NEurope
KKOB

Doctor Who

2 hours ago, Magnus said:

It's a children's TV show about a time-traveling alien. If kids can deal with mutant ninja turtles, they can deal with the Doctor regenerating as a woman.

And I don't think it's a genuine question. I think you're upset about your childhood hero becoming a heroine, and you're hiding behind "what about the kids?!" to try to defend what is really a pretty silly thing to be upset about. :heh:

I'm not upset just it is a very strange place to find yourself in. I work with ASD diagnosed teenagers/young adults  who I can guarantee will ask me about it and find it confusing!

18 minutes ago, flameboy said:

I'm not upset just it is a very strange place to find yourself in. I work with ASD diagnosed teenagers/young adults  who I can guarantee will ask me about it and find it confusing!

I don't know a huge amount about autism, but isn't change often confusing/unsettling to them?  How did they respond to the last time the doctor was changed as that was a significant visual/age change?  Same gender, sure, but it was still a change that could cause confusion if the 'trigger' (for want of a better word) is "this is not what it is before, why?".

As long as the acting and plot are good, I don't really care about the gender of this new doctor. Having said that I stopped watching Doctor Who pretty much after David Tennant left. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Sméagol said:

I can't believe this has turned into a boring discussion about gender issues and other boring stuff.

I'm curious how Rokhed (or whatever his name was) would have responded to all this.

And, in terms of the role model thing, couldn't you also say that girls deserve a chance to be able to "look up" to The Doctor and have the feeling of wanting to be her?

59 minutes ago, Cube said:

I'm curious how Rokhed (or whatever his name was) would have responded to all this.

Dramatically

I always thought of Dr. Who as a slightly higher budget kids show and the childish reaction from men has done nothing to dissuade that view.

"But the doctor is MY role model." 

Unfortunately, if you are a straight, white, male who has issues with stuff like this you're going to have a hard time in the coming years. You're going to have to learn to share. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Ashley said:

I don't know a huge amount about autism, but isn't change often confusing/unsettling to them?  How did they respond to the last time the doctor was changed as that was a significant visual/age change?  Same gender, sure, but it was still a change that could cause confusion if the 'trigger' (for want of a better word) is "this is not what it is before, why?".

You know what that's a good point. You right in that the face change would be enough to cause the same trigger (just for you, we do use known triggers as a turn of phrase or known antecedents when discussing behavioural patterns)  I didn't work with a lot of the same people I do now so when we went from Matt Smith - Peter Capaldi it wasn't a discussion I had. We'll see when I see some of the people in my program over the next few days. 

Anyway, this thread has to move on some day so here is a new pic that's doing the rounds;

000259646hr.jpg?itok=TMtR2TAB

Not a lot to it...I can't help but feel this episode is somehow going to bring both Doctors to the realisation that they must regenerate and carry on.

53 minutes ago, flameboy said:

Not a lot to it...I can't help but feel this episode is somehow going to bring both Doctors to the realisation that they must regenerate and carry on.

I'm thinking that it will be a bit like "It's a Wonderful Life" with 12 showing 1 what would happen if he didn't regenerate, thus making 12 realise that he has to move on, too.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Agent Gibbs said:

One thing i don't quite get over the backlash from some chauvinistic men who feel women's place is as an object, is surely they'd like a hot Young Woman to be the Doctor? then they can perv? Or so i'd assume based upon how i'd have thought as a horny stupid teen (which is how i view most people with that sort f view.

Now that I think of it, Christopher Eccleston did a topless scene in Doctor Who, so let's see if the BBC is serious about equality!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Cube said:

I'm thinking that it will be a bit like "It's a Wonderful Life" with 12 showing 1 what would happen if he didn't regenerate, thus making 12 realise that he has to move on, too.

Oh yeah I like that idea!

On 17/07/2017 at 10:36 AM, Serebii said:

@Mr-Paul, you should check out her episode of Black Mirror "Everything About You", as well.

I had seen this when it was first broadcast! Had totally forgotten about her being in it. Watched again the other night, just brilliant.

Started watching some old Eccleston/Tennant eps. Hearing Tennant's Doctor voice shocked me after getting so used to his normal scottish accent in things like Broadchurch recently!

3 minutes ago, Mr-Paul said:

I had seen this when it was first broadcast! Had totally forgotten about her being in it. Watched again the other night, just brilliant.

Started watching some old Eccleston/Tennant eps. Hearing Tennant's Doctor voice shocked me after getting so used to his normal scottish accent in things like Broadchurch recently!

Just think how the rest of us felt who watched Doctor Who first, where it was our first experience of Tennant, it blew my mind when he started talking scottish

5 minutes ago, Agent Gibbs said:

Just think how the rest of us felt who watched Doctor Who first, where it was our first experience of Tennant, it blew my mind when he started talking scottish

Oh I did watch it first! It's gone full circle! From thinking his english was normal and scottish was weird, now it's reversed! 

I fell off the franchise a long time ago but I assume some people watched it tonight.  Any good?

Must say, I do like the "It's About Time" tagline from the adverts. Quite clever better than the writing in the show.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Ashley said:

I fell off the franchise a long time ago but I assume some people watched it tonight.  Any good?

Must say, I do like the "It's About Time" tagline from the adverts. Quite clever better than the writing in the show.

My brother reminded me of it, but I wasn't in the mood. He liked the episode though.

16 hours ago, Ashley said:

I've not watched it since the end of Matt Smith's first season but I watched last nights. It's still basically the same, pretty poorly written and acted for the most part but it looks a lot higher budget than it used to. It was pretty cool to see Sheffield as such a central part of it, the accents were a bit off from a few of the actors though. Whittaker did a pretty good job of it but I think the character is just too self-assured and cocky to create any moments of genuine peril, as much as they can change the actors and the settings they can't change the fact that it follows a strict formula, I was hoping I would really enjoy it and it would bring me back into the series but its just more of the same.

Had a quick look around and the overall feedback seems positive. It also seems to reaffirm my belief it's not for me (it's great it's all-ages, but I want something darker and I know this isn't going to be it). 

I've been watching this for the last month. I'm on season six now. Donna is definitely my favourite companion by far. Catherine Tate and David Tennant had such an awesome chemistry on-screen and I loved every second of that season but I was very sad seeing how it ended. Matt Smith is a great Doctor. I'm tempted to watch the new episode but then I don't know how the Doctor regenerated so I'm not going to. 

However, I do want to leave my opinion on the whole gender change thing: As far as I've seen, from Season 4 onwards, the Doctor has always said that it was a possibility. In Season Six, when they visit the planet where House was eating Tardises left, right and centre and luring Timelords with those voice boxes asking for help, he did say there was a timelord that has changed from male to female numerous times and even said "she was a naughty girl". So this isn't, at all, an issue for me.

The only thing I don't really like is the whole "It's about time" thing and the glass ceiling thing. I get the wordplay and it's clever but I don't want the show to be hung up on the fact the Doctor is a woman. Like someone on here said before, mention it once and then move on. I think the show could really progress doing it like that. The other thing I thought about was the balancing. The Doctor has this reckless side to him, a dangerous side that could potentially make him lose his humane side and his companions, usuaully female, kept him level-headed. Like with Christopher Eccleston and Billie Piper in "Dalek". The Doctor wanted to harm the Dalek, Rose reached out to him and said he's defenceless and vulnerable. Another example was David Tennant and Catherine Tate in The Christmas Bride when the Doctor wouldn't stop drowing the huge Spider-alien and Donna told him he can stop. Or even in the Pompeii episode where Donna asks the Doctor to save someone. 

Also, no forced quirkiness. I liked the show when they wasn't sure what type of personality he was going to have. I hope they've done that this time too.

On 10/9/2018 at 9:00 PM, Animal said:

The only thing I don't really like is the whole "It's about time" thing and the glass ceiling thing. I get the wordplay and it's clever but I don't want the show to be hung up on the fact the Doctor is a woman. Like someone on here said before, mention it once and then move on.

I get the feeling the 'it's about time' tagline with only be used for the initial marketing for this series and beyond her mentioning she was surprised to be a woman and a couple of jokes in the first episode I doubt they'll mention it much after that in the actual programme. 

I get the feeling the 'it's about time' tagline with only be used for the initial marketing for this series and beyond her mentioning she was surprised to be a woman and a couple of jokes in the first episode I doubt they'll mention it much after that in the actual programme. 
Ah, that's good. Also, near the end of Season 6. I completely forgot about River Song's past!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk