenerate into Mr Humphries.

Didn't he approach the BBC about it. From the BBC's point of view he was the writer of some good stuff (his other work was better to be fair) and Doctor Who is a huge profitmaker so why not?

Sounds to me like he just used the fans of the show to get it remade the way he wanted it. If the show didn't have such a strong fanbase there's no way he could have got it remade on the strength of his previous works. No doubt it has been a commercial success his way he decided, I just think it could have been just as much of a success if it'd stayed closer to its roots.

Thus the root of rokhed's dislike of the new series is revealed - he's afraid the Doctor's going to catch The Gay, forcing him to regenerate into Mr Humphries.

Nothing to do with it, his sexuality isn't the problem, I just don't think anybody should use sexual favours to further their career, no matter what their persuasion, and judging from what's been shown on screen RTDs talents obviously don't include writing decent science fiction. Fair enough he got the job originally on his reputation as a writer, albeit not in the same genre, but judging from the poor quality of his scifi output there's no way he could have kept his position without some sort of gratification.

Yeah, he did used to write for Chucklevision. Which is a TV classic, I don't care what anyone says.

Yeah, he did used to write for Chucklevision. Which is a TV classic, I don't care what anyone says.

I was thinknig Queer as Folk and that TV film about Christ's second coming, possibly called The Second Coming which starred Christopher Eccleston but yeah, Chucklevision. It deserves an Emmy or something...

Nothing to do with it, his sexuality isn't the problem, I just don't think anybody should use sexual favours to further their career, no matter what their persuasion, and judging from what's been shown on screen RTDs talents obviously don't include writing decent science fiction. Fair enough he got the job originally on his reputation as a writer, albeit not in the same genre, but judging from the poor quality of his scifi output there's no way he could have kept his position without some sort of gratification.

Why "bum bandits" though? Julie Gardner gives the show the green light, and even though she looks like a man, I'm sure she isn't actually one, so Davies wouldn't be into that.

I'd imagine the gratification is the ratings. It is a ratings winner and at the end of the day it all comes down to ratings rather than quality (unfortunatly in most cases)

I normally find DW isn't as good upon second viewing. But I quite liked this one upon another visitation.

I'm cautiously optimistic about season 3.

Why "bum bandits"

It just fit with BBC easily.

I'd imagine the gratification is the ratings. It is a ratings winner and at the end of the day it all comes down to ratings rather than quality (unfortunatly in most cases)

If it was any other channel and not just Doctor Who I'd agree. But ratings aren't as important to the BBC, they aren't dependent on them for their income unlike channels that advertize, and his other shows, such as Torchwood, can't possibly have done well enough to justify another series, but they're still making it. I really do think it's a case of 'you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours' going on with this.

and his other shows, such as Torchwood.

Not true, on Torchwoods timeslot it was pulling in sometimes up to six million viewers.

What annoys me is, why the latest season of Doctor Who wasn't broadcasted on BBC HD!