NEurope
KKOB

Doctor Who

...I also liked how there was a reference to Robin Williams in there as well - Which is eerie considering that this was filmed months ago - did anyone else notice? :heh:

Didn't notice anything like that, care to elaborate?

Didn't notice anything like that, care to elaborate?

Peter Capaldi remarks 'Captain, my Captain' upon seeing the mechanical man sitting down recharging in the seat when they go beneath the 'Restaurant' or at least I thought it was a reference to Dead Poet's Society so by extension it could be a reference to Robin Williams. Or at least that's how I took it to be anyway, I just thought it eerie being that the episode would have been filmed a good while ago, though it is a famous quote as well but now you could call it a tribute of sorts.

Ah OK, I clearly have read too much into it. :heh:

Good episode though. : peace:

Michelle Gomez seems to be particularly well cast as the 'villain' at the end

For me, Steven Moffat's scripts are becoming more entertaining and humorous. If I have one criticism though, and I hope this is constructive, they never seem to have much plot. Whether the story is very complicated (as they used to be) or of the simpler variety (as they've become), they tend to lack events that lead onto the next. Considering last night's was 80 minutes, not a great deal happened.

On a more positive note, I think Peter Capaldi is going to be a fantastic Doctor. Jenna Coleman is a good actress too - I don't think I've ever seen more acting talent between the two leads on the show. There is a great deal of pathos regarding the Doctor's new, slightly worn incarnation, and I for one can relate to it all too easily. The bit where he said, almost begged "See me, Clara..." was a tour-de-force of acting. Just that slight, slight hint of desperation without letting it overpower him.

Doctor Who has come a long way from those fresh, exciting Christopher Eccleston years - not the last Doctor I liked, but the one I most related to. With Peter Capaldi, it could be set for a new high in terms of character acting.

I really liked the episode, Capaldi has obviously been researching the styles of the older doctors and its influenced him a lot

It was a little slow at the start but it got on tack and was a reasonable episode, although i felt it wasn't the best of season openers, let alone the best new doctor introduction

I wasn't sure the Matt Smith cameo was needed, but i suppose it worked well enough

So was that the Rani at the end? now the Timelords are fair game again surely the Valeyard and Rani are on the cards for villains to revive, and The Rani was meant to be a recurring villain

I really liked the episode, Capaldi has obviously been researching the styles of the older doctors and its influenced him a lot

It was a little slow at the start but it got on tack and was a reasonable episode, although i felt it wasn't the best of season openers, let alone the best new doctor introduction

I wasn't sure the Matt Smith cameo was needed, but i suppose it worked well enough

So was that the Rani at the end? now the Timelords are fair game again surely the Valeyard and Rani are on the cards for villains to revive, and The Rani was meant to be a recurring villain

Your spoiler tags....yes I would have thought so but there are plenty of people who have been convinced she was Person X, Y and Z in the past.

Gallifrey still needs to be saved, so The Rani is probably still stuck on Gallifrey for now. One possibility is a female version of The Master. I can see him/her being insane and claiming The Doctor to be her "boyfriend". It would also be the way for the BBC to test the waters of a male to female regeneration.

It's also possible that she's the TARDIS.

Gallifrey still needs to be saved, so The Rani is probably still stuck on Gallifrey for now. One possibility is a female version of The Master. I can see him/her being insane and claiming The Doctor to be her "boyfriend". It would also be the way for the BBC to test the waters of a male to female regeneration.

It's also possible that she's the TARDIS.

No to your last point.... and infact no to the...

Master as well even....when he regenerated to John Simm he said he made himself younger so he can match the Doctor. I think they'd be doing the duel a massive disservice if they didn't cast a grand old man to play The Master.

On another note I'm really interested to see what people think as time goes on how people view this "older" Doctor.

Well I enjoyed watching Into the Dalek even if no one else did. :p

2/10 would not bang.

Seriously though, thought that episode was pretty poor and im not sold on PC. I wasn't too sure of him in the first episode but the Matt Smith cameo convinced me to give him a try. Its almost like he has been too influenced by previous doctors and isn't coming across as himself... If that makes any sense. IM sure he will grow on me just as Matt Smith did!

I din't like that at all, and i don't think it was Capaldi's portrayal either, i think it was just a rubbish plot for an episode with rally un-compelling support characters

The latest episode was great. Easily the best Dalek episode since the show started again.

Boo to all you miserable people. Best Dalek episode for aages! Better than the premiere for sure. The thing is, Capaldi is an unlikable doctor, but I think he's great in the role and we'll get used to him more as the series progresses. Matt Smith, David Tennant and Chris Eccleston had affable, outgoing personalities, which made them easy to get used to. Capaldi's Doctor is a very different character to what we've previously seen.

I think Capaldi is great. He isn't helped by the writing which swings between being abhorrent to sometimes quite good. And the stories, it's only been two episodes and while I didn't like the first episode that much, the second was better.

Actually, I tend to hate all the episodes set in the past. But that's just me.

I've loved both episodes so far. Capaldi's Doctor is proving to be incredibly interesting. I love how both episodes have focused on re-examining who exactly the Doctor is.

Capaldi is the first doctor since nuWho started where I've liked them immediately. The other three did eventually grow on me though.

A very fun episode.

Also, some of you may of heard about a scene that was cut. While this wasn't noticable, I read up on it and it was more than I thought.

Robin Hood beheads the Sheriff. The Sheriff's head then explains that he was the captain of the ship, but was damaged in the crash so he was rebuilt as a cyborg.

So, instead of a robot getting thrown into molten gold as it's the only way to kill it, we get a death scene of a human being thrown into molten gold.

It also means that Robin jumping onto that beam was actually him being intelligent, instead of him being pompous and showing off.

Edited by Cube

I thought that episode was brilliant. Funny but with weight behind it. Surprising because I almost always hate the non-future ones.