NEurope
KKOB

Doctor Who

From the way The Doctor was talking, John Hurt is not the 12th Doctor...he's the 9th Doctor (making Eccleston the 10th, Tennant the 11th and Smith the 12th) and is responsible for the terrible stuff he had to do in the Time War.

Yup that's what I got from it.

If the 50th anniversary has the following exchange as a greeting

11: Doctor, Doctor

10: Doctor, Doctor

Hurt: Doctor, Doctor

I might just scream :p

That was a great finale, finally an ending that doesn’t seem like a cop-out, but a logical conclusion (sort of) to what they’ve been building up to since Clara’s introduction. Though I would have loved to see a future doctor, they could’ve added one in with no trouble.

Awesome introduction, and of course I wonder where he exactly fits in with all the other doctors. I don’t know what’s considered canon with Paul McGann’s doctor, but is it possible John Hurt is playing an older version of him?

That was awesome......oh how i'd love a darker series of Doctor Who with John Hurt as the Doctor

Awesome introduction, and of course I wonder where he exactly fits in with all the other doctors. I don’t know what’s considered canon with Paul McGann’s doctor, but is it possible John Hurt is playing an older version of him?

McGann's Doctor was seen very briefly in the episode.

And how did you manage to gather that?

To me it's obvious he is earlier in he doctors life(as obviously Smith Doctor has no knowledge of his future lives, timeline crossing and all), so he was either the first doctor doing something so terrible he ran from Galifrey with his gran daughter after regenerating and everyone moves up one number

or

Equally as likely the terrible time during the time war he refuses to talk about (bar a brief monologue?) was done by a different doctor (aka Hurt) where he sacrificed his principles so much he refers to that person by his real name refusing to even so much as associate "The Doctor" name with him, and thus Eccleston, Tennant and Smith all move up one in the Doctor life

I must say I haven't been enamoured with this series but that was a very strong episode to cap it. It's only in the last couple of episodes I really feel Clara's been something other than something talking fast following The Doctor around but she had a real presence here. I thought the visual design was inventive & evocative, the looming spectre of the broken Tardis a powerful ghost in the scenery. I just generally felt they finally used this menagerie of characters they had to somewhere near their full potential and it was just great.

The only misstep for me was the weird "Introducing" on-screen credit right at the end. That was a bit weird.

The only misstep for me was the weird "Introducing" on-screen credit right at the end. That was a bit weird.

Yeah that was a little weird and didn't sit quite right with me either,it would have been better to just name him at the start of the credits in that way,but this is a show aimed at all ages and i suspect they were babying people for a reason.....not that they were implying anything about the intelligence of some of their audience of course :laughing:

And how did you manage to gather that?

The Doctor mentions that he did something so terrible that they wont even acknowledge him as The Doctor anymore and whats worse than the mass genocide the Doc caused during the time war?

Just had to rewatch the last coupla minutes of the episode just to remind myself before I would've made a mistaketastic post.

Whatever bad stuff this Doctor did, surely it must be forgiven/accepted since shitloads of life thrived thanks to the Doctors involvement:

All the planets disappearing when he was being raped out of time.

But here's to another season of random shit all being tied up at the end by the final episode to make the fans explode their jizz.

Wikipedia fapping: "The Valeyard... He is described as an amalgamation of the Doctor from between his twelfth and final incarnations." ??

Also about River: When did she die?

Edited by EEVILMURRAY

Just had to rewatch the last coupla minutes of the episode just to remind myself before I would've made a mistaketastic post.

Whatever bad stuff this Doctor did, surely it must be forgiven/accepted since shitloads of life thrived thanks to the Doctors involvement:

All the planets disappearing when he was being raped out of time.

But here's to another season of random shit all being tied up at the end by the final episode to make the fans explode their jizz.

Wikipedia fapping: "The Valeyard... He is described as an amalgamation of the Doctor from between his twelfth and final incarnations." ??

Also about River: When did she die?

River died in series 4 the library episode, basically the first time we seen her on screen. Good old time travel, they have been going in opposite directions kind of thing.

I really enjoyed that episode, good finale!

I am pretty confident it is the 9th doctor. In the centre of the TARDIS episode Clara said she seen the doctors name in the time war book... in this ep the Doctor said he doesn't class John Hurt as a doctor so would have used his real name in this case and so a hint that it is timewar Doctor.

Could be a different battle = more bullshit to fill a new series because the events were so terrible none of it was revealed. EVER.

Could be a different battle = more bullshit to fill a new series because the events were so terrible none of it was revealed. EVER.

Lol, possibly but Moffat likes dropping hints in episodes and I reckon that one in Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS was one of them.

it would be a missed opportunity if they didn't do an episode based in the Time War with john Hurt as the Doctor, assuming thats the era he is from

it would be a missed opportunity if they didn't do an episode based in the Time War with john Hurt as the Doctor, assuming thats the era he is from

My guess is that, due to this timestream thing The Doctor and Clara are still in, Tennand and Smith end up in the Time War.

The 50th Anniversary will then be about either them stopping Hurt and undoing what he did, or realising that the stuff had to be done, accepting him as The Doctor.

My guess is that, due to this timestream thing The Doctor and Clara are still in, Tennand and Smith end up in the Time War.

The 50th Anniversary will then be about either them stopping Hurt and undoing what he did, or realising that the stuff had to be done, accepting him as The Doctor.

Either way, it sounds like it's going to be one hell of an episode, which sounds quite befitting the series 50th Anniversary.

Because it's a special, do we know if it will actually be longer than 45 mins? I'd love the idea of it being the length of a short film, i.e 1 hour 30 mins but I have no idea how practical or logical that would be.

it should me a long episode certainly i mean they have John Hurt in it as well as Tennant and Smith, anything less and it will surely seem rushed to fit all them in it

Either way, it sounds like it's going to be one hell of an episode, which sounds quite befitting the series 50th Anniversary.

Because it's a special, do we know if it will actually be longer than 45 mins? I'd love the idea of it being the length of a short film, i.e 1 hour 30 mins but I have no idea how practical or logical that would be.

Reports are coming in that it's 90 minutes long, but it'll be 60 at least

I think it has been described as "feature length", so 90 minutes is the most likely.

Excellent, I can't wait to see what they do with that amount of time, as it has the potential to be something truly fantastic. :)

It was a bit... 'a new Doctor appears!' :p

This series has kind of dragged for me, and had wasted potential...

But I thought that episode was fantastic, my most enjoyable for a LONG time! Possibly my favourite one of Matt Smith's era... all though I struggle to remember a lot of them right now. I thought he acted The Doctor brilliant in this one, demonstrating his age and lifetime of emotions. The visual effects were kinda cool placing Clara in the timeline. Great story/setting/build-up... and a fantastic dramatic cliffhanger.

Edited by Retro_Link

It was a bit... 'a new character appears!' :p

I thought the exact same thing

Absolutely loved it. They just pulled everything off perfectly. The opening pulled you in instantly, and when it was finally revealed what Trenzalore was, I almost blurted out "Of course!" It made perfect sense and really helped build up the suspense. Involving Jenny, Strax and Vastra and putting their lives at stake likewise upped the tension and led straight to the fulfilment of the prophecy. The revelation of the Doctor's name was handled so well, and the content of his tomb really took the theme of the Doctor's dark past (which they've particularly touched upon with Smith's Doctor) to its logical and inevitable conclusion. As soon as they revealed it, I realised where it was going, and it just seemed like the perfect explanation for Clara's character: She's been with the Doctor throughout his entire life, and as such the "Clara is a manifestation of Doctor Who" theory actually turned out to be true in a sense while still making sense within the show. River's send-off was also done really well and was a truly satisfying end to the character.

Now, here's something a bit weird: The idea of a person falling into a rift in time and being scattered into countless incarnations all throughout the ages is actually one that's been bouncing around in my head since I started watching Doctor Who. Now I need to come up with a new idea if I ever decide to write a Doctor Who/general time travel novel. :heh:

Unlike many others, apparently, I loved the "Introducing John Hurt as The Doctor" text. :heh: It just really hammered home the twist, I felt. It also more or less confirmed the spoilers about the 50th anniversary I'd had the misfortune of stumbling upon. Now I simply cannot wait for autumn.

@Dannyboy\-the\-Dane Looking foward to your novel! :):heh: : peace:

... I blew into the thread on a leaf.

I saved up the two episodes before the finale and watched them altogether in a row on Saturday for a pure Doctor Who Spectacle. :grin:

"Impossible Girl, a mystery wrapped in an enigma squeezed into a skirt that's a little bit to...tight."

tumblr_mn5qtwfLk61s50ruqo1_500.gif

I really really enjoyed, almost everything about the last episode. The only thing I was a bit disappointed in were the Whisper Men the episode sets them up nicely at first:

Do you know the Whisper Men?

The Whisper Men are near

If you hear the Whisper Men

Then turn away your ear.

Do not hear the Whisper Men

Whatever else you do

For once you've heard the Whisper Men

They'll stop...

and look at you.

I thought they'd be like the Silence or the Weeping Angels as they had that quality about them that plays on your base fears as a human but they were a bit of a non event by the episodes end. I hope they come back some time as I thought their design was good.

Other than that I thought it was GREAT. :D Doctor Who has been missing out on the Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey...Stuff! and we got a that in abundance this episode.

Where is my Jenny, Strax and Vastra spin-off? :p

I'm ranking my favourite episodes from this half of the season because mainly i love lists. :grin:

The List:

1. Name of the Doctor

2. Hide

3. The Crimson Horror

4. The Rings of Akhaten

5. Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS

6. The Bells of St. John

7. Cold War

8. Nightmare in Silver