NEurope
KKOB

Doctor Who

Speaking of that

I'm pretty sure that The Doctor is aiming at the hand mines, not Davros. Especially as he had a Dalek weapon - The Doctor wouldn't use a weapon created by Davros to kill Davros before he made it.

So, they've announced a new Doctor Who TV spin-off.

It's called Class and is set at the Coal Hill School

Doctor Who is finally getting another spinoff – this time from acclaimed Young Adult writer Patrick Ness (A Monster Calls).

BBC Three's YA drama Class will be set in the halls of Coal Hill School, where The Doctor's companions Ian Chesterton, Barbara Wright and Clara Oswald have all worked.

Doctor Who's Coal Hill School

© BBC

Doctor Who's Coal Hill School

Doctor Who in crisis? The big questions facing the Saturday night sci-fi

The heroes of Coal Hill School are the students themselves, as they fend off threats to London from intergalactic monsters and other scheming baddies.

Class - which airs next year - will be the first television series for Ness, the author behind the wildly popular sci-fi Chaos Walking novels.

Steven Moffat said today (October 1): "No-one has documented the dark and exhilarating world of the teenager like Patrick Ness, and now we're bringing his brilliant story-telling into Doctor Who. This is growing up in modern Britain - but with monsters!"

"I'm astounded and thrilled to be entering the Doctor Who universe, which is as vast as time and space itself," Ness added. "There's so much room there for all kinds of amazing stories, and to work with Steven Moffat and Brian Minchin to find a place to tell one of my own has been an absolute joy.

"I can't wait for people to meet the heroes of Class, to meet the all-new villains and aliens, to remember that the horrors of the darkest corners of existence are just about on par with having to pass your A-Levels."

Class will not actually be Ness's first foray into Doctor Who, having penned the Fifth Doctor e-book Tip of the Tongue for the series' 50th anniversary a few years ago.

Patrick Ness

© Getty Images / Roberto Ricciuti

Writer Patrick Ness

The setting of Coal Hill School for Class harkens back to the beginnings of Doctor Who in 1963.

Two teachers from the school - Ian Chesterton and Barbara Wright – actually became the First Doctor's companions after stumbling upon the TARDIS in pilot episode 'An Unearthly Child'.

Much more recently, the 12th Doctor's current companion Clara Oswald has been shown teaching English at Coal Hill.

There is no indication that Clara Oswald will be a part of Class, given that actress Jenna Coleman has announced her departure from Doctor Who.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s7/doctor-who/news/a671508/doctor-who-is-getting-a-young-adult-spinoff-called-class-from-a-monster-calls-writer-patrick-ness.html#~ppW8ACkuVdUwML

It's for BBC Three... will be annoying if BBC Three only exists online by the time it comes around :( I like watching on the telly!

Taken from GAF

Patrick Ness has been tweeting about the new spinoff. Some interesting things:

- Clara isn't in it

- Airs on BBC3 (online) first, then BBC 1, and as it airs on BBC1 the next episode is put online. So online will be one week ahead, it seems.

- It will apparently be darker than people are expecting, and he's saying people shouldn't get too obsessive over the YA-label. He says he's got some 'evil, evil' stories planned.

Was the last episode a 2-parter? I missed the 2nd episode because of other plans, missed the 3rd becaude I totally forgot, and if it's a 2-parter there's no reason to watch the 4th. This isn't going well, haha. May have to watch it on Netflix when it arrives..

Was the last episode a 2-parter? I missed the 2nd episode because of other plans, missed the 3rd becaude I totally forgot, and if it's a 2-parter there's no reason to watch the 4th. This isn't going well, haha. May have to watch it on Netflix when it arrives..

Yeah, it looks like most episodes this season will be two parters.

Anyway, these two were bloody good.

I get why they did it, but I dislike that they had to explain the entire concept of an ontological paradox. Even though I had guessed it'd be the case, the fact they had to spell it out for people is sad. Makes sense though else people may not understand and just call it "nonsense"...

...which unfortunately I have seen.

I haven't been watching avidly this year but I thought the Zygons episode was very good. There's something about Peter Harness's scripts that do it for me (I also loved his episode last year, "Kill The Moon") - they are straightforward-but-entertaining, and he's my number one choice to take over as head writer. It felt like Russell T Davies quality.

And the next episode isn't part 2. It kind of just...stopped. It didn't end.

Still nowhere near as bad as the Peter Kay, but on par with the Moon/Forest episodes.

I did think it was well directed, though.

I got round to watching saturday nights episode, what a waste of my time!

the story was convoluted even for a doctor who episode? sleep dust evolved due to using a machine that altered brain waves to make you not need sleep/condense it? how the hell would that affect the dust particles your eyelashes collect and move to the corner of your eyes? I know its fiction but suspension of disbelief only goes so far

then theres the episode style, the introduction to some characters, not really to others, and the fact it just ended

It was boring and odd

If this season doesn't pick up soon, i think i'm going to wait till the next Doctor or some writers who actually know how to make an interesting plot and/or use Capaldi

I think half the issue is they have started to aim the show more at kids, whilst adopting more classic Dr Who elements to retain fans, with the end result being something uninteresting to all

This series has been getting progressively worse. I don't even tune in to watch it anymore, I iPlayer it if I'm bored. Capaldi is being completely wasted.

I thought the Zygon two-parter was one of the best stories they've ever done, rounded off perfectly with that scene in the Black Archive at the end of the Zygon Inversion. Capaldi's speech was absolutely heart-wrenching, and more than made up for his wasted potential in the last series. I also thought Jenna Coleman was perfect as Zygella/Bonnie, apart from the fact that Clara and Zygella are identical, it was so well-acted it could be easy to forget that they're the same person.

Sleep No More wasn't brilliant, and ended far too abruptly with no resolution from the Doctor's perspective (or the audience's for that matter). I think it's great that they're still taking risks with the format, even if the delivery was sloppy.

I thought the Zygon two-parter was one of the best stories they've ever done, rounded off perfectly with that scene in the Black Archive at the end of the Zygon Inversion. Capaldi's speech was absolutely heart-wrenching, and more than made up for his wasted potential in the last series. I also thought Jenna Coleman was perfect as Zygella/Bonnie, apart from the fact that Clara and Zygella are identical, it was so well-acted it could be easy to forget that they're the same person.

"I made a box which can do two things. Actually there are two boxes but I won't tell you which one does what thing. Now that you've figured out your mistakes for yourself by me shouting at you spelling everything out so you haven't actually figured anything out for yourselves, it's time to reveal that both boxes don't do shit. What a dynamic and entertaining method of conflict resolution."

That's what I took from that episode.

Well

I take back last weeks complaint! That was and amazing episode! Simply brilliant performances from Capaldi and Coleman!

Proper edge of the seat stuff and one hell of a cliffhanger not to mention

Clara is dead now! Will she be revived? Will she stay dead? Will the doctor take her out of her timelines for a few more adventures? Ergo the hint in earlier episodes about watching people die?

Seems like the writers saved up all their ability for that

I loved it.

Proper edge of the seat stuff and one hell of a cliffhanger not to mention

Clara is dead now! Will she be revived? Will she stay dead? Will the doctor take her out of her timelines for a few more adventures? Ergo the hint in earlier episodes about watching people die?

Seems like the writers saved up all their ability for that

I think she's completely dead now, and is the first companion to actually die on-screen (I think, one companion in old Who died off-screen). I really liked how pointless her death is. With all the face deaths the show has had (especilly as cliffhangers), I think they pulled it off really well by making you think that the "omg, I'm going to die speech" is pointless, before making you realise that it's actually happened.

I loved it.

I think she's completely dead now, and is the first companion to actually die on-screen (I think, one companion in old Who died off-screen). I really liked how pointless her death is. With all the face deaths the show has had (especilly as cliffhangers), I think they pulled it off really well by making you think that the "omg, I'm going to die speech" is pointless, before making you realise that it's actually happened.

But what about

Jack_Harkness.jpg

He has died on screen many times

:p

... how the Chronothingy couldn't have been removed. It seemed perfectly able to take it off and be done with when it was on Rigsy, but when it went on Clara suddenly "THE CONTRACT HAS CHANGED. I PROMISED THE CROW A SOUL"

Well that was awesome.

Agreed, I really enjoyed that episode. :D

I sort of guessed what was going on towards the end but it was still a great reveal, should be a good season finale next week. : peace:

What a great episode!

Wonder if they decided to reintroduce the fact that Doctor is a hybrid of Time Lord and a Human (8th Doctor/McGann mentioned that he is half a human on his mother side in the TV movie in 90s) which mean Me could be his mother or not!

When in doubt, punch your way out!

What a great episode!
Wonder if they decided to reintroduce the fact that Doctor is a hybrid of Time Lord and a Human (8th Doctor/McGann mentioned that he is half a human on his mother side in the TV movie in 90s) which mean Me could be his mother or not!

When in doubt, punch your way out!

Na, I think we have some clever wordplay

The Doctor said that the hybrid was "me". Obviously we're all meant to think that he's half-human, on his mother's side, but we all know that's bullshit.

So, it's likely when he said that the hybrid was me, he was referring to Ashildr, who calls herself "Me". So I don't think the Doctor is the hybrid at all, they just wanted that wordplay.

Besides, we've seen the Doctor's mother and she is a Time Lord

The Doctor said that the hybrid was "me". Obviously we're all meant to think that he's half-human, on his mother's side, but we all know that's bullshit.

So, it's likely when he said that the hybrid was me, he was referring to Ashildr, who calls herself "Me". So I don't think the Doctor is the hybrid at all, they just wanted that wordplay.

While I agree with your theory, The Doctor's mother could be written differently as she was never mentioned in-episode as being his mother.

Loved that episode, very suspenseful

it that the skulls were all the Doctors, straight away I though if it's your personal hell you'll die and repeat, like ground hog day

I was expecting Missy to be the villain as it was obviously temporal technology, and all the mentions of confessions made me think of his confession dial

It's obvious Ashildor is the Hybrid of prophecy the hybrid was born of two warrio races - Viking and the Mire! It's bloody obvious, and it can be seen why they would think she was a time lord darlek hybrid, she's effectively immortal like a time lord and as we've seen her lack of memory breeds a lack of emotion quite easily

Next episode should be interest, who is regenerating at the end of the promo? The Doctor - they'd have kept that super quiet!

Clara - popular theory she is a time lord somehow, the monologue in the promo mentioned he'd now broken every one of his rules? Bringing her back with time lord regeneration would break rules! Not to mention allow them to keep Clara but recast the role

Ashildor/Me? Not sure how but she's a wild card

His mother?

Missy?

Rassillion? Not as if they'd get Timothy Dalton back is it?

Edited by Agent Gibbs