NEurope
KKOB

Doctor Who

I’d hate to lose Matt Smith so quickly! I want to see him as the doctor for a few more years. But yeah, now I’m very curious about the announcement.. Where will it be announced? The website? Television? General press release?

Sounds about right, I feel like they've wrung a good arc out of him and it's the right time for a fresh face. Fingers crossed for an older doctor and/or our first non-white Doctor.

Sounds about right, I feel like they've wrung a good arc out of him and it's the right time for a fresh face. Fingers crossed for an older doctor and/or our first non-white Doctor.

Can do multiple arcs with one...there's no need to have a regeneration just for another arc

I never gave my thoughts on the last series, but I'd be sorry to see Matt Smith leave. He's a fantastic actor and made the Doctor likeable.

Personally, I never liked the overcomplication or "dark fairytale" tone of Steven Moffat's first two series, but I always liked Matt Smith himself. Series 3 got it just right, in my opinion. My favourite episodes were The Power of Three, Hide and Cold War (Ice Warrior was very cool). Strax made me laugh my head off in the last episode and Clara was just perfect all the way through.

So, overall, I'm not keen on a shake-up just as they've perfected the formula!

Announcement on the site itself:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/doctorwho/articles/Matt-Smith-to-leave-Doctor-Who

I’m sad to see him leave, but I was also sad to see Eccleston and Tennant leave. I personally loves all three of them, but with this track record, I’m sure they’ll find a good replacement.

I’m not sure if I have posted this here already, I haven’t posted in a while, but, my wish (and therefore not my speculation), is to have Clara, for some reason, be the new doctor. Ever since I saw her in that first episode, I thought she was great in her interaction with the doctor, and I thought she was a great female counterpart to the doctor. This made me think that having her as a mere companion was a wasted opportunity. But with this news.. I’m beginning to fantasise again! I’d love a female doctor, and I’ve heard they’ve considered that before, so that’s not a problem. Regarding the story, I’m sure they could come up with some sort of explanation. But alas, it’s not going to happen, but I hope we get a good new doctor anyway!

From Matt Smith

"Doctor Who has been the most brilliant experience for me as an actor and a bloke, and that largely is down to the cast, crew and fans of the show. I'm incredibly grateful to all the cast and crew who work tirelessly every day, to realise all the elements of the show and deliver Doctor Who to the audience. Many of them have become good friends and I'm incredibly proud of what we have achieved over the last four years.

Having Steven Moffat as show runner write such varied, funny, mind bending and brilliant scripts has been one of the greatest and most rewarding challenges of my career. It's been a privilege and a treat to work with Steven, he's a good friend and will continue to shape a brilliant world for the Doctor.

The fans of Doctor Who around the world are unlike any other; they dress up, shout louder, know more about the history of the show (and speculate more about the future of the show) in a way that I've never seen before, your dedication is truly remarkable. Thank you so very much for supporting my incarnation of the Time Lord, number Eleven, who I might add is not done yet, I'm back for the 50th anniversary and the Christmas special!

It's been an honour to play this part, to follow the legacy of brilliant actors, and helm the TARDIS for a spell with 'the ginger, the nose and the impossible one'. But when ya gotta go, ya gotta go and Trenzalore calls. Thank you guys. Matt."

When David Tennant left, I thought he couldn't be bettered. I was wrong.

I hope I'm wrong in that Matt Smith can't be bettered, but I'm not hopeful.

Just wish he had another season before leaving, but as the saying goes, leave them wanting more.

Hopefully they don't spoil the identity of the new Doctor. They don't start filming Season 8 until January, so there will be no set reports like there was with Matt Smith, so there's no reason to reveal it early.

What do you mean?... The new Doctor will be on set to film the end of the Christmas Special?

I can't see myself having the same reaction to Matt Smith leaving as I did David Tennant, however great Matt Smith has been at times.

What do you mean?... The new Doctor will be on set to film the end of the Christmas Special?

I can't see myself having the same reaction to Matt Smith leaving as I did David Tennant, however great Matt Smith has been at times.

Yeah, but that'd be on a closed set so they can limit the people who know. It won't be outside on location so not spoiled by the general public who are out watching scenes as they're filmed

Yeah, but that'd be on a closed set so they can limit the people who know. It won't be outside on location so not spoiled by the general public who are out watching scenes as they're filmed
Actually I guess there's nothing to stop them filming that bit completely separately even just a couple of weeks before the Christmas Special goes out and it will likely just be in the Tardis set anyway.

Actually I guess there's nothing to stop them filming that bit completely separately even just a couple of weeks before the Christmas Special goes out and it will likely just be in the Tardis set anyway.

They did that at the end of Season 1 when Eccleston left and Tennant joined...they were filmed months apart

I cant say I care, I haven't really enjoyed him as the Doctor. It'll be interesting to see who they go with.

I suppose it was going to happen sometime!

Let's hope the episode in November & Xmas Special will be a fitting send off to remember him by!

I really enjoyed him as the Doctor, I preferred him to Tennant.

I'm curious as to what's going on with the S7 BluRay Boxset

There's no sign of a complete S7 box, while both halves are out in vanilla releases, so I'm wondering if they're holding off until the two specials and will include it in one big box with all 17 episodes across 7 discs, so the S8 box next year just has S8 with the new Doctor in it

I'm curious as to what's going on with the S7 BluRay Boxset

There's no sign of a complete S7 box, while both halves are out in vanilla releases, so I'm wondering if they're holding off until the two specials and will include it in one big box with all 17 episodes across 7 discs, so the S8 box next year just has S8 with the new Doctor in it

Hmm, maybe! Although the xmas specials do normally appear on the following series boxset.

I don't think I ever gave my opinion of this series as a whole.

A mixed bag for me, some really good eps (the last one being on of them) but then some of them just fell a bit flat at the end, rushed if you will. I miss the more story arch type stuff like the cracks in the wall and some double parter eps would have been good! Some of the episodes in s7 could defo have benefited from that.

Why not just leave it as a surprise everything's spoiled these days.

Actor changes are probably really hard to keep a secret these days like this.

Matt Smith will probably want to sign on and start filming other projects, when that happens and people notice it would be obvious he isn't doing another Dr Who series and the cat would be out of the bag anyway!

Hmm, maybe! Although the xmas specials do normally appear on the following series boxset.

Yeah, but with S5 they put Tennant's specials in their own set because of the crossover. It makes no sense to have a boxset with one story with an old Doctor and then an entire season with the new ones

I just worry about picture quality with all the episodes. S6 had a serious transfer issue, I had to send my BluRays back to get it fixed, and there's still a problem with digital noise which makes me so sad, and it always distracts my rewatching of it

Yeah, but with S5 they put Tennant's specials in their own set because of the crossover. It makes no sense to have a boxset with one story with an old Doctor and then an entire season with the new ones

I just worry about picture quality with all the episodes. S6 had a serious transfer issue, I had to send my BluRays back to get it fixed, and there's still a problem with digital noise which makes me so sad, and it always distracts my rewatching of it

Yeah, good point.

And yeah my S6 was crap on blu ray n all, the quality from BBC HD TV channel was like a million times better. :hmm:

For how expensive the box sets are, I'm surprised to hear the quality isn't perfect.

Yeah, good point.

And yeah my S6 was crap on blu ray n all, the quality from BBC HD TV channel was like a million times better. :hmm:

The fact that, before I sent them back and got the corrected one, most episodes had a third of the screen having severe grain is horrific. This image was sharpened to showcase it but it's essentially what the issue was

5Ih4DMT.jpg

They didn't even publically acknowledge the issue, just said to people who complained that they can send in and get it sorted free of charge.

BluRay is meant to be the pinnacle of quality, but S6 was atrocious. I got the 2011 Christmas special on BluRay, since I lost my recording and it looks like they've fixed the issue. There was zero grain, and I've not heard of any issues with the S7 Part 1 and S7 Part 2 sets, but it's possible that it can happen again, especially if there are 17 episode across 6 discs rather than 14

The fact that, before I sent them back and got the corrected one, most episodes had a third of the screen having severe grain is horrific. This image was sharpened to showcase it but it's essentially what the issue was

5Ih4DMT.jpg

They didn't even publically acknowledge the issue, just said to people who complained that they can send in and get it sorted free of charge.

BluRay is meant to be the pinnacle of quality, but S6 was atrocious. I got the 2011 Christmas special on BluRay, since I lost my recording and it looks like they've fixed the issue. There was zero grain, and I've not heard of any issues with the S7 Part 1 and S7 Part 2 sets, but it's possible that it can happen again, especially if there are 17 episode across 6 discs rather than 14

Wow, mine wasn't quite THAT bad but it was still extremely grainy. I only got the box set last year sometime so I might have got one of the 'improved' ones, but quality was still rubbish and grainy.

Probably would have been better with the DVD version...