NEurope
KKOB

Doctor Who

You're kidding, right? That was one of the bad points, along with the unecessary romance, and the doctors newly invented telepathy. Robots that are cold and ruthless enough to use the body parts of the passengers to repair the ship I can accept, robots that pursue one individual through time for no given reason I can accept, but robots that are so stupid they think the best possible match for the ships computer is the brain of the person it was named after is just ridiculous.

The Doctor being able to see into Madame de Pompadour's mind isn't something that's just been made up on the spot. The Doctor says Time Lords are telepathic in "The Deadly Assassin", and the Second and Third Doctors could telepathically talk to each other in "The Three Doctors".

The romantic part didn't seem too out of place to me either. A big theme of this series so far has been mortality - the reason the Doctor left Sarah Jane was because he didn't want to watch her grow old and die while he lived on for hundreds of years more. And then along comes a girl (a French girl, no less, lucky bastard) who has some kind of mental gift in that she could make a two-way mental connection when the Doctor was peering into her mind. I can't remember the exact dialogue from the episode, but I think the Doctor said he'd never experienced that before. When the Doctor leaves the Madame, there's an accelerated example of the exact thing he doesn't want to experience - time passes by and claims human life while he goes on living.

And, the robots weren't being stupid. They can't be stupid. They don't have intelligence of their own, and got to the conclusion of needing the Madame's brain in a cold, logical way. I'll admit, it was a little daft, but that's what Doctor Who's about - daftness with heart.

Well The Doctor did say he doesn't enjoy using the telepathy too much (the emotional ramifications and all that). Granted its might be a Dues ex machina, but its not a flebotnam.

Anyway. Nice episode and um stuff. Sorry the only thing that grabs me is the Buffy line:

Buffy: "I'm the thing monsters have nightmares about."

But yeah, I liked it, but then im fairly passive. Unless its terrible its going to be alright.

im sorry if anyone has noticed already but if you go on the doctor who website and clcik o the girl in teh fireplace homepage look what mickey is wearing....... :D

was good! felt the acting was pretty bad by the support actors in the first few scenes but was loving the cybermen and how its an alternate reality and the doctor didnt expect things to be different!

anyway thats next weeks episode set up so expect to be knocked for six i say!

I thought there were quite a few duff bits, not least the first guy's death, but I liked it overall. All I really wanted was to have a setup for 45 minutes of all out non stop fucking Cyber-genocide next week.

A definite improvement, but still a bit meh.

The cybermen themselves just felt wrong, their voices were stupid, they seemed more like robots than proper cybermen, they're just meant to be emotionless people with robot bodies, not mindless robots in the shape of people. And I know they're alternate reality cybermen, but wasn't the transformation a little on the quick side, from people with earpieces to full fledged robots just like that.

And why, oh why, can't they ever visit earth, even in an alternate reality, without checking in on the Tyler family? The story could have easily worked without them if they'd stuck with Mickey and teamed up with Ricky, but no, it has to be all about Rose again.

I think the main problem is the weak writing though, I could overlook all the small faults and changes if only they had some strong stories. Battlestar Gallactica is a perfect example of where they remake an old show with some controversial changes (female Starbuck, human Cylons, etc...) but it actually works because it has a strong storyline and is well written, shame the same can't be said of Dr Who.

How fucking awesome would it be to find out that the reason Lumic was able to create such advanced cyborgs was because the actual Cybermen from Mondas gave him the technology in exchange for using Earth as a mass production facility for a Cyberman army?

How fucking awesome would it be to find out that the reason Lumic was able to create such advanced cyborgs was because the actual Cybermen from Mondas gave him the technology in exchange for using Earth as a mass production facility for a Cyberman army?

Highly unlikely though, cybermen helping a human?

Another thing I forgot to mention earlier, the new cybermens battlecry of 'delete', stupid voices aside I can't see it taking off, it just doen't have the ring of 'exterminate', does it?

Anyone else noticed how Torchwood has been mentioned in every episode to date? New Earth (sure I heard it in there somewhere), Tooth and Claw (Torchwood house is founded by Queen Victoria), Episode 3 (Mickey denied access on Tardisode to UFO pictures by Torchwood), Girl in the Fireplace (again I heard it), Rise of the Cybermen ("how's it going at Torchwood?") and The Christmas Invasion, Torchwood eliminated the Sycorax.

Highly unlikely though, cybermen helping a human?

If it gets them an army of six billion, I'm sure they would. Plus, Lumic doesn't want to die, so he'll probably end up becoming a Cyberman too.

Anyone else noticed how Torchwood has been mentioned in every episode to date? New Earth (sure I heard it in there somewhere), Tooth and Claw (Torchwood house is founded by Queen Victoria), Episode 3 (Mickey denied access on Tardisode to UFO pictures by Torchwood), Girl in the Fireplace (again I heard it), Rise of the Cybermen ("how's it going at Torchwood?") and The Christmas Invasion, Torchwood eliminated the Sycorax.

Yes, it's the worst case of subliminal advertizing known to man.

Yes, it's the worst case of subliminal advertizing known to man.

Everything is subjective. You could say your signature is subliminally advertising beer. The Torchword institute could be important to a later (Doctor Who) storyline.

A character in the last episode has been credited as Head of Torchwood.

However, who is Gemini? In that episode there was references to Gemini as a person...Maybe if there is an alt-Torchwood there is an alt-Doctor who might be played by Christopher Eccleston (very very very very doubtful though as he wants nothing to do with the show) or David Tennant.

Also, there were some more Cybermen suits made without the big Cybus logo on the front. It has been stated that there will be Cybermen not created by Lumic. Also, the synopsis for the final episode on Outpost Gallifrey is "the Cybermen find away into our universe with help from an old friend (well, enemy) of the Doctor." It has been widely rumored to be the Master, Davros, the Gealth and the Dalek Emporer (has been scene doing more recording in a studio however this has been regarded as just promotional footage or something) but perhaps it is the Mondas Cybermen.

Also, if there is an alt-Lumic, maybe there is a Lumic from our world. In the alternate universe he was creator of the Cybermen, in ours ... creator ... of ... the daleks! Aka Davros!!

Ooooooooooh Speculicious!!

I think the term "Delete" was rather rubbish but far better then old Cybermen catchphrases like "Excelette!" and "Eradicate!"

i think its a bit like "bad wolf" being written everywhere in the last series.

anyway i guess mickey sacrificies himself by doing something to save the doctor and rose. Just a guess.....

A character in the last episode has been credited as Head of Torchwood.

However, who is Gemini? In that episode there was references to Gemini as a person...Maybe if there is an alt-Torchwood there is an alt-Doctor who might be played by Christopher Eccleston (very very very very doubtful though as he wants nothing to do with the show) or David Tennant.

Also, there were some more Cybermen suits made without the big Cybus logo on the front. It has been stated that there will be Cybermen not created by Lumic. Also, the synopsis for the final episode on Outpost Gallifrey is "the Cybermen find away into our universe with help from an old friend (well, enemy) of the Doctor." It has been widely rumored to be the Master, Davros, the Gealth and the Dalek Emporer (has been scene doing more recording in a studio however this has been regarded as just promotional footage or something) but perhaps it is the Mondas Cybermen.

Also, if there is an alt-Lumic, maybe there is a Lumic from our world. In the alternate universe he was creator of the Cybermen, in ours ... creator ... of ... the daleks! Aka Davros!!

Ooooooooooh Speculicious!!

I think the term "Delete" was rather rubbish but far better then old Cybermen catchphrases like "Excelette!" and "Eradicate!"

Would be nice to see the Master or Davros return, but I can't see it happening really.

Lumic may have been getting help from the Daleks though, as I've heard rumours of a future Dalek/Cybermen war, but how ironic would it be for the Daleks to be responsible for the creation of the cybermen. They are an even more xenophobic species than the cybermen, can't see them helping humans with anything really.

According to a trailer I've seen, Lumic has transformed his body into a Cyberman. Was it Hamish that said something about the Cybermen in the final two episodes?

Torchwood is the name of the spin off show they're creating from Doctor Who not another Bad Wolf thing.

Torchwood is the name of the spin off show they're creating from Doctor Who not another Bad Wolf thing.

It's still a 'Bad Wolf thing' in the sense that the writers are trying to get it mentioned in almost every episode, if they can.

Anyway, I really liked tonight's episode. Shame they resolved the cliffhanger so easily, but apart from that, it was great. Lots of action and excitement, and a really well done ending.

According to the "Tooth & Claw" commentary it's both. Torchwood may be the name of the Captain Jack spinoff, but apparently they also play a large part in the finale.

I loved this episode. In Parting of the Ways it never gave a good impression that there were loads of Daleks, but tonights episode really did.

Also, Torchwood features in the last episode. The episode description for "Doomsday" is "The cybermen appear in our universe with help from someone from the Doctors past..."

Could well be Jack. Look, Torchwood is featured in this series. It mainly features as "Queen Victoria founded it..." and "It is in the last epsiode." That is all casual viewers need to know. However, what happens in between this is the spin-off show "Torchwood."